Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Advice Appreciated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla needs to take care of you or you should return it. Some of those things will just wipe off, others will need some work. While the floor mat thing is ridiculous, the stock mats are cheap anyways. I replaced mine right away, and now they just take up room in the closet.

Reactions: EVDRVN
Personally, I'd tell them it's unacceptable, and ridiculous that anybody but Helen Keller thought a new car, even a cheap econobox should look like that.
Somebody in final QC needs to be replaced.

My car was less than perfect, but nowhere near that bad. I expected a lower quality level than I'm accustomed to, but nothing like that. I would have used the 7 Day Return policy and save all the pictures in case they want to stop you from buying another one. They should be embarrassed at that paint job and interior condition.

Reactions: Glamisduner
It’s never a good idea to take a proper look at the car after you have accepted it and driven it home. Everyone should plan to spend 45 minutes thoroughly inspecting the car prior to signing any paperwork and accepting delivery. That way you can make an informed decision if you are satisfied with the condition of the car or would rather pass and wait for another one. It’s always best to bring a second person along as well to have a second set of eyes helping with the inspection.

I know this advice doesn’t help the OP at this point, but hopefully others reading this thread will benefit.

It’s never a good idea to take a proper look at the car after you have accepted it and driven it home. Everyone should plan to spend 45 minutes thoroughly inspecting the car prior to signing any paperwork and accepting delivery. That way you can make an informed decision if you are satisfied with the condition of the car or would rather pass and wait for another one. It’s always best to bring a second person along as well to have a second set of eyes helping with the inspection.

I know this advice doesn’t help the OP at this point, but hopefully others reading this thread will benefit.
It's a little different right now with the Virus screwing with people IMO, but good advice!

We were kicked out after 20 minutes including paperwork and basic functions. They didn't cover folding down the seats, Autopilot, infotainment basics, trunk lower storage (glaring fault in trunk, glaring fault with fold down seats), and many other things. Not even how to disconnect the J1772 adapter from the car, since 14-50 adapters are no longer included nor available at the time. "Sorry our next customer is here", and the building was not that well lit.

Perhaps your experience was different. Do you suggest refusing delivery if they don't let you inspect the car fully in sunlight when it's rainy and crowded?

I don't think one should have to pay a lot of money, or buy a BMW or Rolls or Range Rover to expect a clean, detailed car when purchasing new. Same for buying a used car. I've bought cars from many manufacturers, both high end (BMW), and low end (Toyota, Subaru, VW, Nissan, Ford), and have always received a clean and detailed car. That being said, my Tesla was delivered to me spotless, with no apparent wear or damage. Does seem like your delivery center cut some corners here.....perhaps to get you your car before being shut down by the pandemic? Perhaps because they are short staffed, again due to the pandemic? Or perhaps just because they suck at what they do?

What I don't understand is why you took delivery of a car with white interior when you wanted black. That's pretty obvious without having to inspect the car.

Keith

We were kicked out after 20 minutes including paperwork and basic functions. They didn't cover folding down the seats, Autopilot, infotainment basics, trunk lower storage (glaring fault in trunk, glaring fault with fold down seats), and many other things. Not even how to disconnect the J1772 adapter from the car, since 14-50 adapters are no longer included nor available at the time. "Sorry our next customer is here", and the building was not that well lit.

Perhaps your experience was different. Do you suggest refusing delivery if they don't let you inspect the car fully in sunlight when it's rainy and crowded?

I would not expect them to spend a lot of time hand holding. They are too busy for that (well at least they were before this pandemic came around). But they can’t kick you out if you don’t sign any paperwork until you finish your inspection.

My recommendation is that you show up and inform them that you will be happy to go over paperwork with them after you complete your pre-purchase inspection. The inspection will take 45 minutes to complete. During that time you don’t expect them to wait around for you. They are free to go around helping other customers. You will let them know when you are ready for them.

I’ve done this five times now. Never had any problem with it. But you do have to take control of the process, rather than letting them take control of you.

Reactions: ilyak
I would not expect them to spend a lot of time hand holding. They are too busy for that (well at least they were before this pandemic came around). But they can’t kick you out if you don’t sign any paperwork until you finish your inspection.

My recommendation is that you show up and inform them that you will be happy to go over paperwork with them after you complete your pre-purchase inspection. The inspection will take 45 minutes to complete. During that time you don’t expect them to wait around for you. They are free to go around helping other customers. You will let them know when you are ready for them.

I’ve done this five times now. Never had any problem with it. But you do have to take control of the process, rather than letting them take control of you.

Why do some Tesla owners always feel the intense desire to talk down to everybody they meet?

• Disagree
Reactions: ilyak
Few points
It is normal for Tesla to not return phone calls unless it is to get the car delivered and paid for. Otherwise they ignore chit chat.
I have seen Tesla authorize a detailer/cleaning for cases like yours. They may offer to reimburse you to have someone vacuum and wipe off the grime. Not sure they will pay to have it waxed as well.
If their records indicate you ordered white and you accepted white, perhaps that is the end of it.

To make matters worse, this virus thing has everybody short staffed and overworked.

If it was mine, I would ask for a detailing or simply wipe it down myself and be happy I got one of the last cars to be delivered.

Things are really crazy out there right now.

01 - No floor mats? I have posted this on a Tesla forum, and it seems that the car is supposed to come with floor mats.
02 - Door sill scratches
03 - Leather scuffs
04 - Clear usage and wear creases / marks on the passenger seat
05 - Rear right seat scuffs, dirt marks
06 - Hand prints and dirt all over the dashboard
07 - Rear left seat scuffs
08 - Steering wheel dirt
09 - Steering wheel marks
10 - Rear panel paint chips
11 - Paint marks
12 - Rubbish and dirt down the side of the driver’s seat

The first 10 and #12 are poor service from your delivery center. They are easily fixable by cleaning the car properly, besides giving you the floor mats. #11 and #12 need to be paint-corrected.

Unfortunate, but not unusual. The steering wheel dirt, is actually mfring debris, like shredded plastic. Clearly, not cleaned. And it would seem the only time someone drove it was to get it off the ship, and they weren't too clean about it.

Once again, schedule a service visit through the application to fix the shipping damage.
Why post here to ask advice, when you don't take the advice??????

Around NJ, next available appointment date has been 30+ days out. And that was before Covid-19 hit.
We have no way of knowing how bad the delays are in Ireland.

If the OP has a 7-day money-back return window, recommending remedy via scheduling a service appointment that will be weeks away is useless, and would likely void the 7-day return opportunity.

a

Well no, I am not sure of that. it's illegal practically everywhere, so I don't think Tesla would take that risk. It isn't easy to change it anyway. Was it just a demo car.

Highly unlikely for an MFR to do, but Ferrari got popped a few years ago.
Unlike most conventional cars, it is probably possible to edit the odometer on a Tesla using just software, like Ferraris.
On most cars you must replace the instrument cluster which has a chip in it. Then the factory must authorize reprogramming of the new odometer by a dealer tech.

To falsely edit an odo is illegal in all 50 states and Canada, and perhaps the entire world.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Highly unlikely for an MFR to do, but Ferrari got popped a few years ago.
Unlike most conventional cars, it is probably possible to edit the odometer on a Tesla using just software, like Ferraris.
On most cars you must replace the instrument cluster which has a chip in it. Then the factory must authorize reprogramming of the new odometer by a dealer tech.

To falsely edit an odo is illegal in all 50 states and Canada, and perhaps the entire world.
yup. I'm thinking the same.