Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Branded Front Glass Roof Sun Shade On 2021 Doesn’t Fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So odd, but just like the subject states, for some reason, the Tesla branded front glass roof sun shade I had on my 2020 SR+ does not fit the 2021 correctly, or at least for me it doesn’t. No bends in the metal or mishandling what so ever as well.

Figured I’d ask and see if anyone else had an issue as I’m bored and its 11:45 pm here. LOL

Reactions: f308gt4
Perhaps you might measure the space available and see how it compares to the size of your sunscreen and let us all know what you find out, esp. vs. the pervious year's spacing?

Wish I measured my SR+ prior to trading in, so I’d have MY exact measurement as the sun shade fit perfect, but if someone could chime in with theirs, please do. Ill measure my LR in the morning as well as the shade and reply of course. The curvature seems spot on still, but no matter what, one corner wont fit, and when pressed in, makes another corner pop down to compensate. So odd!

I just started watching him. I’ll look back at his older vids and see if I can find it. Can you state around when you saw it?
Can't remember. I don't really pay much attention to the Tesla YT streamers.
Measuring the sunroof is objective evidence, but mostly the content is highly opinionated/subjective and presented as truth.
I'm not going to mention the silicon tube to put around the sun roof but....

Glad I saw this thread. I was about to order both glass roof sunshields, since I don't want to add additional tint to them. Plus it's cheaper to buy the sunshields, and they can be removed in winter. There are reportedly other aftermarket alternatives at half the price, but I want a perfect fit. And now we learn they don't fit anymore. What does Tesla say about that??? Are they going to come up with a new set, or they expect us 2021+ owners to live with bad fit? In that case, I'd have no choice but to look at the aftermarket. Hopefully we can find an answer before spring. I'm going to wait to buy anything.

And yes, I also want to know why Tesla made that change. And if it impacted the rear roof glass or not. In other words, did they make the front smaller to enlarge the rear? Or they enlarged the middle portion between glasses, so the rear remains the same? I need to know this too, since I want to cover both glasses. Thx.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Glad I saw this thread. I was about to order both glass roof sunshields, since I don't want to add additional tint to them. Plus it's cheaper to buy the sunshields, and they can be removed in winter. There are reportedly other aftermarket alternatives at half the price, but I want a perfect fit. And now we learn they don't fit anymore. What does Tesla say about that??? Are they going to come up with a new set, or they expect us 2021+ owners to live with bad fit? In that case, I'd have no choice but to look at the aftermarket. Hopefully we can find an answer before spring. I'm going to wait to buy anything.

And yes, I also want to know why Tesla made that change. And if it impacted the rear roof glass or not. In other words, did they make the front smaller to enlarge the rear? Or they enlarged the middle portion between glasses, so the rear remains the same? I need to know this too, since I want to cover both glasses. Thx.

This might as well came right out of my mouth. Well stated. Id assume in time, another version will be made to fit the 2021 models and beyond, but its a waiting game. Id rather a Tesla branded one, but Ill go for an aftermarket if no other choice as well.

What are you talking about? The 2 glass roof sections are RECTANGULAR, not circular. And it's definitely like 3/8" to 1/2" narrower, as reported by many members, so Tesla needs to add a 2021+ version that fits properly.

My SA, who is the Austin manager, didn't know of that change, so it might take a loooong time to get a new version. In this case, we might have to rely on the aftermarket. Hopefully something will come out soon that is high quality with OEM fit.

• Informative
Reactions: JaeTheDev
I’m in a 2020 rental 3 while mine is in the shop. Since the rental isn’t tinted, I installed the Tesla branded rear mesh screen from my car in the rental... and it doesn’t fit! It’s slightly too large and has to bow on one edge to stay in. It’s usable but I’m surprised there was this much variation. Did Tesla fluff up the headliner on the 2020s? :p

Reactions: arie21014