Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3 isn't perfect, but after a full day rental this BMW driver is buying one!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So VOIP, what’s your opinion now that you’ve had the car several weeks?

I took delivery of my car in late September so I've actually had it now for about two months.

I like the car better now than I did at delivery but there are still a laundry list of items Tesla needs to attend to. I'm too nervous about the shoddy quality and questionable competence of Tesla service to get any of the outstanding issues fixed right at the moment.

When I'm driving the car and it's dialed in just right (no buzzing or rattles, no limited regeneration, etc.) I really feel like I'm in the zone in a way I never did with my previous two BMWs. I went and picked up our Thanksgiving day turkey from a smokehouse joint and it was about a 45 minute roundtrip drive. There was very light traffic, temps were favorable and since I was really blasting the stereo I wasn't irritated by the car's many noise issues. It was euphoric.

On a regular day to day basis though I'm plagued with a number of problems. Some Tesla will be able to fix, some (areas of the car not painted) they won't.

Outstanding issues;

1. There is an obnoxious wind noise that manifests at speeds over about 60mph that is much more evident from the passenger side. It almost sounds like driving with a window cracked open. From reviewing threads it appears that this could be caused by the trim cap above the passenger side mirror bowing out substantially more than on the driver's side. I have not brought this one to Tesla because nobody in the large thread around the issue have reported that they've gotten the problem fixed.
  2. There are a number of buzzes and rattles in the cabin (mostly on passenger side) but the one that is most noticeable, by far, is the rattle coming from the passenger side seat-belt anchor point in the B pillar. A thread on this issue exists and like the one above nobody has reported that Tesla really has a handle on resolving this issue.
  3. I have continued low pressure TPMS alarms in cooler temps from the sensors where the tires are actually at 42-43 PSI but the car is alarming because the TPMS sensors are not adjusting for altitude and report the tires are at 38-39 PSI. Tesla doesn't seem to give a f& about this problem.
  4. I get occasional collision alarms in my neighborhood when I turn onto the main street, am driving at about 15 mph and there is an SUV parked on the right side of the road. I am nowhere near an angle where I would impact this vehicle but the car alarms anyway, it's pretty jarring.
  5. There are large unpainted sections just behind the front doors where you can see the body primer. Now that I've seen it I can't unsee it. I notice it everytime I get in or out of my car now.
  6. I find the media system to be terrible. I feel like I have to divert my attention from the road far too much to do something as trivial as changing the station. Swipe up, get the 1/2 height UI, select the media I want, swipe back down, blah blah blah.
  7. I fold and unfold my mirrors when I enter or exit my garage. I have to similarly peck through menus to do something that was done in my last car with an easily reached switch in the door. It's especially irritating because there's no reason this couldn't be tied to the Homelink open/close action that works pretty well.
  8. Autopilot. Autopilot just sucks. I regret paying $5,000 for it. It scares my wife enough that she doesn't want me using it when she and my son are in the car. It drives worse than a 13 year old driving farm equipment on a dairy farm in rural Vermont (ask me how I know). Was using it to get a break while driving yesterday and, possibly due to the road salt that was down from a small amount of snow the previous night it kept complaining it couldn't execute lane changes. I must have seen "lane change aborted" 20 times during a 30 minute drive. If I needed to change lanes to prepare for an exit that was a good couple of miles up it would slow down dangerously to speeds of around 40-50 mph on a 75 mph highway infuriating drivers behind me and potentially putting my life in danger from someone rear ending me at high speed.
  9. Vampire drain sometimes as much as 10 miles over night in my attached garage. I charge at work so this is quite noticeable, and annoying.
  10. The frunk. I hate closing it. It is screaming for an auto open/close function or at least an auto latching feature.
  11. Tesla service is a joke. I had a squealing noise coming from the front right side of the car shortly after taking delivery. The mobile tech was baffled as what was causing it. Tesla service diagnosed it from a video I made as being a bad hub bearing, seemed reasonable. They made an appointment with me to get it in. When I brought it in they sprung it on me that they would need to keep the car 3-4 days. I said "well, I'll just bring it in at the 3-4 day mark when you're ready to work on it". Nope, the only way to hold my car's position in the work queue was to leave it there, at risk for damage or abuse, for 3-4 DAYS until they finally had time to work on it. When I was perplexed at this state of affairs the service manager helpfully piped up that "Elon tweeted he's going to fix service" like that meant a magic wand was going to be waved and everything was going to be solved. Give me a break. If they want to see how a service operation is supposed to be run all they have to do is go hang out at my local BMW mega-dealer and watch as customers bring cars in to a huge, well lit service bay, hand the car off to a valet.... have the service advisor go over the work that's going to be done, and then whisk away in a brand new complimentary BMW loaner. By comparison Tesla feels like getting service at an understaffed, overworked and marginally competent independent shop that's trying to figure out how to deliver service...
Fun aside, the noise in the car ended up being from a "loose factory object" found in the passenger footwell ducting. Because, you know, when Tesla builds cars they drop *sugar* in them to drive the new owners crazy.

