TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla app "probation period" after delivery

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by danZ, Jul 22, 2018.

?

Do you know that Tesla app will stop working a few hours after delivery ?

1. Yes

16.7%
  2. No, but good to know.

27.8%
  3. No, but that never happened to me (or shouldn't to the best of my knowledge).

55.6%
  1. danZ

danZ New Member

I haven't noticed this in forums and wasn't told by delivery folks. I feels it very important to share ...

At delivery, your phone will pair to the car, and it seems having the phone is sufficient for using the car.

After a few hours, the phone app will stop working (when attempting to log in, it will say " no product registered to this account "). The credentials still works on tesla website, but you just can't log into Tesla app (and therefore suddenly lose the capability to operate / monitor the car ! )

I called customer service and they told me the app will resume working only after 1-2 business days when all the paperwork finishes.

2. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

I never experienced that - something sounds odd about they service folks comments..

3. danZ

danZ New Member

Does it matter if payment is through personal check?

4. glide

glide Member

Anecdotal experience. This is not common or by design.

5. favo

favo P3D+ owner

It's been reported multiple times here as standard practice. I don't know if it's current practice. Doesn't seem like it should take multiple days to assign the car to your Tesla account, but it apparently does.

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, you have the car, especially for 3’s how else are you supposed to control it?

The car is on your acct or not. Servers were also down Saturday night around midnight Eastern time (according to my TeslaFi data and some other people).

Did you call national support or your local Service Center? Gotta say I’ve gotten ‘magical thinking’ answers from the local SC several times. I always call National now.

If National said that, I give up. :D

7. danZ

danZ New Member

I called the national number from the car's touch screen (via phone). As of now, the account still doesn't have "product" registered (It did when I took delivery yesterday for the whole day.)

Not sure whether it's related: there were some paint problem that the delivery advisor said would be taken care of in a future visit/drop/swap-with-loaner appointment at another service center closer to where I'll be, different from where I took delivery.

8. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

This sounds like a mixup on your account (probably because of the speed of deliveries) and perhaps a database issue. I’ve never heard of a 3 not having the car on the account for delivery precisely because you have no other way to control the car. Makes no sense at all. ‘Due Bill’ has nothing to do with the fact that you own the car.

All I can say is more issues from delivery overload. <sigh>

9. favo

favo P3D+ owner

The standard line for months had been when you are at delivery, you get temporary access through your phone. Then it takes a couple days to transfer the car to your Tesla account.

Of course you can use the card key to operate the car, even if it's not on your account yet.

10. BenR

BenR Member

This never happened to me. Car was assigned to my Tesla account immediately upon delivery (7/10,) and that hasn't changed at any point. App has worked flawlessly.

• Like x 1
  11. danZ

danZ New Member

So I called Tesla technical support again, and was told this is expected and should usually resolve 72hrs since delivery, or 1-2 business since delivery (depending on which rep you talk to ...)