Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla branded solar power storage unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a full 15.1Kw solar array on the roof that yields an electric bill of minus $1500.00 a year!! The problem is it is a grid connected system and there is no storage/battery backup. When there is a power outage (think hurricane here in Florida) the inverters shut down until the grid is restored. Up until now a lead acid battery bank is size and cost prohibitive based on a four to five year life expectancy and the nne to power critical items that include at least one of the homes 4 ton AC units. This Tesla solution with a 10+ year life and far smaller volume than lead acid may be just the thing I need.

Last edited:
SMA is a German Company. Do you think that they would come to Italy to install a power solar system?

I have a 3.8kw solar system installed in Uk with an SMA inverter installed. It was installed by a local installer and not SMA. Below is an italian phone number for SMA service centre. Why not give them a call and ask if they can give the details of a local installer
SMA Italia S.r.l.[/h]
Headquarters
Milano
SMA Service Line
+39 02 8934-7299
www.SMA-Italia.com web site does not display anything useful

It's got me thinking about how much battery storage I'd need to take my solar PV system off net metering. Now that the local electric utility is going to add a new fee of about %15 of the retail value of all the electricity my system generates (about 1/2 of which is actually used directly already, representing almost 25% of the retail value of the electricity I feed back to them), it behooves me to take my self-generation off the grid.

Round trip losses and capital costs and peak charges, oh my!

I have a 3.8kw solar system installed in Uk with an SMA inverter installed. It was installed by a local installer and not SMA. Below is an italian phone number for SMA service centre. Why not give them a call and ask if they can give the details of a local installer
SMA Italia S.r.l.[/h]
Headquarters
Milano
SMA Service Line
+39 02 8934-7299
www.SMA-Italia.com web site does not display anything useful

Thank you for the information. Good to know this.

Given the battery degradation on existing Nissan Leafs I wouldn't want to put any more stress on a Leaf battery than it already sees with heat, charging, and driving.

Real World Battery Capacity Loss - MyNissanLeaf
My Nissan Leaf Forum View topic - Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Though personally I haven't had a power outage last more than an hour in the last 10 years and no more than 2 minutes within the last 3 years so I'd be happy with a battery backup for my house that could just cover a few hours of full use (heat/AC, TVs, water heater, some of everything) or a 24 hour period of minimal use (refrigerator, microwave, one PC, let the temps of the house and water trend towards ambient)

If they offered multiple systems I'd opt for the cheapest Tesla one and wouldn't even consider a higher capacity option. I'd be less confident about other vendors than I am about Tesla.

As Solarguy has stated this would be a great backup for Florida, I think this is a small leap to just installing the disconnect required to separate a generator system from the grid and use a Tesla model S or X or E as the battery backup. If you have a solar supply all the better, with the grid down you can still get power from your solar system that is topping up the Tesla battery in the car during the day and powering the house during the night. In the short term of a 2 or 3 day power outage due to storm, the Tesla could keep the fridge and freezers going in house as a small generator would do. Great selling point to own a car powered by Tesla if it also could protect you from short term power outage , think of the Enron days and the rolling brown outs in California alone.

We have a full 15.1Kw solar array on the roof...

I have a 16kW system from Solar City...

Christ, how much electricity do you guys use?! Lol, I have a 3.5kW system from Solar City and it's enough to get rid of my $80/mo average bill from Edison. That doesn't include the car, but I'd pay SolarCity $0.17/kWh to charge the car and Edison only charges $0.09/kWh between midnight and 6AM, so I'm sticking with that.