Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla build date and VIN correlation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my VIN yesterday, F538, and texted my SA today asking what the build date was. They replied with "The build date will be August 4th"

Does that really mean my car was built 3 weeks ago and has been sitting at the factory ever since? I assumed with a high vin it'd be built this week. If the August 4th claim is true then that means it won't even have the new door panels.

I'm not sure how Tesla VINs work but do they create a big batch of VINs at the beginning of the month and then build them throughout the month? My SA might be seeing the date my VIN was "created" but not when my car was actually built.

Just wanted to chime in; MYLR7/white/back/no tow/FSD with a VIN of F520. After seeing this thread, I requested the build date, and was told it was built on Aug 12th.

I only got assigned the VIN on Aug 23rd (seen via MVPA and Source Code), I assume it's because I live in Canada and it takes them a little longer to build and ship them out in batches (I really have no clue, just taking a guess heh).

Just wanted to chime in; MYLR7/white/back/no tow/FSD with a VIN of F520. After seeing this thread, I requested the build date, and was told it was built on Aug 12th.

I only got assigned the VIN on Aug 23rd (seen via MVPA and Source Code), I assume it's because I live in Canada and it takes them a little longer to build and ship them out in batches (I really have no clue, just taking a guess heh).
I spoke to another SA who told me my car's birth date was on August 23rd, the same day I received my VIN. I think the first SA saw the date my VIN was created in the system, not the actual build date. I don't think Tesla has their cars sit around in the factory for weeks without having their VINs assigned. I'm pretty sure the VINs are assigned during the vehicle's production or right after it's done production and is ready to be shipped.

Reactions: pselectric
I received my VIN yesterday, F538, and texted my SA today asking what the build date was. They replied with "The build date will be August 4th"

Does that really mean my car was built 3 weeks ago and has been sitting at the factory ever since? I assumed with a high vin it'd be built this week. If the August 4th claim is true then that means it won't even have the new door panels.

I'm not sure how Tesla VINs work but do they create a big batch of VINs at the beginning of the month and then build them throughout the month? My SA might be seeing the date my VIN was "created" but not when my car was actually built.
Your SA likely meant the build date will be Sep 4. Got the wrong month. It’s only 5 days from no so it fits.

Based on the conversations above and other threads, it seems that the new order comes with the new built/VIN, and ppl should be informed with the VIN around the built-date.

However, with the upcoming HW4 delivery, I'm wondering if Tesla is planning to assign the rejected HW3 vehicles to people who later placed the orders, since there are lots of ppl who don't care or don't know HW3/4. I guess it's common for Tesla to do so when vehicles are being upgraded/modified??