Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app unable to wake car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the last few days I've been unable to wake the car with the app. Rebooting the car and phone have not solved the issue. Once the car is awake app connectivity is fine. This has happened for brief periods previously but has always resolved by itself after a couple of hours.

Is this a currently a widespread problem in Victoria or Australia or is it a problem with my car?

Widespread. Tesla Tom has the issue too (as do I) and he has reached out to some people. See thread on Twitter:

Also being discussed here in another thread,

Workaround would be to enable sentry mode. And all the excess power usage that entails.

Reactions: GeoQuack
Thank you @Ted H and @RichardV I looked for a thread specifically discussing this issue but I'm not up to date with everyone on the forum. I hope my post is okay.
Workaround would be to enable sentry mode. And all the excess power usage that entails.

Yes, I thought that would probably work and I'll do it. I use ChargeHQ and I'm reliant on it being able to wake the car to start charging. I've only just got enough charge to get home from work today because of this. I normally cannot justify the 300 watts that century mode uses. Over 24 hours it's quite a lot and over 365 days...

Thank you @Ted H and @RichardV I looked for a thread specifically discussing this issue but I'm not up to date with everyone on the forum. I hope my post is okay.
A dedicated thread makes more sense than having it buried in the "software updates" thread - which I stopped reading months ago because it has the same people arguing the same things over and over and over again, and very little discussion on software updates.

So thank you for posting this new thread. It's saved me from lodging a pointless service request with Tesla.

Ah, I had an issue a couple of days ago but was fixed (I thought) by a two button reset. Turns out the next time I checked I was away from home so sentry mode was on, negating the glitch.

This morning I noticed remote climate activation didn't work which made me check if others had the same issue...

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

This works solely due to Sentry Mode keeping the car awake at all times. Given the amount of power sentry uses, it probably uses more power over 24 hours than excess solar could put back for many people 😄 so not a win overall 🤔

As I noted in the Tesla SW update thread, once the car is awake all other controls via the App work over the cellular network. So the Tesla API server is working. Possible causes:
  • The ‘wake’ message from the App, to the Tesla API server, then to the car over the cellular network, is not actually being sent by the Tesla server for some reason.
  • The Tesla server is sending the ‘wake’ SMS to Telstra, but the Telstra network is rejecting that specific message for some reason (while letting others through) and so never sends it to the car. This seems unlikely since other API messages get through once the car is awake.
  • The ‘wake’ message is being sent by Telstra, but some software bug in the car means it is not being received correctly, or it is being ignored. Maybe the LTE module is in deeper sleep than it should be, and so is not pageable, or the message is received by the LTE module, but then the car does nothing with it.
This is also not a Tesla App issue. I have a script for excess solar charging that directly communicates with the Tesla API and the same thing happens - the car simply does not wake in response to a ‘wake’ API call.

I've made a service appointment in a week's time. I've linked this thread in the description of the problem noting that it seems to be a widespread issue. I'll post my outcome here.
Response from Tesla service, so at least they are aware:
Screenshot_20230529_133409_Tesla.jpg

Tesla bug strikes again
Or perhaps - total uninformed speculation on my part - Telstra has implemented some anti-spam/anti-phishing measure which traps "identical" SMS messages coming from the same source and going to lots of different phone numbers. I reckon the "wake up" messages are identical from car-to-car and there would be an awful lot of them over time.

Dunno, maybe it's all just broken and needs a cleansing reboot somewhere upstream of all of us ;)

Reactions: moa999 and GeoQuack
Thanks for starting and for others who are contributing. I have the same issue and ChargeHQ missed the waking up a few days back. I have aTesla technician coming today to look at it. He is installing a new firmware as per the message. I will update once its done.
As I mentioned, the Tesla technician had a look. He updated a new firmware (I am at work, so not sure about the number), he also resetted the 12v battery and he said there was a notification for the BMS (battery management system). He said this should do.

I will charge it overnight and see if ChargeHQ can wake it up.

Or perhaps - total uninformed speculation on my part - Telstra has implemented some anti-spam/anti-phishing measure which traps "identical" SMS messages coming from the same source and going to lots of different phone numbers. I reckon the "wake up" messages are identical from car-to-car and there would be an awful lot of them over time.
This may red herring but our Kia Niro EV, also with a Telstra Sim, which has an App which is also refusing to sync with the car since the 26th May. Several other Niro EV here have reported the same problem on FB. A Telstra problem?