Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have there been any known cases of a Model 3 getting the HW3 computer upgrade, or just the ones from the factory?

I had an appointment at SC for another issue and I've asked for it after buying FSD. They told me I don't need it since I've the latest hardware (but I do have HW2.5 by the usual checks).

I just made a new appointment due the cone visualization feature coming in the last upgrade. Let's see what happens.

No, I was not being ironic. I was being serious. In real life, I tend not be very assertive and I tend to pay by the rules and not make waves. So when Tesla said "don't request the upgrade, we will contact you when we are ready", I said "ok". But now that the first AP3 feature is out, there is that other part of me that thinks that I do need to be more assertive because otherwise I could miss out on features I paid for. So maybe I do eventually get the upgrade 6 months later, but I could have gotten it sooner had I been more assertive in requesting the upgrade. Plus, with all the owners who will need the upgrade, it is entirely possible that Tesla could forget to contact some people so better to remind Tesla that we want the upgrade.

Ahh. I’m definitely more of a “squeaky wheel gets the grease” sort of person. Shocking, I know! I figure worst case scenario is that they say “no, wait longer” which is where you’re already at, so there’s really no downside to asking.

I’m still waiting for my service center to do some triaging of their weekly appointments and cancel my AP3 appointment that’s scheduled for later this week. Or not, that would be fine as well!

Reactions: Big Ike
We had to take our 12/2017 HW2.5 MCU1 Model X in for a 12V issue which required a new 12V battery. I asked if they would be doing the HW3 FSD upgrade while they had it and was told that they were not and have nothing on the books for upgrades for their service center as of yet. (Decatur GA Tesla SC)

Meanwhile I just scheduled it on the app (11/20 10:00am) just for kicks to see what kind of response I get.

When we spoke with someone at Tesla, they mentioned the AP3 upgrade was available. They even mentioned more than just the FSD computer would be upgraded (cameras, wiring, etc.)

We scheduled the upgrade and waited for a couple weeks before they contacted us and told us they aren't doing AP2 upgrades yet. :(

Last edited:
We had to take our 12/2017 HW2.5 MCU1 Model X in for a 12V issue which required a new 12V battery. I asked if they would be doing the HW3 FSD upgrade while they had it and was told that they were not and have nothing on the books for upgrades for their service center as of yet. (Decatur GA Tesla SC)

Meanwhile I just scheduled it on the app (11/20 10:00am) just for kicks to see what kind of response I get.

That was a quick “No” turnaround. I especially liked then "Not Necessary at this time" part. SMH

566243E7-EA11-4A90-8F64-FB37250B156B.png

I am in no rush to get HW3. Maybe if I wait I will get HW4 which according to Elon is twice faster than HW3
I'm waiting for HW7 so I can command the car to go across country to pick up the rest of my personal items I left behind when I moved here, and then bring them back to me. :D Oh wait, the wife says I will be dead by that time. :eek:

I'm waiting for HW7 so I can command the car to go across country to pick up the rest of my personal items I left behind when I moved here, and then bring them back to me. :D Oh wait, the wife says I will be dead by that time. :eek:

Tesla has done three versions in three years. If you’ll be dead before HW7, you probably need to get started on your bucket list now...