Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesco chargers now charging (money as well as your car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got chatting to a Zoe owner at my local Tesco who said they had been given a PCN after leaving their car there for 3 hours (max stay was 2, no return within 1), so it does happen.

After he said that I noted that there was specifically a CCTV camera set up pointing to the entrance to the row with the electric chargers on, so it looks like this abuse has at least been anticipated at some sites.

Oh, I have no doubt that ANRP works for issuing tickets for people staying over 2/3 hours (Whatever is signposted), just that I doubt Tesco will manage to track those who park up, leave the site while their car is charging, and come back <2/3 hours later to collect it with (2/3 * 7kwh) charge in it.

Some sites like Costa and McDonalds seem to have a small enough site and few people leaving by foot, and they'll actually issue penalties for leaving the car in their parking.

Oh, I have no doubt that ANRP works for issuing tickets for people staying over 2/3 hours (Whatever is signposted), just that I doubt Tesco will manage to track those who park up, leave the site while their car is charging, and come back <2/3 hours later to collect it with (2/3 * 7kwh) charge in it.

Some sites like Costa and McDonalds seem to have a small enough site and few people leaving by foot, and they'll actually issue penalties for leaving the car in their parking.
I've seen a car park where you needed to validate a barcode on your till receipt against your reg to avoid a ticket. Sadly if people keep abusing this will become the norm.
And then, max parking duration will be based on how much you spent in shop. 1/2 hour for every £50 maybe!

It's automated through ANPR/CCTV in most of them. The surprise arrives a week later though the post!
Indeed, I got one of these "surprises" last week, ParkingEye allege I was parking in the local Morrisons all day. Their cameras clocked me entering at 8.38am in the morning and then leaving 5.48pm that evening. What it failed to pick up was that I was there twice that day, so they failed to clock me leaving at 8.48am and then re-entering again at 5.32pm :mad: Thanks to Teslafi I have access to all the data from the car so they can shove their invoice where the sun doesn't shine.

I've seen a car park where you needed to validate a barcode on your till receipt against your reg to avoid a ticket. Sadly if people keep abusing this will become the norm.
And then, max parking duration will be based on how much you spent in shop. 1/2 hour for every £50 maybe!
I've witnessed situation, where people parked at wickes/pets at home (combined car park), went to one of the stores, bought something (let's say pet food), then crossed the small road to ALDI and got PCN for breach of the parking rules at wickes/pets at home, because that one is "for customers only".

bloke used to sit in the car at the corner of the car park and observe everyone :D

now they got cameras :)