Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If the rise in insurance is because of repair costs why isn’t third party cheap too?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All of the excuses provided by the insurers claim that EV insurance is going up because if repair costs. Fair enough. So i will just go for third party cover so that is not an issue for them. Of someone crashes into me they have to pay, but that should not be reflected in my premium. But the cost of third party fire and theft is not much lower (about £300 out of £1500 fully comp). So what gives? Tesla’s have no thefts, so it should be cheap as chips surely! Or are they saying EVs cause more third party losses when they crash too? What am I missing?

Way things are looking webuyanycar and a lease is getting more and more attractive as insurance is bundled!

All of the excuses provided by the insurers claim that EV insurance is going up because if repair costs. Fair enough. So i will just go for third party cover so that is not an issue for them. Of someone crashes into me they have to pay, but that should not be reflected in my premium. But the cost of third party fire and theft is not much lower (about £300 out of £1500 fully comp). So what gives? Tesla’s have no thefts, so it should be cheap as chips surely! Or are they saying EVs cause more third party losses when they crash too? What am I missing?

Way things are looking webuyanycar and a lease is getting more and more attractive as insurance is bundled!
Maybe they are worried you will run into another EV or perhaps it is all the collateral damage from when it "inevitably" catches fire and takes out an entire car park . Or maybe its just total BS like most of insurance seems to be.
When I changed my Model 3 for a model Y the insurance company gave me a rebate of 10%.
A 2012 fiesta 1.4cc costs £1500 for my daughter. The 2013 face lift version of the same car with a 1.25cc motor is nearly £3k.
None of it makes any sense to me

• Informative
Reactions: Bouba
Is this true ?
I tend not to believe anything in the Guardian
I am but one data point, but both our Tesla recently came up for insurance renewal and with same insurers on same terms the renewals were 25-30% up on last year. In line with the non-Tesla renewal also in our household. Do EVs cost more to insure? Most probably. But in our experience the numbers are not wildly out of line with the general rise in pricing.

Reactions: Bouba
Do EVs cost more to insure? Most probably.
It's a Tesla thing, not really a generic EV difference. I had an e-Golf, then an ID.3 before my Tesla & both of those were around the same to insure as their ICE equivalents. Not that I've checked, but I suspect an ICE car with similar performance and cost to repair will be just as expensive to insure as a Model 3/Y. It's less about the cost of purchase than the cost to repair and likelihood of a claim due to excess speed/negligence of the driver causing an accident.

Most Teslas are in the highest possible insurance group, due mainly to their performance. They are also very expensive to repair, so insurance companies will naturally bump up the price of insurance.

Not that I'm defending the insurers in any way, shape or form. I think the whole setup is predatory and over-priced.

Side note: LV were astronomical for me when getting quotes. A factor of at least 4x the cheapest, if I remember correctly.

It's a Tesla thing, not really a generic EV difference. I had an e-Golf, then an ID.3 before my Tesla & both of those were around the same to insure as their ICE equivalents. Not that I've checked, but I suspect an ICE car with similar performance and cost to repair will be just as expensive to insure as a Model 3/Y. It's less about the cost of purchase than the cost to repair and likelihood of a claim due to excess speed/negligence of the driver causing an accident.

Most Teslas are in the highest possible insurance group, due mainly to their performance. They are also very expensive to repair, so insurance companies will naturally bump up the price of insurance.

Not that I'm defending the insurers in any way, shape or form. I think the whole setup is predatory and over-priced.

Side note: LV were astronomical for me when getting quotes. A factor of at least 4x the cheapest, if I remember correctly.
FWIW 2-3 years ago my rear bumper got scratched. I was in the car so I know it was nothing serious - GBP50 paint job at local garage. My God I received at least 10 phone calls from insurance related companies suggestively asking if I need medical compensation, gave me a replacement car for a week, an "engineer" was sent to asses structural damage. Poor other person ended up paying over GBP1500 for a minor scratch to all these leaches. Nobody in the insurance industry cares about costs when they can just raise premiums.

Reactions: KennethS and Bouba
FWIW 2-3 years ago my rear bumper got scratched. I was in the car so I know it was nothing serious - GBP50 paint job at local garage. My God I received at least 10 phone calls from insurance related companies suggestively asking if I need medical compensation, gave me a replacement car for a week, an "engineer" was sent to asses structural damage. Poor other person ended up paying over GBP1500 for a minor scratch to all these leaches. Nobody in the insurance industry cares about costs when they can just raise premiums.
I'm with LV, last year for my M3P it was £343.93, this year (end of June) it was £465.06 - so I was happy with just £120 rise. fully comp, full NCB, old bugger in a safe postcode, 5000 miles per year, garaged overnight, social domestic pleasure - I'm retired.
My wife with a Fiesta had a similar (in money) increase in premiums - she is with Churchill.
Having read so many posts prior to receiving my renewal notice about massive increases in premium I got the Vaseline ready.

The insurance companies themselves pass accident details to their in house legal department to make those calls suggesting, encouraging, virtually pleading with you to coerce you into making a personal injury claim - they even do it if your car is parked and your not in it and bumped by another.
You cant question a premium because the people you talk to can only operate the computer - they know very little about insurance or should i say the calculation of risk by the underwriters which determines the premium. I do wonder if you have a minor accident, fault or non fault whereby the two parties are insured by the same insurer if they still call the parties to try and push a personal injury claim? just a thought.

Prior to 2012 insurers used to sell details of claims to the ambulance chaser law firms, Admiral made something like £17 million in 2011 doing this, The practice was made illegal by the government but it didn't stop them - they simply bought out law firms - and its legal to share information in house - so Admiral bought Aegis Law to continue the practice.

I also get infuriated by Insurance companies - like Direct Line - that advertise In the event your car is damaged by an uninsured driver they will repair your car and you wont loose your NCD - they say "why should you suffer for another's actions when its not your fault" - they give the impression your premium isn't negatively affected - but it is - You don't suffer a change of NCD % wise, but they do raise the premium because any claim in their minds makes you a higher risk, fault or not. DL also say "you wont find us on a comparison site" delivered as if they are better than that - a cut above the others, but, whilst the statement is true they are not prepared to miss out on potential revenue from comparison sites - so they use their sister company for that, Privilege.

I find ALL insurers are as dishonest as MPs and bankers

It's a Tesla thing, not really a generic EV difference.

I can only relay my personal experience, but the insurance cost for our Tesla seem reasonable when I compare to the prices our next-door neighbours say their premiums have escalated to on similar value (and far slower acceleration times) cars as our 3 and Y.

And I am not plugging LV, just responding to the question of another poster. The entire insurance industry and pricing is opaque and I am aware for others and in other locales insurance pricing can vary substantially.

In the UK, post codes are king.
My parents live half a mile from me on the outskirts on one postcode and I live on the outskirts of the next. Their out code encompasses the town center mine a rural area but they are to all intents and purposes the same location in real terms.

I insured a car this year but planned to leave it on their drive for a couple of months. if I put the postcode as their house the insurance went up 50%
Admittedly that is only from £100 to £150. But who knows what the difference would have been on other cars. If it was 50% on a Tesla then you are into some real money.

Reactions: bhav and Bouba
Hi all,

I've actually joined this forum today as I'm struggling with insurance quotes myself.

This weekend I listed my very rare 5.0l V8 Lexus ISF on autotrader with the plan being to move into a used Tesla model 3. We have a free charger at work and I also have solar and a battery and was planning on moving to Octopus Intelligent.

I've been camping on these forums the last few weeks to learn as much as I can as I had a few different brands I was considering. I'd seen a few posts about insurance and thought I better get some quotes.

I spoke to my broker who said that there are many insurers who currently won't touch electric cars. Her cheapest quote was £5k. I've been on comparethemarket and the cheapest quote I've got on a Tesla from Admiral is £1544.

I then tried various other cars to see what was viable:

Jaguar Ipace: £1712
MERCEDES-BENZ EQC 400: £1674
BMW I8: £2031
Porsche 911 GT3 £1517

I'm currently paying £563 for a 4.6 s car, so I don't think the premiums are about performance or difficulty in sourcing parts. There seems a distinct agenda against electric cars.

Can anyone recommend any other insurance companies to try? Any savings I'd make in vehicle tax (currently £695) and petrol would be wiped out by insurance premiums.

I was £540 a year for an AMG A45S, when we got the delivery date for the MYP we looked at insurance costs for both myself and my partner. She was getting daft quotes of around £1800 for the Tesla but could insure the AMG for £650 so we went that way. It cost me £80 to swap to the Tesla for the remaining 2 months of the policy so assuming £25 for admin fees that an increase of £330 for a year. Today I got my renewal through and they want £1480 so £610 more than changing the policy in mid August.

I managed to get insurance with Churchill Platinum for under £800 which seems ok to me. What is slightly annoying is that a Taycan GTS is only £595 for the same dates with the same company despite being similar performance and significantly more expensive to buy, run and probably repair.