Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't he talking about putting ARM+TRIP into a single chip? At least that's what I am reading, which I don't think Tesla will do.

I am speculating. Having said that, chips with more advanced pricepr nodes are more likely to be made in Taiwan and Korea. The request regarding tariff should be more in general, not necessarily regarding the main processor chip, but other stuff in the same brain like PCB or other components.

Isn't he talking about putting ARM+TRIP into a single chip? At least that's what I am reading, which I don't think Tesla will do.

Yeah, I was confused how separating the IP standard ARM core from the rest of logic made things more vendor neutral. Either way requires a board spin to implement, unless there were drop in replacements that I am not aware of.
If Tesla is having the TRIP fabbed, putting the ARM cores on the same die (or in the same package) greatly simplifies the board complexity.

Hi,

thanks for all the comments.

I was coming from that end:

https://electrek.co/2017/09/28/tesl...g-platform-autopilot-media/#jp-carousel-52503

So the entertainment PCB has a Intel SOC (Quadcore X86 + Intel GPU) in combination with an additional automotive Micro (NXP) on board (and additional chips for communication and interfacing). This PCB is "sandwiched" with the ADAS PCB to join the same cooling system (water cooling) . The ADAS PCB has the two NVIDIA Parker (in HW2.5) on board plus the NVIDIA Pascal GPU and one Safety MCU (Infineon AURIX) (and additional interfacing devices).

So for me personally the Intel SOC potentially could also be replaced with something different ... say by a Samsung Equinox, which would make more sense, since this device is known supporting Infotainment application. Whatever, that's only a side note and explains the background of my question. Is still assume that the Samsung SOC in on the ADAS PCB. If remember correct still in coexistence of NVIDIA chips? I read something in reddit? Was it also @verygreen?

As to the replacement of NVIDIA SOC by a Samsung SOC on the ADAS PCB: I object to the statement, that this a no-brainer. Switching from one to another MCU or SOC is always huge pain:

1) never pin-compatible!
2) SW stack totally different even basing on the same ARM architecture (or at least similar). NVIDIA has his DRIVE OS in place which I believe TESLA is using to "drive" Parker and Pascal (the latter especially because of CUDA). So moving away from that environment is more or less a full restart in SW development.

I cannot judge on the quality of the Samsung SOC and by that I don't know whether it is superior to the Parker SOC. But I can tell you: Samsung has to digest the automotive DNA as NVIDIA has done in the past. Samsung has to learn a lot!

It might be easy to support an infotainment solution but the field of ADAS is a lot more demanding in terms of:

1) reliability in general
2) functional safety
3) temperature ranges
4) security (here also the traditional OEMs lack a lot in experience to be fair)

To compare the Parker/Pascal approach with one unknown Samsung / TRIP approach is also not fair. It should be compared with Xavier / Volta.

In general there is an industry trend to move "everything" to AI. There is a huger discussion what is the perfect infrastructure for handling the problems of autonomous driving. Candidates are:

CPU will be always play a role as the master controller, AI should not run here
GPU was the first step of acceleration but GPU architecture has to evolve a lot to compete with other technologies
FPGA has some benefits because of it's flexibility but also is not the ultimate solution, needs also to evolve
ASIC which is a broad field, and I count the TRIP as an ASIC.

What I learned: Key is to avoid DDR memory access when executing the algorithm. Chips like the TRIP claim - besides the massive parallel computing - to always keep the data flow in the chip and the local SRAMs. Studies show that any storage to DDR memory severely hurts performance, power and latency. That to my knowledge is one of the weakest point of the GPU approach. That is also the reason why GPUs always have the top notch memory types and with that the highest bandwidth available.

If a TRIP like chip can really solve that issue described above must be proven in the wild. The Google TPU chip is known to follow this concept and is considered as a success.

Finally, there is a big race ... and every single day there pops a new start up (in automotive) which wants to address the automotive market.

Best regards,
Frank

Saw this on Reddit last night, someone said they were having issues with AP and called support. They told him that his car was built in Late January and so it had "new hardware for navigation and autopilot" and therefore needed to be diagnosed at a Service Center.

Taking it with a grain of salt, but definitely exciting if it ends up being true. Hopefully someone with a recent delivery is brave enough to disassemble the vehicle to take a look at the new autopilot computer.

