Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 2.5 hardware to 3.0 hardware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To the best of our knowledge, the only difference between AP2.5 and AP3 is the computer in the dash. While it is theoretically possible to replace the computer without buying FSD, I doubt that Tesla is interested in doing that for you - their position is that the AP2.5 computer delivers all of the promised feature except for FSD. If you buy FSD, they'll replace the computer for you.

To the best of our knowledge, the only difference between AP2.5 and AP3 is the computer in the dash. While it is theoretically possible to replace the computer without buying FSD, I doubt that Tesla is interested in doing that for you - their position is that the AP2.5 computer delivers all of the promised feature except for FSD. If you buy FSD, they'll replace the computer for you.
Thank you
thank you

Hello everyone
Could I upgrade my model 3 2019 with HW3 with out full self driving?
and Could I have autopilot free on 2019 models?
\Thank you David

If you bought a car without AP, you can buy a license for it from Tesla through the phone application. Probably US$3K

I'd presume that at some time after Tesla have finished the free upgrades for people with FSD licenses, they might provide a price for an upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3.
The fact that they recently started offering an upgrade for US$2,500 for MCU1 to MCU2 gives hope for non-FSD owners that there'll be a a HW2.5 to HW3 upgrade available for some price at some time.

Tesla does sell a computer upgrade for the S and X, but I don’t think they offer it yet for cars with 2.5 - which all Model 3s are before HW3 was used.

from what we read in the press, newly built Model 3s in China that didn’t order FSD were having to be installed with H2.5 because they didn’t have enough of the H3 chips to install at time if build. The car functions and responds the same but you don’t see the more detailed road markers visually on your display that you would with the faster chip. So I don’t see Tesla offering 2.5 cars without FSD the opportunity to upgrade at this point.

Troll. Did you get your car for free too?
If you bought a car without AP, you can buy a license for it from Tesla through the phone application. Probably US$3K

I'd presume that at some time after Tesla have finished the free upgrades for people with FSD licenses, they might provide a price for an upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3.
The fact that they recently started offering an upgrade for US$2,500 for MCU1 to MCU2 gives hope for non-FSD owners that there'll be a a HW2.5 to HW3 upgrade available for some price at some time.
Thank you so much great info....D

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
from what we read in the press, newly built Model 3s in China that didn’t order FSD were having to be installed with H2.5 because they didn’t have enough of the H3 chips to install at time if build. The car functions and responds the same but you don’t see the more detailed road markers visually on your display that you would with the faster chip. So I don’t see Tesla offering 2.5 cars without FSD the opportunity to upgrade at this point.
thank you