In a way I'm glad that I didn't go any higher optioned on this car than I did. Tesla will continue to improve but some of those improvements will include new hardware. It's also entirely possible that BMW, Audi or Merc (you know, companies that know how to build luxury cars and provide real service) will have a real competitor available in 3-4 years that solves some of these issues.

I get occasional collision alarms in my neighborhood when I turn onto the main street, am driving at about 15 mph and there is an SUV parked on the right side of the road. I am nowhere near an angle where I would impact this vehicle but the car alarms anyway, it's pretty jarring.
I get this on an almost daily basis. It seems like on a curve road the forward collision warning likes to go off. I do have mine set to early though.

Autopilot. Autopilot just sucks. I regret paying $5,000 for it. It scares my wife enough that she doesn't want me using it when she and my son are in the car. It drives worse than a 13 year old driving farm equipment on a dairy farm in rural Vermont (ask me how I know). Was using it to get a break while driving yesterday and, possibly due to the road salt that was down from a small amount of snow the previous night it kept complaining it couldn't execute lane changes. I must have seen "lane change aborted" 20 times during a 30 minute drive. If I needed to change lanes to prepare for an exit that was a good couple of miles up it would slow down dangerously to speeds of around 40-50 mph on a 75 mph highway infuriating drivers behind me and potentially putting my life in danger from someone rear ending me at high speed.
The lane change definitely needs work. However, EAP is great at navigating roads. It's improved a lot since I first got the car and I love using it on long road trips. Makes my drive back and forth from SF and LA so much more pleasant. It works great in pouring rain too.

Vampire drain sometimes as much as 10 miles over night in my attached garage. I charge at work so this is quite noticeable, and annoying.
10 miles a night seems like a lot. I've noticed my drain is pretty random. Sometimes I lose nothing overnight and sometimes I'll lose like 3 or 4 miles after a few hours. On average, it's about the 1% that the manual stated.

10 mile drainage is not normal. Are you using any third party apps on your phone? Do you have Teslafi configured without sleep settings? I generally see 2-4 mile drain when not driving for a day.

On frunk closing, it's like a Porsche frunk. The trick is to apply slow and firm pressure above the emblem. Too many people use a slamming motion that doesn't work as well.

10 mile drainage is not normal. Are you using any third party apps on your phone? Do you have Teslafi configured without sleep settings? I generally see 2-4 mile drain when not driving for a day.

On frunk closing, it's like a Porsche frunk. The trick is to apply slow and firm pressure above the emblem. Too many people use a slamming motion that doesn't work as well.

I don’t have any third party apps. Typically it loses 5 or so miles overnight but I’ve seen it lose more. I pulled into the garage today at 5pm with 144 miles. I realized later that I couldn’t charge at work tomorrow and plugged it in and it was at 139.

There is an obnoxious wind noise that manifests at speeds over about 60mph that is much more evident from the passenger side. It almost sounds like driving with a window cracked open. From reviewing threads it appears that this could be caused by the trim cap above the passenger side mirror bowing out substantially more than on the driver's side.
Check the black triangular piece at the front bottom corner of the window and see if it is slightly detached at the top. Mine is and I think it is producing a noise at speed. I’m having it replaced. Photo below of my passenger side window, and then driver side window. Other than that my 3 has no significant issues.

