Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrible Service Experience Springfield NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, I just wanted to share a quick story with you all.

About two weeks ago I drove over a small puddle in my Model 3. Immediately afterwards, I started hearing a very loud scraping sound underneath my car. I then pulled into the next parking lot that I saw and parked my car. Upon checking the underside of my car, I discovered the the black paneling underneath my car had completely fallen off. My logic was that the puddle hit the top of the car and took it off.

Later, a friend picked me up and I went to go buy some duct tape. I was able to tape it up and get the underside secured. I then immediately scheduled a service appointment in Springfield.

I had my service appointment today. I described the issue to them and asked that they keep me updated/informed. About and hour or so later they call me and let me know my car is ready. I go to the counter and they slap me with a huge bill. I was shocked that this incident wasn’t covered under warranty especially since it’s a classic poor tesla craftsmanship issue. Similar to the many cases of rear bumpers falling off model 3s from puddles. Or the awful imperfections that are now famous in model y. The service rep didn’t care. I was shocked. I was never given an estimate. I was never even consulted with. I never signed a single document. I never even consented to the work.

The rep there brushed me off. Now I don’t even know what to do. Tesla doesn’t have a customer service number (the customer care number is useless). There is no one to speak to. This entire situation is disgusting and has been so distasteful. Not sure how Tesla wants to grow doing business like this. Their cars have build issues and they don’t even take responsibility or care.

• Informative
Reactions: LionXng
Check your vehicle repair regulations in NJ. My experience here in Virginia is that they present an electronic estimate and if it is over 10% more, Virginia requires your approval before the work is started. Your situation sounds a little unusual. When you explained how the damage occurred, did you ask for a written estimate?

When the cause is a poor build. Yes. Had they given me an estimate I would have declined it. They didn’t even give me a choice. Worst service experience I’ve ever had.
Why do you think it has anything to do with poor build quality?

Did you inspect the shield prior to the incident?

People don’t seem to understand the amount of force driving over water produces.

Check your vehicle repair regulations in NJ. My experience here in Virginia is that they present an electronic estimate and if it is over 10% more, Virginia requires your approval before the work is started. Your situation sounds a little unusual. When you explained how the damage occurred, did you ask for a written estimate?

Yes. I requested an estimate and they did the work behind my back. Very disgusting staff there.

Why do you think it has anything to do with poor build quality?

Did you inspect the shield prior to the incident?

People don’t seem to understand the amount of force driving over water produces.

I don’t think. I know. Tesla has been known to have major build quality issues. Don’t get me wrong. I love the car but would appreciate it if tesla actually backed their product up. Ive driven over puddles that were 50 times worse and never had an issue in other cars. I love my model 3 but it’s no secret that tesla has major build quality issues. You should see the hood of my car. It doesn’t close straight. I’m okay with that. That’s the sacrifice I made because I love the car. But don’t make me pay for a terrible build.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
I don’t think. I know. Tesla has been known to have major build quality issues. Don’t get me wrong. I love the car but would appreciate it if tesla actually backed their product up. Ive driven over puddles that were 50 times worse and never had an issue in other cars. I love my model 3 but it’s no secret that tesla has major build quality issues. You should see the hood of my car. It doesn’t close straight. I’m okay with that. That’s the sacrifice I made because I love the car. But don’t make me pay for a terrible build.
Any car will have the under carriage shield ripped off when driving through a deep enough puddle of standing water. This is not a Tesla-specific issue. It’s physics.

I’ll try and get the sentry footage of the puddle. But you guys need to stop viciously defending tesla. Trust me. I LOOVE TESLA. I am a fan boy. But the build quality is garbage. The facts are the facts. I even read an article that the model 3 in China is an amazing build and the American one is terrible on electrek. I’ve driven over a Thousand puddles. This never happened to me before in any other car.

Seriously just because it's a Tesla fan forum doesn't mean it has to be a pro Tesla safe space. Any car should absolutely be built to handle reasonable sized puddles since they are one of the normal things that cars will encounter. I would expect that most people who post on here take pretty good care of their cars and aren't recklessly driving then.

At the end of the day people need to remember the Tesla is just another corporation that exists to make money for shareholders. The way they make money just happens to be good for the future of the sustainable economy. As consumers we have to hold them accountable for crappy service or quality.

Seriously just because it's a Tesla fan forum doesn't mean it has to be a pro Tesla safe space. Any car should absolutely be built to handle reasonable sized puddles since they are one of the normal things that cars will encounter. I would expect that most people who post on here take pretty good care of their cars and aren't recklessly driving then.

At the end of the day people need to remember the Tesla is just another corporation that exists to make money for shareholders. The way they make money just happens to be good for the future of the sustainable economy. As consumers we have to hold them accountable for crappy service or quality.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

When I purchased my Model S six years ago I got Free service at least for the first two years. Once I crossed the line time and miles that free service stoped.At the time Tesla would also give you a Tesla loaner, that also stoped. I know that the guys who purchase the Signature cars got more service than I did. The Model 3 owner is going to pay as you go unless the motor falls off.

It's not the quality of build that Tesla is worried about, they don't sell quality they sell geek factor