Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app cannot add up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JCUK

Nov 21, 2018
UK
The Tesla app appears to very cheap and inadequate showing a lack of professionalism as it has a number of problems such as:-

1. It is incapable of simple addition; it is quite common that if I add "off peak" to peak, it does not equal all day, and I do not mean just a rounding error but often more than 1KW.

2. The yesterday information only has 23 hours in a day.

3. It is not capable of multi view, every other app I have is.

4. It is not capable of auto rotate and can only be viewed in portrait.

Tesla has been aware of these problems for some time, but nothing has changed, I am currently on 1.32

Do these issues only apply to the UK?

(1) I think that is due to routing, but I could be wrong. Many times I notice that my Solar Edge Inverters shows 127w being generated late in the evening just at sunset, however the Tesla app shows 0.

(2) I know that if there is an interruption of data being sent to Tesla, then they don't have a full set of 24 hours, so that may contribute to the discrepancy. I've had my wifi down for about 2 hours once, and I lost that data from the Tesla app because the gateways didn't have access to the NOC to upload the data. I highly doubt the data is cached in the Gateway, but I could be wrong.

(3) That's a UX item, and not necessary a bug. Other apps have it because the product manager wanted to show the data in different views. I think this should be communicated to the Tesla Energy team as a feature enhancement, but it is NOT a bug.

(4) Again, like #3 above, it's a feature request. Not all APPS support rotation and it's up to the product manager to make a decision if landscape support is a needed feature. It may be a low priority for them. Don't really know.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
My points 1 and 2 are errors which have been there for at least 3 months. Tesla are aware of the problem, I was hoping that 1.32 would fix it.

I acknowledge that points 3 and 4 are not bugs, but could show the lack of thought in the display.

I had similar problems. While the app continues to have minor rounding issues, my view in the app was completely messed up. It frequently told me I was using 0 kW or that my home was using half (or double) what I was pulling from the grid or generating from solar. It was a mess.

The app tries (unsuccessfully) to fudge the numbers when they don't make sense. In my case, the networking in one of my inverters wasn't configured properly so it's production wasn't being reported. Basically, the app could detect that I was sending 2 kW to the grid but according to the available data, I was only producing .5 kW. Rather than report the correct values, the app tries to adjust them so they will add up. Once the 2nd inverter was connected to the gateway, everything was fine. All of the historical data was uploaded as well, though it took a while. In my case, it uploaded about a week of data per day.

tldr; If you have multiple inverters, make sure all of them are reporting their production.