Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App & Nearby Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but on the latest Tesla app, does it no longer show the nearest Superchargers and how many are free? I used to find this handy on the older App, but can't see it on the latest version...

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but on the latest Tesla app, does it no longer show the nearest Superchargers and how many are free? I used to find this handy on the older App, but can't see it on the latest version...

Irritating isn't it ... changing from a clear obvious list in the previous version app. As posted above you need to go the app location map and start messing around expanding your map view to find a Supercharger pin and then click on it ... a most unhelpful change.

Reactions: Cantonalegod
What is the criteria for superchargers spearing on that map?

A supercharger on south coast that I regularly use is not appearing on the map even though it is well within the cars range.

I really don’t want to wait until I get in the car to know viable options especially if I am heading in a direction I am less familiar with. It means that you need to access a third party source to plan a longer trip which are less likely to know about site availability.

What is the criteria for superchargers spearing on that map?

A supercharger on south coast that I regularly use is not appearing on the map even though it is well within the cars range. I really don’t want to wait until I get in the car to know viable options especially if I am heading in a direction I am less familiar with. It means that you need to access a third party source to plan a longer trip which are less likely to know about site availability.
It only appears to show SuC within a certain radius of the car, no matter how zoomed out the map is, but it doesn’t indicate what that radius is.
Pretty terrible.

I don't see SCs in the app map. I zoom out to where there are a couple but they don't show. I zoom right in on the parking lot of an SC and nothing shows. What am I doing wrong? I don't see a toggle to turn on SCs in the app... TIA

Touch the map, which makes the icons on bottom left appear. One is a lightning bolt. Click on that and chargers in your radius of range should appear. Then you can select the one you want as a destination.

Does that help?

Ironically it’s not the nearby superchargers that are the most useful ones. Looks like the cutoff is probably somewhere between 25-40 mile radius. We currently have ~150 mile range so the cutoff is well within the range of the car - we would not even be below 35% if arriving at one missing on the map. The furthest one shown we would probably arrive at 45%.

It’s not like here in UK that showing all sites is going to flood the map.

Even sending a destination to the car doesn’t seem to change the area.

Last edited:
I think I read somewhere the app only shows the superchargers that are reachable based on your car’s current range. Not really sure how true that is…

One of the most annoying things about Tesla is that they only show Tesla chargers on the app and in the car. For example, when I go to the Dales, travelling from the South, I'm directed many 10s of miles out of my way to the Tesla supercharger at Scots Corner, when I'm usually better to top up at a 50kW Instavolt or GeniePoint charger, at say Kirby Lonsdale or Skipton. (I'm wanting to arrive in the middle of the Dales with a good charge for use while there.) The extra charging time is more than compensated for by the far shorter distance (70 miles direct instead of 114 miles via Scots Corner).

All other EVs I've used show all available chargers, reasonable competently. Tesla need to add other chargers to their system. Great as the Tesla supercharger network is (it's one of the reasons we bought the car) it only provides 750 out of about 4800 rapid charges in the UK. Admittedly I wouldn't go near many of those as I know the operators don't provide a reliable charge, but many of them do. Still, an EV navigation system that does not show the chargers I can use is not very helpful. I usually have to work out the best charging strategy for many trips before going near the Tesla system.

The Zap=Map app could be a useful alternative. You can get that to display Tesla chargers, and chargers from other suppliers, and set up filters according to connector type, power, etc.

Indeed ... there are umpteen ways ... but this thread is specifically just about the app functionality which appears to have gone a bit wayward.

One of the most annoying things about Tesla is that they only show Tesla chargers on the app and in the car.

It's especially annoying when you realise that it does show petrol stations. Great if you want an emergency Mars Bar...

(OK, BP are fitting Pulse chargers to all of theirs, so it will be a little more useful in future, but a strange thing to do in an EV nevertheless.)