Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and Third Party Finance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if these are basic questions but first time I’ve bought a Tesla and am struggling to make sense of the process using third party finance.

Situation: we have a delivery date, and time confirmed. Matched to a car, all good. We originally planned to buy the car so the order was for cash payment. We’ve subsequently decided to go PCP through Halifax as the terms are excellent.

Tesla said they’ll convert our order to third party finance, which is fine. However the timings don’t seem to align. Halifax won’t complete the application without a registration number, which Tesla won’t provide until 7 days before. Halifax say they’ll pay 24 hours after give them the registration, but no earlier than 4 days before delivery.

Hence I can’t understand how to make those two misaligned timeframes work. I assume Halifax has done finance on a Tesla before (!) and I wondered if anyone on here had used them. If you have, how did you make it work?

My temptation at the moment is to revert to a cash sale as I’m terrified we’ll say or do the wrong thing and somehow lose our slot. However for us the Halifax PCP makes way more sense, so if I can get some guidance on how to get this together I would be hugely grateful!

The other bit is that Tesla apparently require the finance company to email them in plenty of time to inform them they’re paying for the car. However until I can get the dates for payment figured out, that bit seems a bit academic.

Any insight and advice welcome!

Cant give you a specific answer but I would like to add, I'm leasing with ALD and they gave me my reg a few days ago, 3 weeks before delivery.

I wonder wether they do this early for lease customers as the lease companies have a lot of processing to do.

Whilst yours may still technically marked as a cash order and will receive your reg next.

I don't agree with the <7 days element as I already have mine. I guess your only course of action is to chase the delivery / finance team for the conversion and mention about being given a reg so you have time to sort it out.

Are you pre-approved for the loan amount? If so, it should be quite quick once you get your reg. Hopefully someone who has used Halifax can chip in with better quality information for you.

Reactions: Thecrow
Thank you for the reply. I pushed Tesla for the reg and they’ve supplied it, so that’s one hurdle! Now I need to see if Halifax will pay earlier than they say they want to. I wasn’t aware that Tesla needed paying at least a week before delivery so that’s added a complication I didn’t anticipate, mainly coupled with the bank’s process.

We are pre approved for the loan so no worries there.