Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

If the rise in insurance is because of repair costs why isn’t third party cheap too?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The app would wake the car, but I'm pretty sure as per above this doesn't currently happen. I expect their is a reason, perhaps it's related to the privacy policy that you agree. It's not likely to really work in real world though, a thief with the ability to lift a car is likely to know how to power off the car completely anyway. My hidden airtag is my backup.
presumably you hope the thief does not have an iPhone? if they do won't they be alerted that they are being tracked by your airtag so they then know to look for it?

I just got a quote for renewal and it went from 900 last year to 3000 this year. So whoever was saying people pulling out numbers out of their ...s should first do some

It would require the computers to be on though, similar to sentry mode where the vehicle wasn’t designed with this functionality in mind and therefore doesn’t have an ultra low power mode to operate these systems.
You can turn on sentry from
The app, which raises the question would having sentry on activate the tracking? Or do you need to set a geolocation challenge based on the pics!

Just adding my experience that when my car was on a low loader, to get its windscreen replaced, it was parked outside my house ... until all of a sudden it was at the windscreen repairer :)
… but presumably it was “asleep” during the transport?
Or did you try to track its position whilst it was in transit?
I was also of the impression that it’d send you an accurate position every time you wake it up on the app…

It was a while ago, but I recollect checking if it had arrived ... and it was still showing at my house ... and then suddenly! it was there.

I have TeslaFi too, so I would assume that was checking - it would have detected the car being driven out of my drive and onto the loader, so assuming he didn't hang about for so long it went to sleep then maybe TeslaFi checks would have, initially, kept it awake?

… but presumably it was “asleep” during the transport?
I was also of the impression that it’d send you an accurate position every time you wake it up on the app…
No, it definitely doesn't update the position when it's in transit on a low-loader, mine came back from repair last week and I wanted to know when it would arrive to make arrangements, but position remained where it was loaded until it was actually unloaded - checked both via the app and TeslaMate.

For what it's worth, the position does still update when in Valet or Service mode, providing it's in Drive or moved (or whatever the trigger is to update the position).

Wouldn't recommend checking the position when it's out for repair anyway, TeslaMate seems to use maps that didn't show some newer buildings, so you're seeing the doors/windows are open overnight when the map suggests the car's outside.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
We have just added a model Y LR with 20inch wheels to our admiral multicar policy, until policy renewal in December with a cost of £65, then a 12-month price of £512 with 10k pa miles, and 2k of business, both drivers' clean license and 54, 53 years old. On-drive parking and 1 claim last year non-fault £2k cost.

Pretty pleased with that, in sunny Oxford

Thanks

We have just added a model Y LR with 20inch wheels to our admiral multicar policy, until policy renewal in December with a cost of £65, then a 12-month price of £512 with 10k pa miles, and 2k of business, both drivers' clean license and 54, 53 years old. On-drive parking and 1 claim last year non-fault £2k cost.

Pretty pleased with that, in sunny Oxford

Thanks
I bet you are!😊
After years with Admiral and 20 odd years NCB, I had to leave after buying the Y due to a tripling of premium from the X3 which itself had not been cheap.

Just looked back through some quote history and found a comparison site quote for Model 3 RWD (maybe SR+ then) from exactly two years ago (to the day) for £472, re-ran it just now out of interest and it's £715. All other parameters remain the same (except for getting two years older, of course), so roughly 50% hike in the past two years.

In comparison our petrol car's renewal a few months ago went up £7 (from £250), again all parameters unchanged. The petrol car's a similar age to the Model 3 but does 0-60 in much longer time and probably cost £15k less new, so for the Model 3 to be almost double premium would seem fair enough, but triple seems a bit harsh, though.

Do Teslas have what could be classed as a valid tracker? I have ticked no on the LV site and they say that they do not cover without a tracker but on here people say that they have good cover with LV. My cover with Direct Line is due for renewal and I am expecting to be quoted above £1000 perhaps way above.
This comes up occasionally.. LV are on record as being quite happy with the Tesla tracker. They didn't even used to ask if you selected Tesla. The only way you could 'disable' a tesla tracker is to rip to MCU out.. by which time it's likely in a chop shop and unrecoverable anyway.

They're not competitive these days for me anyway.. went from the cheapest by miles to the most expensive overnight.

(LV used to accept the tracker on the Leaf as valid.. and that's complete crap that never worked..)