Tesla is probably holding off announcing as long as possible to put off the inevitable onslaught of pre-paid FSD upgrades owners will be demanding as as soon as it is available and any knowledge of improvements in EAP hits the street!!!! (I’m in that group).
Still not sure there are any actual EAP improvements unique to HW3 yet though. Our resident hackers say the neural network and software used is identical on ap2/2.5.

Pick me pick me I'd be happy to beta test HW3 :cool:

I wonder if or when us FSD purchasers will get the chance to get the upgrade.

The question isn't if as it's already promised.

The only question is when. I imagine it will take them at least 3-6 months to get it on par with HW2+ in terms of performance/functions. So I wouldn't expect anything for at least 6 months, but sometime this year would likely be an accurate estimate.

I'm excited for it as I feel like it will be a huge improvement over HW2+ even for EAP only driving.

• Love
Reactions: OPRCE
You’ll be waiting quite a loooong time. I’m still waiting for the bugs to be worked out of HW2.0

Joking aside I do wonder if they'll even bother getting the bugs out of HW2.0

Tesla tends to look forwards, and they don't bother too much with stuff in the past regardless of what promises were made.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see some bugs like the Rear Camera not always working go completely unfixed. Especially considering HW3 has an entirely different SOC with different ISP (Image signal processor), and drivers.

Joking aside I do wonder if they'll even bother getting the bugs out of HW2.0

Tesla tends to look forwards, and they don't bother too much with stuff in the past regardless of what promises were made.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see some bugs like the Rear Camera not always working go completely unfixed. Especially considering HW3 has an entirely different SOC with different ISP (Image signal processor), and drivers.

Frankly, it's easier for them to pay the class actions at this point. I suspect anyone with a car earlier than AP2.5 and, to an increasing extent, earlier than MCU2, is going to left with a sackful of unfulfilled promises.

I've got an MCU1 AP2 car with prepaid FSD. What additional functionality am I going to get with a new board?

Exactly.

Now, if the car will *react* to stop signs *and* finally react to speed limit signs as did AP1, then I'm a happy camper. No way do I expect this generation of cars to handle traffic signals. Hell, my car still swerves right going down an empty, well-marked 4-lane boulevard.

Frankly, it's easier for them to pay the class actions at this point. I suspect anyone with a car earlier than AP2.5 and, to an increasing extent, MCU2, is going to left with a sackful of unfulfilled promises.

I've got an MCU1 AP2 car with prepaid FSD. What additional functionality am I going to get with a new board?

Exactly.

You mean without the new board?

Cause with the new board you'll have a lot of additional functionality. As a simple example right now you don't have dashcam capability (only available on AP2.5), and HW3 will have dashcam capability (eventually).

Last edited:
Still not sure there are any actual EAP improvements unique to HW3 yet though. Our resident hackers say the neural network and software used is identical on ap2/2.5.
While that may be true the NN is processing realtime data much faster. Simple things like staying it the center of a lane may be far more stable. I agree with other poster I'd expect existing FSD upgrades before it was in every car. One thing I've learned in my ordeal getting delivery is talking to Tesla reps is like talking to SSA or IRS, everyone will give you a slightly different story.
This is another wrinkle. So FSD owners get the hardware upgrade for free. Non-FSD owners do not. If the general public gets HW3 with new cars, that sort of leaves existing EAP only users largely screwed.

You mean without the new board?

Cause with the new board you'll have a lot of additional functionality. As a simple example right now you don't have dashcam capability (only available on AP2.5), and HW3 will have dashcam capability (eventually).

Are you 100% positive that a simple board swap (which is all that's been promised so far to FSD suckers ^H^H^H^H pre-purchasers dating back to late 2016) gets an AP2/MCU1 car dashcam functionality?

I disbelieve. I want to believe. But mushrooms aren't yet legal in California.

More to the functional point, there are exactly 2 features (of the list promised in late 2016 to AP2/FSD buyers) that I care about:

1. Stop sign reaction (see vaunted 12/2016 video and 1st mention circa 10/2104 AP1 launch).
2. Speed limit sign reaction (this worked 99% of the time with AP1, and fails regularly and often for very long distances even today with AP2 *and* AP2.5).

The clock is ticking.