Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla at-home charger "kits"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. I've been trying to get all my equipment to do my at-home charging project. I received some assistance here, so I appreciate you all for that.
I had an idea, that I wanted to run by you all and receive honest feedback.

Is there any need to provide 14-50 "kits". This would include "all" necessary items and custom 6-2 lengths (6,12,18,24, etc) or 6-3 if desired.
My experience has been going to a few electrical shops, HD, Lowes, and no one have 6-2 wiring. What are your thoughts?

If you’re looking for 6/2 MC cable, it can be found here and elsewhere. This will support full 48 amp charging on a 60 amp breaker, unlike 6/2 NM-B (Romex).

Stock Wire 6/2 Metal Clad (MC) Cable with Ground, Aluminum Armored, Stranded Copper Conductor (50Ft Cut), 25588, Metallic https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097YYKQPR/

I don’t think it’s necessary for Tesla to sell installation kits, as sourcing materials is the job of an electrician. Installations vary so much that any kit that’s created will either have too much or not enough included in it.

Hey all. I've been trying to get all my equipment to do my at-home charging project. I received some assistance here, so I appreciate you all for that.

Is there any need to provide 14-50 "kits". This would include "all" necessary items and custom 6-2 lengths (6,12,18,24, etc) or 6-3 if desired.
My experience has been going to a few electrical shops, HD, Lowes, and no one have 6-2 wiring. What are your thoughts?
www.wireandcableyourway.com will sell 6-2 by the foot, if you like. I just happen to have some extra from my install a few years back but its not likely to be worth shipping costs to get it to you.

I appreciate the responses but I’m not looking to purchase wire or advice on my install. I’m simply trying to receive feedback on the idea I proposed.

I don’t expect Tesla to supply or sell anything related to items needed for an at home charger.
I’m sharing my experience and struggles I had when I was looking for all items needed to do this project. Thus asking how would a “kit” idea fare? To reduce the questions and needs one has when trying to do this themselves. Sure not every install is the same but having a source could help. Again thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: statman55
Thus asking how would a “kit” idea fare? To reduce the questions and needs one has when trying to do this themselves. Sure not every install is the same but having a source could help.
OK, feedback:
This isn't a workable idea, because the installations vary WAAYYY too much. They are all over the place. Sometimes it's in a wall. Sometimes outside. Sometimes it's a detached garage. Sometimes it's 5 feet. Sometimes it's 100 feet. How big a circuit can people fit in their panels? That will also determine what kind of wire they need. Also, the breakers need to be the matched brand to people's panels. And if they don't have space, then they need to do some swapping around with putting in tandem breakers and such to free up space. And maybe they need a subpanel then.

Notice how I'm already up to at least 100+ kinds of combinations of "kits" that would be needed? So now choosing which "kit" is at least as complicated and hard and unlikely to have exactly what people need as just looking at the job and deciding what is needed and just getting it.

I used 6-3 w/ground. I connected one each of the four wires to the four outlet holes. That was ten years ago. I guess one could use 6-2 w/ground, but that wasn't available when I shopped at The Home Depot a dozen years ago.

A few more variables... NMB or conduit? some locales apparently don't allow NMB in a basement anymore. GFCI or not-GFCI? That's a $100-$125 difference right there, and could dictate how much breaker swapping the installer has to do, since there aren't any GFCI breakers that don't take two full spots of a panel.

Reactions: Rocky_H