Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesco [VW sponsored Pod Point] charging for Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone can use Tesco's chargers (if they have their own Type-2 cable).

It's provided by Podpoint, so you need their app to confirm the charge within 15 minutes of connecting. It is completely free.

They are sponsored by VW, so you'll see various VW adverts etc around them.

Are Tesco fast chargers available for Tesla , or only for VW?
If so, how is the payment done? Is it thru podpoint app and account or contactless card?
Thanks
Just be very sure of the parking restrictions before you leave it there.

My local Tesco is a 3 hour limit, with 1 hour no return. Others will be different based on the location and how busy they are.

Reactions: MrBadger
Not long in this parish, eh? It'd charge at 50kw depending on your state of charge. What model Tesla/battery do you have? Do the math.
Not long, and not great in math either . I've only charged in superchargers a few times only.
Wanted to know whether Tesco charger is an alternative to Tesla's during long trips, to places where Tesla network is sparse

50kW charger and 77kW battery? Maths says that'll take 1.54 hours to charge from 0 to 100% charge.

We are fortunate enough to have a few free 50kW chargers fairly local to us so "topping up" doesn't take long. Would use a SC if I was on a long trip though.

Wanted to know whether Tesco charger is an alternative to Tesla's during long trips, to places where Tesla network is sparse

As a plan C maybe.

Not all have the faster DC charging and the 7/11kW AC charging will get you 10-15% (depending on car) or so for every hours charge.

More importantly, the AC charge points are quite popular with cars often charging for extended periods of time - the opportunist nature of free/cheap charging. Those with paid DC seem to fare better, but not many Tesco have them - having to pay puts off many that don't need to charge. Pod Point app is pretty good to show what is and is not in use. Lidl, Morrisons, Asda, Sainsburys et. al. also have alternatives in various guises. You just need to know where to look - see apps mentioned below.

But lots of other alternatives for Plan B. Likes of ZapMap, PlugShare, Shell Recharge, Octopus 'Juice' et al. apps and charge networks give info on faster DC charging and slower destination charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: ejvee
Not long, and not great in math either . I've only charged in superchargers a few times only.
The 'free' 7KW charging isn't worth using, it's the same as home charging and would take hours to get anything useful. It might just cover your charge to get to Tesco and back with your shopping.

Some, but not many, Tesco have the 50KW that you pay for, they are about 3x slower than a SuperCharger. What would be a 20min to go from 20-80% on a SuperCharger could take an hour.

There are lots of other chargers, if you use the app ZapMap you can filter these by charging speed. I would generally check out 3 or 4 different options, with public charger you can't just assume they will be working like with a SuperCharger.

So, we have been stranded in charging deserts like Dorset and have found that the Podpoint chargers at Tesco’s are normally working. You do need to use the Podpoint app most of the time and plan to use the maximum stay time (look out for the signs in the car parks). Podpoint app also controls many of the Lidl chargers which are often faster.

Mercifully, Tesla keep on adding new supercharger sites so that areas like Cornwall are no longer a problem. If you are committed to EVs you will find a way, but you may need to change your behaviour patterns and temporarily avoid some areas in favour of others. Good luck and give your feedback on whether chargers are working in Chat on Zap-Map.

Thanks.
How fast would be the charging on 50kW for Model 3? Aren't Tesla super chargers 120 kW (minimum)?
Tesla superchargers quote a maximum speed, not minimum. The latest (V3) Tesla superchargers are capable of 250 kW. As others have said, the actual speed delivered depends upon a number of factors, not least the state of charge of your battery - as it fills, the charge rate slows down considerably. Other factors also include temperature, what car/battery you have, if the charger you are using is 'paired' (not an issue on V3 chargers), etc.

Bumping this as a new Pod Point 50kwh charger has been put into the new local Lidl just round the corner from me.

I used it yesterday (26p hurrah!) and I had to top up via the app before it'd let me start charging when I tried to confirm it. I thought most of them were PAYG? Though there is nowhere to tap contactless cards, just a tiny touchscreen for you to start the charger.

So I topped up £20 of which I used £16. Does that mean the next time I use it, it will start but cut off once the £4 has been used or will it just charge my card the extra? I don't know why they can't just charge your card for what you used instead of having to top up. Slightly annoying.

I don't know why they can't just charge your card for what you used instead of having to top up. Slightly annoying.
I think there are a few reasons for this. One of them is that it reduces the card transaction fees on their side, as you top up potentially less often than you would scan to start a charge. They also have your money in advance, so there's less reliance on them having to deal with calls to their support staff when someone's bank card doesn't work to start a charge. Plus of course your money is now in their account & will sit there until you use it.

Reactions: Nick77
Bumping this as a new Pod Point 50kwh charger has been put into the new local Lidl just round the corner from me.

I used it yesterday (26p hurrah!) and I had to top up via the app before it'd let me start charging when I tried to confirm it. I thought most of them were PAYG? Though there is nowhere to tap contactless cards, just a tiny touchscreen for you to start the charger.

So I topped up £20 of which I used £16. Does that mean the next time I use it, it will start but cut off once the £4 has been used or will it just charge my card the extra? I don't know why they can't just charge your card for what you used instead of having to top up. Slightly annoying.
Hi mate, no it lets you get into a minus to finish the charge so basically you may see -£4 and if you top up £10 you’ll have £6 credit. Really useful that it doesn’t cut out when credit runs out!