Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Approved Used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning. Picking up a 44,000m M3 today from Tesla. It's higher mileage but that aside, can I expect a very thoroughly clean car inside and out as I'm buying direct from them. I read somewhere that they prep them so well, it's difficult to tell the difference between old and new :) Just wondering in case I should be looking (or asking) for anything specific.

Thanks.

Don’t know who you’ve been speaking with, but you are likely to be sorely disappointed. Tesla aren’t particularly good at the valet side of things. Even new cars have often been left out in the rain and aren’t particularly clean. Second hand cars usually get a once over, but personally I’d take it to a proper valet after picking up.

I was at the local SC yesterday and whilst there I had a look at their display models. All three were second hand, as they’ve sold all their new stock. There was a 2018 MX that had dirt on the seat and still had an open coke can in the cup holder. And that was on display in the shop. 🤷‍♂️

When I collected my brand new Model 3 LR from Bristol in December, it had mud and scratch marks over all of the seats, suspect the staff who ‘prepare’ the cars had muddy boots on and just didn’t care. Ended up getting them to sort it before I signed for the car. So yes, download yourself one of the many Tesla collection checklists and take that with you.

It should be to their "Cosmetic and Mechanical Standards", and if it's not then they will repair it to them. The standards will be linked off the web page, but here's a copy/paste

Mechanical and Cosmetic Standards​

Every used Tesla has passed an internal inspection and may undergo light repairs to be prepared for sale. Normal wear and tear indicative of the age and mileage of the car should be expected.

Mechanical Condition​

Every Used Tesla meets or exceeds Tesla’s Mechanical Standards as outlined below:
  • No evidence of structural repairs
  • Tyres (4mm minimum)
  • Brake pads (6 mm minimum)

Components inspected for functionality:​

• Autopilot (if equipped)
  • Displays
  • Power-operated components
  • Steering and suspension components
  • Powertrain system
  • Vehicle braking system
  • Exterior lighting systems
  • Driver controls
  • Safety restraint systems
  • Charging system and equipment functionality

Cosmetic Condition​

Cosmetic wear and tear is typical of a Used car and does not affect the functionality of the car. Your car will exhibit cosmetic wear and tear that includes, but is not limited to, the following:

Exterior Painted Panels – Doors, hood, liftgate, front fenders, rear quarter panels, bumper​

• Scratches up to 2.5 cm
  • Dents up to 1 cm
  • Stone chips

Unpainted Panels or Exterior Trim​

• Scratches up to 7.5 cm

Glass​

• Stone chips (passes local roadworthiness inspection guidelines)
  • Scratches

Wheels​

• Rash up to 1 cm

Interior​

• Signs of usage on upholstery and interior panels such as markings, discolouration, small tears or stains up to 2.5 cm
  • Signs of usage on entry and exit points

Rubber Seals and Trim​

• Damage of rubber not affecting function

• Funny
Reactions: Smileysam
Morning. Picking up a 44,000m M3 today from Tesla. It's higher mileage but that aside, can I expect a very thoroughly clean car inside and out as I'm buying direct from them. I read somewhere that they prep them so well, it's difficult to tell the difference between old and new :) Just wondering in case I should be looking (or asking) for anything specific.

Thanks.
I would correlate Miles and % to make sure that 100% gives you the expected Miles, minus a hopefully small delta for any Battery Degeneration.

Back in 2020, my 2019 ex demo had all 4 wheels curbed, badly chipped windscreen and a dented bonnet. They did fix all of this after I called them out on it since at the time, they were advertising all these cars as New.
I think what happens is Tesla buys in part ex vehicles, they then use the vehicles for a few months as courtesy cars and then finally, give the car a quick wash & hoover before sticking a price on the windscreen.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz