Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla 3, only 431 Km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the replies. I now assume if I drove on a straight flat road at about 30 Km/hr I would get much closer to 554 Km. Still I don't think the sticker should say 554 when it is not a practical distance.
It's best to think of the ADR sticker as a way to compare different cars, since they all have to use the same cycle. A car with 500km on the sticker may not get 500km in the real world, but it'll still get about 25% more than a car with 400km on the sticker.

I believe the government is looking at changing the test cycle used to better reflect the real-world experience.

Reactions: Vostok
Had to laugh about the windscreen rating at 135 Wh/km
As having my M3 for almost a year and done 34,150km as of today and my Avg. Energy is 134 Wh/km.
At least they got that correct.
I'm pretty sure the windscreen rating is energy consumption as measured at the wall, but what's on the car's screen is as measured from the battery.

556 km at 135Wh/km implies 75kWh used, but it's only a 62kWh battery.

But once you take in the ~90% charging efficiency and ~90% battery efficiency it starts to add up.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
You need a few cycles for the battery calibration to sort itself out. Happens to me when I haven’t done any long drives for a while too.
@positiv the reason why I say that is I‘m seeing this pattern on my Stats for Tesla app

IMG_1439.jpeg

It is showing capacity vs rated range so my driving efficiency is not involved in the calculation.

I also see large changes in the estimated battery capacity from 64kWh to 74kWh.

So there is something going on about the way battery capacity is being measured that is affected by running the battery through deep discharge cycles.

I haven’t seen any very detailed descriptions anywhere. Do you have an alternative?

I‘m not trying to start a flame war, it is boring and tiresome to get stuck in bad faith arguments. I‘m very interested in answers from battery experts (I am not one) among the people who come here.

• Informative
Reactions: Quickst
Thanks for the replies. I now assume if I drove on a straight flat road at about 30 Km/hr I would get much closer to 554 Km. Still I don't think the sticker should say 554 when it is not a practical distance.

I have tracked my drives over the last 2,000km, so here's a breakdown of a MY LR range based on driving at different average speeds:
  • 100km/h - 448km or 180wh/km
  • 80km/h - 486km or 167wh/km
  • 60km/h - 502km or 161wh/km
  • 40km/h - 520km or 156wh/km
I could definitely get the 40kmh & 60kmh driving figures to look much better by using chill mode and having less fun (eg. a recent 50km round trip averaging 45km/h was 142wh/km), but you gotta also enjoy driving a bit!

NB: This is heavily dependant on the locations I drive, my driving style, cabin/ac settings, and is just meant to illustrate general efficiency at different speeds.

First thing to do when taking delivery of any car is to remove and discard that ADR sticker

I dont think displayed % or km is of significant difference in utility. Take your pick but don't sweat over it.
I pick % because charging routines are based on battery % SOC.

@Hairyman - is the X axis units in miles or km?

Reactions: Jules22
The axis in this particular app expands to fit the distance the car has driven. You can zoom in to particular ranges if you like. It is specific to my car, so I could not comment on the experience of others. There are members with very high mileage on their cars, so they might be able to give more insight.