I strongly disagree with you about the value and utility of EAP: I love it. Obviously it is not perfect. But it is very useful, very impressive, and has significantly improved in just the past few months that I have owned my 3.

6B07B545-83CC-4F80-B53E-445B0268CB51.jpeg

Here is the same piece on the driver’s side. No gap, though it does stick out maybe 2mm more than it needs to.

EAAD4DE3-F1A3-485A-9B05-8246C82852DF.jpeg

Check the black triangular piece at the front bottom corner of the window and see if it is slightly detached at the top. Mine is and I think it is producing a noise at speed. I’m having it replaced. Photo below of my passenger side window, and then driver side window. Other than that my 3 has no significant issues.

I strongly disagree with you about the value and utility of EAP: I love it. Obviously it is not perfect. But it is very useful, very impressive, and has significantly improved in just the past few months that I have owned my 3.

View attachment 355753

Here is the same piece on the driver’s side. No gap, though it does stick out maybe 2mm more than it needs to.

View attachment 355754

Yes my car looks similar with the difference in this piece

I took delivery of my car in late September so I've actually had it now for about two months.

I like the car better now than I did at delivery but there are still a laundry list of items Tesla needs to attend to. I'm too nervous about the shoddy quality and questionable competence of Tesla service to get any of the outstanding issues fixed right at the moment.

When I'm driving the car and it's dialed in just right (no buzzing or rattles, no limited regeneration, etc.) I really feel like I'm in the zone in a way I never did with my previous two BMWs. I went and picked up our Thanksgiving day turkey from a smokehouse joint and it was about a 45 minute roundtrip drive. There was very light traffic, temps were favorable and since I was really blasting the stereo I wasn't irritated by the car's many noise issues. It was euphoric.

On a regular day to day basis though I'm plagued with a number of problems. Some Tesla will be able to fix, some (areas of the car not painted) they won't.

Outstanding issues;

1. There is an obnoxious wind noise that manifests at speeds over about 60mph that is much more evident from the passenger side. It almost sounds like driving with a window cracked open. From reviewing threads it appears that this could be caused by the trim cap above the passenger side mirror bowing out substantially more than on the driver's side. I have not brought this one to Tesla because nobody in the large thread around the issue have reported that they've gotten the problem fixed.
  2. There are a number of buzzes and rattles in the cabin (mostly on passenger side) but the one that is most noticeable, by far, is the rattle coming from the passenger side seat-belt anchor point in the B pillar. A thread on this issue exists and like the one above nobody has reported that Tesla really has a handle on resolving this issue.
  3. I have continued low pressure TPMS alarms in cooler temps from the sensors where the tires are actually at 42-43 PSI but the car is alarming because the TPMS sensors are not adjusting for altitude and report the tires are at 38-39 PSI. Tesla doesn't seem to give a f& about this problem.
  4. I get occasional collision alarms in my neighborhood when I turn onto the main street, am driving at about 15 mph and there is an SUV parked on the right side of the road. I am nowhere near an angle where I would impact this vehicle but the car alarms anyway, it's pretty jarring.
  5. There are large unpainted sections just behind the front doors where you can see the body primer. Now that I've seen it I can't unsee it. I notice it everytime I get in or out of my car now.
  6. I find the media system to be terrible. I feel like I have to divert my attention from the road far too much to do something as trivial as changing the station. Swipe up, get the 1/2 height UI, select the media I want, swipe back down, blah blah blah.
  7. I fold and unfold my mirrors when I enter or exit my garage. I have to similarly peck through menus to do something that was done in my last car with an easily reached switch in the door. It's especially irritating because there's no reason this couldn't be tied to the Homelink open/close action that works pretty well.
  8. Autopilot. Autopilot just sucks. I regret paying $5,000 for it. It scares my wife enough that she doesn't want me using it when she and my son are in the car. It drives worse than a 13 year old driving farm equipment on a dairy farm in rural Vermont (ask me how I know). Was using it to get a break while driving yesterday and, possibly due to the road salt that was down from a small amount of snow the previous night it kept complaining it couldn't execute lane changes. I must have seen "lane change aborted" 20 times during a 30 minute drive. If I needed to change lanes to prepare for an exit that was a good couple of miles up it would slow down dangerously to speeds of around 40-50 mph on a 75 mph highway infuriating drivers behind me and potentially putting my life in danger from someone rear ending me at high speed.
  9. Vampire drain sometimes as much as 10 miles over night in my attached garage. I charge at work so this is quite noticeable, and annoying.
  10. The frunk. I hate closing it. It is screaming for an auto open/close function or at least an auto latching feature.
  11. Tesla service is a joke. I had a squealing noise coming from the front right side of the car shortly after taking delivery. The mobile tech was baffled as what was causing it. Tesla service diagnosed it from a video I made as being a bad hub bearing, seemed reasonable. They made an appointment with me to get it in. When I brought it in they sprung it on me that they would need to keep the car 3-4 days. I said "well, I'll just bring it in at the 3-4 day mark when you're ready to work on it". Nope, the only way to hold my car's position in the work queue was to leave it there, at risk for damage or abuse, for 3-4 DAYS until they finally had time to work on it. When I was perplexed at this state of affairs the service manager helpfully piped up that "Elon tweeted he's going to fix service" like that meant a magic wand was going to be waved and everything was going to be solved. Give me a break. If they want to see how a service operation is supposed to be run all they have to do is go hang out at my local BMW mega-dealer and watch as customers bring cars in to a huge, well lit service bay, hand the car off to a valet.... have the service advisor go over the work that's going to be done, and then whisk away in a brand new complimentary BMW loaner. By comparison Tesla feels like getting service at an understaffed, overworked and marginally competent independent shop that's trying to figure out how to deliver service...
Fun aside, the noise in the car ended up being from a "loose factory object" found in the passenger footwell ducting. Because, you know, when Tesla builds cars they drop *sugar* in them to drive the new owners crazy.

