Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cam viewer bug fixes/feature suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed today that sentry recordings made after 2020.12.5, now have location data. In the dashcam viewer it now shows the location under the clip. With location data you could add a few cool features:
  • Map view of recordings
  • Filters for recordings in certain locations
  • Search for recordings in specified location
Also, with the in-cabin camera in the news lately...
  • Add in-cabin camera to sentry recordings
This would give you another angle and additional footage to better identify someone who was able to successfully break-in to the car.

Last edited:
Hi. There is something I'm not understanding about how the dashcam saves video when you are driving. I just got back from a trip to Sacramento. When I open the viewer I see no files. I hit the save before I opened the viewer and all I see is the one clip in my garage. Yet if I look at the USB drive on the computer I see many one minute clips. What am I missing? Thanks

Hi. There is something I'm not understanding about how the dashcam saves video when you are driving. I just got back from a trip to Sacramento. When I open the viewer I see no files. I hit the save before I opened the viewer and all I see is the one clip in my garage. Yet if I look at the USB drive on the computer I see many one minute clips. What am I missing? Thanks
Two things are happening here. If you are clicking to save, those clips are saved under “Teslacam” and are not viewable for some reason on the in-car viewer which only Works for sentry clips and honk-to-save clips.

The 1 minute clips are how the sentry clips used to be saved, 10 minutes of video broken out into 1min clips. The viewer now allows you to view the full 10minutes of videos continuously. I am not sure if new videos saved after the update actually save in 10 min clips now as well.

Something else interesting post-update is that video clips now show a location where as older clips do not. So new clips now have more information included but idk if they have also have changed formats from 1min to 10min clips since i haven’t connected my memory card to a computer since the update to check.

My 256 gig thumb drive from Costo worked fine for months. After the new update with the viewer I get a message that the drive needs to be faster than 4mbs. Doesn't show write speed. Specs :
  • USB 3.0 enabled (USB 2.0 compatible)
  • Transfer much faster than standard USB 2.0 drives; up to 90MB/s read speed

Thank you @PNWLeccy. So if I understand you correctly, TeslaCam does not aggregate clips unless something happens? I've seen clips of Tesla's nearly being sideswiped. How did those get created?
In a situation like you described, you would have to tap the camera icon on the screen and select "save clip" after an incident like that in order to have it saved - it won't save automatically (unless you have the save-on-honk setting turned on AND you honked during said incident). However, if you manually saved the clip like I've described, it will not show up on the in-car viewer but it IS saved and can be viewed if you insert your memory card into a computer.

It's a good point that you've highlighted though, because those Saved Clips should be viewable in the viewer as well.

Yesterday when I got into the car I hit save before I opened the viewer. The only clip there was the one I just saved. I had 12.10. I now have 12.11.1 that I got last night. Have not tried it yet.

That seems to be a problem with me as well. I would click save first, then I would only first the last 10 minutes or so for the Dashcam section, when it's supposed to save the last hour? Am I doing something wrong here?

Sentry clips works fine for me, however.

That seems to be a problem with me as well. I would click save first, then I would only first the last 10 minutes or so for the Dashcam section, when it's supposed to save the last hour? Am I doing something wrong here?

Sentry clips works fine for me, however.

The in-car viewer does not display recent footage. Period.

That's the "one hour buffer" you're thinking of.

It'll show saved, or sentry, files. That's it.

Hitting "save" saves the last 10 minutes only (same length as when sentry triggers and moved the last 10 minutes of recent over to its folder)

If you (or sentry) didn't think it worth saving- the viewer won't view it.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Found an interesting bug that freezes the system. Call me lazy but if I watch any entertainment and need to depart, I'll just engage the brake and shift in gear. This will bring the screen to normal drive mode and the way we go.
Doing this twice, (second was by accident) when watching dash cam viewer, applying brake and shifting in gear freezes the system. Car doesn't go into gear and requires a reboot. The car actually goes into neutral but not in gear. Can't move the car until reboot is near complete.