Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot of the timeline tweet

View attachment 391726

Any bets on when HW3 software will be at parity or better with HW 2.5? And, man, these last two updates have been very unrefined with regards to AP 2.5, wonder how bad it will be on HW3?

My take is that it is not a matter of parity. AP3 software will come sequentially after AP2 software when Tesla gets to that point their FSD development where they need to do more than what AP2 can handle. So like, right now, Tesla is rolling out traffic light detection which works somewhat on AP2. And Tesla will probably be able to get traffic light detection to work better still on AP2. But maybe when they get to the "automatic city driving" feature promised on the FSD website where the car has to navigate intersections, which is beyond the capability of AP2, then Tesla will move on to AP3 software.

HW2 and AP2.0 cars get FSD. Mar 29, 2019 7pm

UPDATE with more of the thread:

Mkl7zRC.jpg

Last edited:
Elon is a master wordcraftman.
HW2.5 to hw3 on s/x is super easy so I can easily believe it could be done easily. It's the model3s and hw2.0 that I am concerned about. I would not bet on those at all.
:) yes, I understand as you repeat that almost daily. :) (Totally respect your [non NN] hacking abilities and what you show us in software, man).
However, it is hard to imagine that 'the model3s' would not be upgraded after all the FSD discussions about them from Elon.
1000's of hw2.0 have gotten various assurances about it and not sure they have a choice at this point. Dozens in that short twitter thread including very well known Tesla owners.
I won't be the first one in line when the 2.0 to HW3 upgrades are available tho. Want to see the reviews and tweaks of it.

Really? Show me dashcam or sentry mode for AP2? Elon said originally it was coming to all AP2 cars...
Seriously you are equating the importance of FSD with dashcam footage? The answer is part of the same discussion of HW3 upgrades as shown. Well known (media, etc) Tesla 2.0 owners are responding to that thread and related ones. Dashcam <> FSD, IMO -- heck even if the other color is needed cameras could be replaced. I've had my front one done already.

Last edited:
Reactions: EinSV
Tesla had 3 billion+ in cash last quarter. Getting FSD deployed would remove some of the deferred revenue liability and increase profit.
Besides, the vendor should be set up for peak production rate so no shortage of HW3s in various flavors.

It was the same for the 3. Deposit is refundable until you get matched with a VIN. Then it is non-refundable thus the wording that it is not part of car price, although you do get an offsetting credit on the final price.
While not escrowed, deposits are tracked in the liabilities section and do not impact profit.
Mongo you are super smart despite having the name mongo

• Funny
Reactions: mongo
Elon is a master wordcraftman.

HW2.5 to hw3 on s/x is super easy so I can easily believe it could be done easily. It's the model3s and hw2.0 that I am concerned about. I would not bet on those at all.

No doubt the HW2.0 experience will be sub-optimal because of the radar, but still an improvement on 2.0.

The vision performance will depend on how well the NN can cope with the limitations of the HW2.0 cams. IIRC the 2.0 cams are better for night vision(?) but worse for colour.

If the NN is able to detect "go" without being able to explictly see green, but with the same accuracy as 2.5, then we're all good, right?

• Informative
Reactions: MTOman and EinSV
They cannot do it. They enabled a signed bootloader so untrusted code cannot be run there. Unless they give away their private keys, but that's throwing all non-upgraded cars under the bus...

As I understand the device uses Fuses to set the signed key.

The fuses can only be set once (from a 0 to 1) on each bit. Once it's at 1 it can't go back to a zero.

Now they likely locked it down so that the private key (in the SOC chip) can't be changed (as in setting a bunch of the remaining zeros a 1).

I was hoping they left it so the signed key could be changed (by Tesla) to force it to use a different private key. That way they could give away that key as it's different than the key of those with non-upgraded cars.

Last edited:
No doubt the HW2.0 experience will be sub-optimal because of the radar, but still an improvement on 2.0.

The vision performance will depend on how well the NN can cope with the limitations of the HW2.0 cams. IIRC the 2.0 cams are better for night vision(?) but worse for colour.

If the NN is able to detect "go" without being able to explictly see green, but with the same accuracy as 2.5, then we're all good, right?
So it’s probably been covered before but can you tell me what the hardware differences are currently? I thought it was only the radar and that it was just a different supplier.... also mention of different steering motors.... I am curious what @jimmy_d thinks will happen with A.P 2.0. Oh I miss @jimmy_d analysis..... I know the software is the main thing to achieve FSD and not the hardware ...but I don’t understand how Elon is saying AP2 would be better for a while.... because with the NN training with new silicon? Someone edumacate me

Fun thought: what if the changes to the autopilot pricing structure are because HW3’s current level of operation in the current feature set doesn’t do a great job with the features they moved into “FSD”, and it’s a way to buy time with people taking delivery of HW3 cars so they don’t screech about how people with HW2.5 have more features (until the HW3 branch surpasses 2.5)? The people paying for FSD and taking delivery with HW3 are obviously not a majority.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver