Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla AI Day - 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the official invite that Tesla has sent out for AI Day:

E77AUaFVIAI_2yZ

Folks are speculating what the sentence "They'll also get an inside-look at what's next for AI at Tesla beyond our vehicle fleet." It appears to hint that Tesla is working on some sort of AI application that is not related to FSD or the vehicles.

Let the speculation and hype begin!

E77AUaFVIAI_2yZ

Folks are speculating what the sentence "They'll also get an inside-look at what's next for AI at Tesla beyond our vehicle fleet." It appears to hint that Tesla is working on some sort of AI application that is not related to FSD or the vehicles.

AI will help Elon craft the perfect tweets to cause maximum hype without followthrough.

E77AUaFVIAI_2yZ

Yep...this is AI Day as opposed to FSD Day. Dr. Know-it-all did an excellent video (11.5 minutes) that pointed out the breadth of what Tesla may be planning for AI beyond vehicles. He discusses the possibility of creating a service along the lines of AWS (Amazon Web Services) that could be huge.

Last edited:

E77AUaFVIAI_2yZ

The "beyond our vehicle fleet" is indeed very interesting.

My best guesses:
- Tesla Energy (further optimization of Autobidder);
- CNN based vision system usage outside of Tesla vehicles (medical (Neuralink surgery machine?), production lines, you name it);
- speaking of Neuralink: maybe using AI computing to help study the brain (finding patterns in brain activity etc)
- SpaceX related: optimizing fluid dynamics modeling with AI
- and last but not least, Elon already hinted that Dojo would be open for researchers (possibly for a fee) so they might already have partnerships going leading to interesting breakthroughs (protein folding? Genetics? ...)

Very exciting indeed. But let's get to FSD first, please ;) /s

Checks out: I predict the near future of Tesla better than Elon, apparently.
I don't consider myself an irredeemable fanboy but I thought it was actually very interesting, yes a bit of hype but a lot of thought-provoking content with very little nonsense (the dancing robot maybe, but Elon quickly disavowed that as a real thing).

Predicting significant delays in product and technology development is a pretty safe bet; yes you're likely to be "right" in the moment but that doesn't contribute anything to overall advancement. I'll grant you that Elon is insufferably optimistic, but what he's accomplished in building a range of viable electric cars and infrastructure, other energy solutions and remarkably rapidly-advancing, practical space technology, can IMO only be seen as very impressive.

Pessimists don't build anything new.
Competent Realists are quite valuable but not sufficient for rapid progress.
Talented Optimists change the world - much more likely to the good when acting as industrialists and engineers than as political leaders, though there are certainly exceptions in both areas.

I don't consider myself an irredeemable fanboy but I thought it was actually very interesting, yes a bit of hype but a lot of thought-provoking content with very little nonsense (the dancing robot maybe, but Elon quickly disavowed that as a real thing).

Predicting significant delays in product and technology development is a pretty safe bet; yes you're likely to be "right" in the moment but that doesn't contribute anything to overall advancement. I'll grant you that Elon is insufferably optimistic, but what he's accomplished in building a range of viable electric cars and infrastructure, other energy solutions and remarkably rapidly-advancing, practical space technology, can IMO only be seen as very impressive.

Pessimists don't build anything new.
Competent Realists are quite valuable but not sufficient for rapid progress.
Talented Optimists change the world - much more likely to the good when acting as industrialists and engineers than as political leaders, though there are certainly exceptions in both areas.

I didn't feel it was nearly as hyped up as previous events.

Instead I feel like it was appropriately done for the audience where they showed progress they made along with mistakes they made along the way.

In a way it was out of character for Tesla because they didn't enable pre-orders/reservations for the Robot. :p

...In a way it was out of character for Tesla because they didn't enable pre-orders/reservations for the Robot. :p
Right!
And only $10k more for Full Self Dancing Capability!
Only in limited-access clubs for now, but Phantom-Break-Dancing on City Streets is coming later this year for sure...
Which after all, is a boring repetitive task that no humans will want to do, once they're riding around in their autonomous Teslas, paid for by their Universal Basic Income deposits, playing AI games and fattening themselves up on snacks from the Supercharger convenience mart.

Reactions: powertoold
Tesla's offline data processing is quite impressive. Here it looks like a single 20-second snapshot was used to reconstruct the world:
stairs reconstruced.jpg

It has so much detail including the stairs to the right of the red-colored vehicle even though it was only visible from the right pillar camera for just a few frames with low lighting. Then combining multiple snapshots to build an even more detailed understanding:
not hd maps.jpg

Tesla vehicles don't need to have all the details like the stairs to drive, but having all this information can be used to improve training of the distilled knowledge that does make it to the vehicle to make time-sensitive driving decisions. Other companies might be doing something similar, but Tesla has a fleet of a million vehicles that are each able to send back gigabytes of video and additional data.

We hung in and watched the what 45-50 minute late presentation tonight. Might have been the longest wait for one of these that I remember and they seemed to have a few set up glitches but otherwise went smoothly. Reminded me of the type of presentation for the neuro chip. You could really feel the pride coming from the team member (sorry forgot his name) who got to hold up their AI chip etc. Had a 15kW heat sink if I remember correctly. Like the neuro chip presentation this was not geared so much for general public, who might have thought AI Day was going to be like vehicle announcements, but instead was a hiring presentation. I could see some in the public and parts of the press not finding it what they expected and maybe disappointed. I thought it went well and liked seeing the progress. Guess Tesla Bot was more of a surprise.

Last edited:
Reactions: M109Rider
Marc Raibert founded Leg Lab at Carnegie Mellon University at 80s, Boston Dynamics 90s. BD build first humanoid robot at 10s and only now Atlas can do human like locomotive (like parkour, and dance) but other human like actions seems to be limited to moving of empty cardboard boxes.

Whole thread is funny, "Tesla can't do FSD next 20 years" vs. "humanoid robot in one year ah, that sounds just right". Tesla will build FSD lot sooner than 20 years and. No, not going to build humanoid robot in a year, not even three years of Elon time.