Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Terrrrrrrrible pick up experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's almost unbelievable how unprofessional and ridiculous my experience has been thus far. It's almost comical.

I received a long awaited text for me to pick up my Black/White PUP w/ FSSD. The date I chose was yesterday 6/27 at 12:00. I live near Fremont so, I was shocked to see that my Pickup location was at the SF Burlingame center. I paid all fees, transferred my insurance and was prepared for delivery.

The morning of, I went to BMW and returned my current lease (early) and took public transportation to the pickup location.
once I arrived I just hung out side and was looking around.I received a call at 1145 stating that my car "didn't make the delivery truck and that it wouldn't be there until maybe 4pm". I was a little annoyed, but told them I'd didn't have anywhere to go so I'd just wait. 2 1/2 hours later the manager comes out and tells me it may be longer and that she'd send me to Fremont in an UBER to pick up my car instead. I agreed and proceeded to wait for her to come back with details. 90 mins later she comes back and tells me that my car was actually not in Fremont but it was on a truck and had just made it to Los Angeles 6 hours away.

So I explain that I'm now stuck with out transportation due to turning in my lease. She says that they can offer me a different color MY (white), which I decline. I waited all this time to get a Black MY. Her other option for me is they could give me a Black MY with a Tow hitch, but I'd be responsible for the $1k upgrade. I already opted for $1k white interior, $7k FSSD, $7k PUP and $1k black paint. I don't need a tow hitch, so I'm not going to pay for that.

So she halfway apologized and that was that. It's now been 24 hours and since I had not received any update. I just called and a service rep said that the car is still in LA no ETA.

I'm bummed, but I'm going to have to cancel my order. The car is amazing. But the customer service is lackluster. I'm not going to spend money to be treated that. Also paired with the build quality issues (that I was already looking past) may just wait until next year. bummer....

That sucks, but sounds like a simple logistics issue. I would not have canceled in your situation, but that decision is certainly yours to make.

I agree, and normally I'm beyond patient. But since it was their logistics issue, they should have given me the MY with the tow hitch free of charge. I mean if it were me, I would have. Or given me a loner car until my order arrived.

a little customer service goes along way.

I agree, they should have offered you a loaner. I don't know about the other car with the hitch. Was that someone else's car or was it one that was rejected for one reason or another? I'm not sure how I'd feel about either of those scenarios.

When I bought my Model 3, it was "lost" for a week. However, I didn't give up my normal car and they were doing a home delivery, so it wasn't that big of a deal. It was a logistics issue and I got passed up the corporate chain until I got to the under-assistant West Coast Promotion man or something. They were all very apologetic, but it was clear that their process has a lot of holes in it and they knew it.

That sucks, sorry to hear. I think you should be able to talk yourself into a loaner. It was their mistake, they acknowledged it. Just ask them to do the right thing before giving up on a car you really want. I have had great service since picking up the car. They drove to my house to install homelink, it was amazing since I’m at least an hour from Tesla service.

• Love
Reactions: Pluggg and raggedy
I would have took the Black on White with a Tow Hitch... The Tow Hitch could be a very useful option.

In fact this is an option that I am particularly looking for.

I understand your frustration but it's the end of quarter and the demand is very high.

So what the procedure when you cancel?

- Can you transfer your order or do you have to buy a new car and get reimbursed later?

$1,000 for the hitch is a good deal. I just paid something like $1,300 to have the Service Center install one on my MX. It was weird though. They did a lot of things to my MX beside the hitch. After spending the entire day in their lounge, I drove the 100 miles home. The next morning I looked at the hitch and thought, “Where is the electrical connection for the trailer?” I called the Service Center and they said it’s there under a black panel. I had to lay on the ground face up to find the connection. IT’S ON THE BOTTOM OF THE HITCH! Seems like a great way to scrape the power cord off on the highway. I’m going to have to talk to them about that.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
For a 'tech' company like Tesla tracking the whereabouts of vehicles stated for delivery should be a pretty simple task. If they cannot do that in a reasonable fashion how in the world do we expect them to build cars properly. Their communications and coordination with their various sales/delivery locations is 3rd world class at best. If I've heard it once I've heard it many times . . . Tesla is Technology Company not a Automobile Manufacturing Company.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Two days before pick up of my new M3 I asked them to ping my car. It was in a rest area in RI. Car was delivered to SC next day and Delivered the day after. They were super busy that Saturday, but I got my car, and they registered it for me in about 90 minutes. Car was in perfect condition. No issues.

Tesla doesn't have cars sitting on the lot, unlike the rest. Have to think about that and the issues that may come with that. It sucks it happened to you, but should have been the back of your mind that stuff can happen and they don't have a back up of the exact one you want in hand. But if BMW sold a car you wanted without telling you by mistake, and they have another one thats more expensive, it's kind of the same thing right?