Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TeraFactory & Cybertruck coming to Austin Tx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Elon did tweet that "Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately", and Austin is where tech is in Texas. Unless of course "immediately" falls into "3 months maybe, 6 months for sure" after "soon" in Elon vernacular, so meaning never.
Can he make such major decisions on his own?
I’m all for moving the factory to Texas. Our office/warehouse lease ends in 6 months and we’re moving to Texas. Would be nice to have Tesla there too. I’m just wondering if right now is the best time to move, they’re finally back to work with I’m sure quite a backlog of orders

maybe stay put another year.

Can he make such major decisions on his own?
I’m all for moving the factory to Texas. Our office/warehouse lease ends in 6 months and we’re moving to Texas. Would be nice to have Tesla there too. I’m just wondering if right now is the best time to move, they’re finally back to work with I’m sure quite a backlog of orders

maybe stay put another year.
Elon never said factory, only HQ and future programs. Existing production would continue (presumably until Elon finds a better alternative). Of course, his tweet, like many others in the past, may be completely disconnected from reality and just a bunch of hot air.

Fremont production will stay, depending how Tesla is treated. People tend to go where they are welcome.

Many California business owners complain that there seems to be an adversarial relationship between them and Government.

Lots of regulations (Paint shop is struggling), higher wages, more restrictions, higher minimum wages, more expensive overtime, more time off for child bonding for both parents...lots and lots of issues that drive up their costs of doing business and reducing their profits.

As an example, when Elon exercises his latest stock options, he will pay $1Billion more in taxes to California for the privledge of running his business here, rather than in Texas. Imagine he would rather spend that $1Billion on populating Mars than to support another stupid Diesel Train in California.

California is a fantastic place for innovation and fresh ideas, but for continuing to produce here in volume the finances do not make sense.

1 TeraFactory = 2^10 GigaFactories

Unless the factory is making hard drives, in which case 1 TeraFactory = 1,000 GigaFactories, and yes, you should be pissed about the missing 24.
It's a TeraFactory, not a TebiFactory.;)
I think you are dating yourself here. In this century (techincally since 1998) we use Binary prefix - Wikipedia. Welcome to the 21st Centutry! :p

You also have to account for Tesla math, there 81KWh battery is called 85KWh, etc. Or maybe it will be like P85D hp, TeraFactory will be 1000 times more capable, except for property and building size and number of employees, but otherwise totally capable.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
It's a TeraFactory, not a TebiFactory.;)
I think you are dating yourself here. In this century (techincally since 1998) we use Binary prefix - Wikipedia. Welcome to the 21st Centutry! :p

You also have to account for Tesla math, there 81KWh battery is called 85KWh, etc. Or maybe it will be like P85D hp, TeraFactory will be 1000 times more capable, except for property and building size and number of employees, but otherwise totally capable.
Theoretically they’ll have the *land for it. But not the building.

Theoretically they’ll have the *land for it. But not the building.
May be Tesla might start to install an assembly line under an Industrial tent like in Fremont to build the Model Y:

Tesla's next factory is going to be in Austin, Texas and it's going to happen quickly - Electrek

We are told that the decision for the site is not set in stone since Tesla was apparently given a few options
in the greater Austin area, but Musk is said to want to start construction extremely soon
and aims to have Model Y vehicles coming out of the plant by the end of the year.

It would be an even more aggressive timeline than Gigafactory Shanghai.

However, we are told that Tesla would aim to only have a general assembly line ready on that timeline
and it would keep building the factory around the first phase in order to increase production capacity of different parts next year.​

Fremont production will stay, depending how Tesla is treated. People tend to go where they are welcome.

Many California business owners complain that there seems to be an adversarial relationship between them and Government.

Lots of regulations (Paint shop is struggling), higher wages, more restrictions, higher minimum wages, more expensive overtime, more time off for child bonding for both parents...lots and lots of issues that drive up their costs of doing business and reducing their profits.

As an example, when Elon exercises his latest stock options, he will pay $1Billion more in taxes to California for the privledge of running his business here, rather than in Texas. Imagine he would rather spend that $1Billion on populating Mars than to support another stupid Diesel Train in California.

California is a fantastic place for innovation and fresh ideas, but for continuing to produce here in volume the finances do not make sense.
If it wasn't for California Tesla would not exist. Who has been supporting Tesla in their infant stages? Californians. Who has bought @50% of all Tesla's? Californians. Musk throws an unhinged, entitled billionaire tantrum and wants to move to Texas? A state that won't even allow him to sell Tesla's. If the board of directors was to approve this move - and it is up to them - then they are just weak puppets. Maybe it is time to send Musk to the abyss like Apple did with Jobs so that he can come back enlightened.

I wouldn't be so sure. Do you know where their property is and how big it is, or just assuming that everything in Texas is big? Austin is a tech hub like Dallas, so I suspect properties there are not Texas big (I lived around Dallas once, properties were smaller than around Seattle).
I was piggybacking off your joke about the model s theoretically being able to produce 691 horsepower... they just don’t have the battery to supply the power... they have one thing but not the other.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec