Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If the rise in insurance is because of repair costs why isn’t third party cheap too?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the tracking is excellent the hardware is in the same place in every car every professional thief would a) know its there b) know where to find it and disable it
so it does not meet the requirements. Too easy to find and disable
I have searched the manual and the only thing that mentions tracking is

Note
When you rotate or move the map, your current location is no longer tracked. The message "Tracking Disabled" displays briefly next to the map orientation icon and the icon turns gray. To re-enable tracking, touch the map's orientation icon and choose North Up or Heading Up.

Does this mean that any 3 year old can disable tracking?

Thanks I will try LV again and tick tracker fitted (with Direct Line this is auto filled)
Are there no notes as to what ticking that box means? As has been stated I do not believe that the tracking built into the Tesla meets the definition of an "insurance approved Tracker". If it gets stolen and cannot be recovered and you have ticked that box then don't expect your insurance to pay out if that is what they are expecting.

The quote was too high anyway so irrelevant, still awaiting my renewal quote but have one ready from comparison sites. I don't know if I am considered too old for a Tesla but the insurance is going to kill the move to electric for some people as my cheapest to date is over £1500 for 5000 miles 20+ years ncd.

Do Teslas have what could be classed as a valid tracker? I have ticked no on the LV site and they say that they do not cover without a tracker

My insurer (not LV) has a sticker-price above which a proper tracker is required. I set the price at that level (with their knowledge, and taking some risk myself) in order to insure with them. Dunno if that applies to LV but, as you say, loads of people are insuring Teslas with LV and I very much doubt they are having proper "Thatcham" trackers fitted

the insurance is going to kill the move to electric for some people

Tesla is the highest insurance group, 'coz of the performance. That does not apply to "All EVs" ...

Tesla's don't send their location when in park, so if lifted onto a lorry then their location isn't transmitted anywhere until next put into drive. On an open ferry your position is unknown until you start driving at the destination.

Quite why is unknown, I guess there are enough other protections against theft, it's not common.

Tesla's don't send their location when in park, so if lifted onto a lorry then their location isn't transmitted anywhere until next put into drive. On an open ferry your position is unknown until you start driving at the destination.

Quite why is unknown, I guess there are enough other protections against theft, it's not common.
But it does if you open the app to see where it is, so it is trackable.

But it does if you open the app to see where it is, so it is trackable.
I'm not sure that's true, but can't think of a way to test it myself immediately. I've never heard that the app triggers a location update, it just shows the last location that the car sent to Tesla when it's was in drive. I'm sure I'll have used the app to turn off the alarm on a CalMac ferry, it's never shown me the car in the middle of the sea.

Reactions: Adopado
I'm not sure that's true, but can't think of a way to test it myself immediately. I've never heard that the app triggers a location update, it just shows the last location that the car sent to Tesla when it's was in drive. I'm sure I'll have used the app to turn off the alarm on a CalMac ferry, it's never shown me the car in the middle of the sea.
When my car has been on a low loader for repairs 😳 I’ve not been able to track the car - only once it’s driven off at the end of the journey.

Reactions: GRiLLA
Yep, that is quite a jump - with no changes in circumstances I'd be asking for an explanation.

I haven't had my renewal quote yet, but I've done a bit of pre-emptive shopping around and I can beat last year's premium (£475) buy about £28 plus another £30 cashback.

(M3 LR, loads of NCB, nice safe postcode, car kept on driveway).

Ah, must be me being stupid then. It would seem to be something an update would fix and I would guess Tesla could see where it is?
well not stupid. unless your car has ever been moved somewhere not under its own power i.e. on a lorry or a ship there is no really reason why you would know this. I have had a Tesla taken away on a low loader and I was completely unaware of this as well.

Ah, must be me being stupid then. It would seem to be something an update would fix and I would guess Tesla could see where it is?
It would require the computers to be on though, similar to sentry mode where the vehicle wasn’t designed with this functionality in mind and therefore doesn’t have an ultra low power mode to operate these systems.

I’m up from £1k the last two years with Churchill give me a renewal to £1,350.

41 years old. 6 points I have to declare but both were approx 4 years ago. Lastly in early 2021 had some car damage which because of Covid took 8 weeks to get parts. As I had a hire car all that time as well the bill on insurance was £8k….

I’m up from £1k the last two years with Churchill give me a renewal to £1,350.

41 years old. 6 points I have to declare but both were approx 4 years ago. Lastly in early 2021 had some car damage which because of Covid took 8 weeks to get parts. As I had a hire car all that time as well the bill on insurance was £8k….
All things considered, not too bad🤔.

It would require the computers to be on though, similar to sentry mode where the vehicle wasn’t designed with this functionality in mind and therefore doesn’t have an ultra low power mode to operate these systems.
The app would wake the car, but I'm pretty sure as per above this doesn't currently happen. I expect their is a reason, perhaps it's related to the privacy policy that you agree. It's not likely to really work in real world though, a thief with the ability to lift a car is likely to know how to power off the car completely anyway. My hidden airtag is my backup.