Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app not working outside USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my Tesla app frequently and it works fine in the USA whether roaming or not.

I am currently overseas and while my phone works to make calls, and text, it will not "reach" my car.

Nor will other apps I have work, like Nest, Chamberlain and Wink.

Perhaps I have a setting wrong? It says it is using GSM / UMTS; others are LTE/CDMA and Global. None work.

Sounds like probably have mobile data roaming turned off on your phone. I assume you can't browse web pages from your phone either? Be careful though - unless you have purchased an international data plan, the roaming data rates are ridiculously high.

First think I thought of ... nope, I do have data roaming on.

BUT, I do have a colleague with me who has both a USA phone and an identical phone with a SIM for this country and the app works on his. Have to go through all the settings on both phones.

HUMMM.

First think I thought of ... nope, I do have data roaming on.

BUT, I do have a colleague with me who has both a USA phone and an identical phone with a SIM for this country and the app works on his. Have to go through all the settings on both phones.

HUMMM.

Some carriers have options for disallowing data while roaming internationally in their mobile service plans, independent of the roaming setting on the phone. Check with your US mobile service carrier. WiFi should work independent of any carrier restrictions.