Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 got "broken" into

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a very happy Tesla 3 owner, and have a couple of friends who have them as well. One of them recently had his broken into, and unfortunately he did not have Sentry mode activated. He said there were no signs of entry like broken glass or anything like that, he did get a police report, but has no idea how they gained entry to his car. Anyone have any ideas as to how they could have gained access? It's made me a bit paranoid. Thanks in advance!

Maybe he didnt have walk away lock on and forgot to lock it? Maybe he left a key / phone in it? Maybe he shared his tesla password with someone and they broke into it? Maybe he entered his tesla password somewhere? Maybe a friend / child / spouse etc with access to a keycard and or his phone broke into it?

There isnt any info here that you are giving us (or that he likely gave you) that would help you "figure this out"

If the question is, is there an easy way to break into a tesla beside sharing your password, or forgetting to lock it (like every other car), then no I havent heard of one.

and btw... welcome to TMC.

I think that had this problem before. If I remember the situation was as follow:

- When opening the car, the car detected first the passenger phone.

- After driving, I dropped first the passenger in front of a restaurant and then I went to park my car.

- When I came back, the car was unlocked, may be the car was thinking that the (passenger) phone was still inside the car?

Note: I should try again to verify the above comment. I just try to remember. May be I found since another explanation?

Reactions: scorpio47
...It's made me a bit paranoid...

I agree with everyone above.

Most likely the car was unlocked unintentionally.

You don't want that to happen again:

1) Make sure the walk-way-setting is on

2) Listen to the horn to confirm the lock when you walk away. If you don't hear it, check your cell phone app.

For the log, as @Akikiki suggested, you can ask Tesla to get you one but I doubt they would volunteer to do it for free or otherwise they would be flooded with the log requests.

For future log, you might want to pay for Teslafi.com and download its raw.cvs file that tracks the status of your car lock or not.

Reactions: scorpio47
I think that had this problem before. If I remember the situation was as follow:

- When opening the car, the car detected first the passenger phone.

- After driving, I dropped first the passenger in front of a restaurant and then I went to park my car.

- When I came back, the car was unlocked, may be the car was thinking that the (passenger) phone was still inside the car?

Note: I should try again to verify the above comment. I just try to remember. May be I found since another explanation?

I know that if bluetooth is turned off while driving or the phone dies or leaves the car while the car is still in use then walkaway lock doesn't work. It has to have a phone connected when it shuts off for walkaway lock to work correctly. Not sure just how it works with 2 phones.

For the first few days I had my Model 3, it wasn't self-locking and I really didn't understand why.... til I realized that the trunk was imperceptibly open so the car didn't auto-lock. It took a while for me to figure it out particularly since my BMW doesn't work that way... the state of the trunk does not affect whether the passenger doors are lockable in the BMW. Now, I make a point of listening for the horn beep that signals that the Model 3 has locked itself as I walk away.

The car won't autolock if any door is not completely closed. Be especially careful with passengers who may be to gentle in closing their door.

Now you mentioned it: Very true with Model 3 and I assume with Model Y as well.

I came from Model S and X and when I got my Model 3, that's the most problem: not slamming the doors/trunk hard enough.

I use the same force as if they are S and X but that force is not enough for the 3.

I learned that early when I was new to the 3 and kept checking the cell phone to make sure it's locked and no, it's not locked due to the doors/trunk not slammed hard enough.