In a way I'm glad that I didn't go any higher optioned on this car than I did. Tesla will continue to improve but some of those improvements will include new hardware. It's also entirely possible that BMW, Audi or Merc (you know, companies that know how to build luxury cars and provide real service) will have a real competitor available in 3-4 years that solves some of these issues.

Thanks this is good feedback....it's the "little things". Honestly, a lot of it just reminds me of my own 2013 P85+. How would you rate teh ride quality and general road noise level (say at freeway level on less that perfect asphalt)?

So in the vein of "if you had it to do over again...." would you? The challenge I have is the lack of choice in this space...and the recent European showings are all sort of a collective "meh" IMO.

I know for me I am likely to end up with one, but have 94% resigned myself to just wait (note: we have a 2013 P85+ now). This means walking away from the full rebate which really does sting, but I have to believe they will continue to improve the car and who knows, maybe they will introduce a new blue (Estoril blue for the win!...OK, that's likely a pipe dream).

Interesting. Overall, my build quality was ok. And it doesn't get all that cold here. 30s during the day in winter.

I get that phantom collision warning too as the residential street to my house is curved. Very annoying.

The media could be better, but my 2018 BMW isn't perfect either. No good way to change presets without looking away too. And the down volume button is the middle button of 3 so I always hit the voice command button underneath it.

I find autopilot great. Lane changes suck, including Navigate on Autopilot (really terrible). I don't trust it fully, but in traffic and freeways, it's great.

My vampire drain is bad too, but with this much range... meh.

I hate the frunk too.

Service does suck. They're really nice about it, but the actual fixing cars is lacking. That said, I have greater faith in them fixing service issues than competitors passing them in tech. Not for at least 10 years, by which time I'll be ready for a new car to replace the Model 3. Hehe It's a LOT easier to copy service procedures than advanced tech. Look at Audi's e-Tron SUV. Even the Jag I-Pace technically isn't as efficient. Plus, it's a Jag so it'll be in the shop more than a Tesla. And they've been around forever so I have much more faith in Tesla improving quality than Jaguar which has sucked since forever.

Reactions: davedavedave