This comes up occasionally.. LV are on record as being quite happy with the Tesla tracker. They didn't even used to ask if you selected Tesla. The only way you could 'disable' a tesla tracker is to rip to MCU out.. by which time it's likely in a chop shop and unrecoverable anyway.

They're not competitive these days for me anyway.. went from the cheapest by miles to the most expensive overnight.

(LV used to accept the tracker on the Leaf as valid.. and that's complete crap that never worked..)
Who are you with now?

Hi all,

I've actually joined this forum today as I'm struggling with insurance quotes myself.

This weekend I listed my very rare 5.0l V8 Lexus ISF on autotrader with the plan being to move into a used Tesla model 3. We have a free charger at work and I also have solar and a battery and was planning on moving to Octopus Intelligent.

I've been camping on these forums the last few weeks to learn as much as I can as I had a few different brands I was considering. I'd seen a few posts about insurance and thought I better get some quotes.

I spoke to my broker who said that there are many insurers who currently won't touch electric cars. Her cheapest quote was £5k. I've been on comparethemarket and the cheapest quote I've got on a Tesla from Admiral is £1544.

I then tried various other cars to see what was viable:

Jaguar Ipace: £1712
MERCEDES-BENZ EQC 400: £1674
BMW I8: £2031
Porsche 911 GT3 £1517

I'm currently paying £563 for a 4.6 s car, so I don't think the premiums are about performance or difficulty in sourcing parts. There seems a distinct agenda against electric cars.

Can anyone recommend any other insurance companies to try? Any savings I'd make in vehicle tax (currently £695) and petrol would be wiped out by insurance premiums.
Hi Hook.
I've bought my Tesla 3 performance a week ago. The insurance was a nightmare.
I'm a fire fighter, advanced driver trained, no points, accidents or convictions etc.
The best insurance I could find was Admiral multiple vehicles. So my Tesla and old audi allroad was £900 with a like for like replacement car in the event. All the options selected too. Peace of mind.
Hope this helps?
James

Reactions: GRiLLA
Just arranged my renewal. Churchill Plus (Wanted European cover).
Last year was £480, this year £728. They tried £778 but a quick compare brought up the same policy cheaper so they went away to see if they could price match themselves. 🙄
It is what it is but the only cheaper policy would have been Churchill Essentials without the European cover so no use for me.
I did also confirm that they do not require a Thatcher tracker. That would have added around £200 for an S7 which the guy I spoke to said is usually only accepted up to about £40k by insurers. Otherwise it's a more expensive S5 type. Plus another £140 a year for monthly subscription.

Just arranged my renewal. Churchill Plus (Wanted European cover).
Last year was £480, this year £728. They tried £778 but a quick compare brought up the same policy cheaper so they went away to see if they could price match themselves. 🙄
It is what it is but the only cheaper policy would have been Churchill Essentials without the European cover so no use for me.
I did also confirm that they do not require a Thatcher tracker. That would have added around £200 for an S7 which the guy I spoke to said is usually only accepted up to about £40k by insurers. Otherwise it's a more expensive S5 type. Plus another £140 a year for monthly subscription.
£140 in addition just for spreading the payments? Why do insurance do this?

If you buy a product from a shop and you spread the payments you can understand why - they have had to pay to buy their stock in and that ties up cash, let someone pay monthly and that has a cost to the business, however - where do insurers suffer any financial consequence?

You ring them, some spotty faced yoof answers, You say - will you insure me - they say - Yea OK and give you a price.
The price they give you includes all their costs of admin (Up to this point its cost a few minutes pay for the person your talking to and no obligation from you to accept their quote)
So they add your name and details to a pre-written policy on their computer - and make it available for you to download and print - then they get to payment. (30 seconds on a computer)
You ask to pay monthly and the cheeky feckers up the price - but they have done F all in addition, not paid a penny out or tied up any money, suffered no additional costs to agree a monthly payment.

And, If you don't have a claim throughout the year they have done the round sum of diddly squat.

£140 EXTRA!!!!! I must be getting old - that's daylight robbery

On the other hand if you had paid £1,000 premium up front, they would have made £60 interest. Plus less bank charges for monthly direct debts and costs for missing payments, etc.

Therefore it's only an additional £80, £70, £60...

Last edited:
Reactions: Jason71