Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App reducing charging current by itself?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this exact same problem in my Model X. I set the charge current for 40 amps and to start charging at 12:00 am. When the car goes to sleep it resets the current to 23 amps. It used to be an intermittent issue, but with the latest software update it consistently does it every time the car goes to sleep when plugged in. This is not an issue with the charger or wiring, as it can manually be reset back to 40 if I start charging and it will stay there, this problem also does not occur on our model 3. If you figure out a solution I'd love to know, but as far as I can tell it's an annoying issue with the software

I have this exact same problem in my Model X. I set the charge current for 40 amps and to start charging at 12:00 am. When the car goes to sleep it resets the current to 23 amps. It used to be an intermittent issue, but with the latest software update it consistently does it every time the car goes to sleep when plugged in. This is not an issue with the charger or wiring, as it can manually be reset back to 40 if I start charging and it will stay there, this problem also does not occur on our model 3. If you figure out a solution I'd love to know, but as far as I can tell it's an annoying issue with the software
Sure sounds like a voltage problem. When you set the car to 40 amps, if sometime later a big load comes on and the Tesla sees a voltage drop, it will reduce charging amperage until the circuit holds voltage. The fact that you can reset it to 40 is not relevant.

But your model 3 makes things interesting. Can you set the model 3 to charge at 40 amps, or does it limit you to something lower?

I've got two chargers, the mobile at 32A and a gen 1 wall charger capable of 80A. While both will randomly do this, I do use the wall charger 99% of the time. I usually set it to 32A (overnight) or 48A+ during the day if I'm planning on going anywhere else later, but in the last few months it'll self fluctuate 5A+/- on its own...it's not a problem, I assume an app and/or car update is what's allowing it, I just Googled this thread since wanted to make sure I wasn't pocket adjusting by accident.