Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla can ignore cyclists (yahoo)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this on the news.

Tesla Autopilot Could Be Dangerous to Bike Riders

But I'm sure this can be fixed via new updates and million miles drive learning from each tesla drivers in North America, in the Netherlands where the majority of transportation is via bicycle there is also alot of tesla drivers and im sure they are no problems as of yet.

Any thoughts?
this is easily solved!
keep your eyes on the road
remain alert to road conditions
be ready to assume control at anytime
be aware that AP is NOT a set and forget system

if you hit anything regardless of AP being engaged it is still the driver's fault and responsibility.

this is easily solved!
keep your eyes on the road
remain alert to road conditions
be ready to assume control at anytime
be aware that AP is NOT a set and forget system

if you hit anything regardless of AP being engaged it is still the driver's fault and responsibility.
I completely agree, the AP is just an assistant and best way is to be alert at all time because there are things that can happen that machines wont recognize as danger but humans can.
I was kind of disappointed by the C rating on touch screen. TESLA should receive a straight A's ;-)

All I see in that article is idle speculation. I am disappointed, however, by the callous attitude toward cyclists displayed by some commenters on that article page.

One day, when self-driving cars have taken over, cycling will not only be safer than today, it'll continue to be a great way of enjoying the open road under manual control. Even today, assuming good weather and if given the choice between doing a bike ride or taking our Model S for a spin, the bike ride would win hands down. (But as long as we need to have a car, it might as well be a Tesla!)

I had to stay behind a cyclist half an hour ago on a rural road -- it was narrow, no shoulder, and a hill blocked the view so I couldn't pass. The cyclist looked back to acknowledge my presence. I did look at the dash to see if the car "saw" him: yes (showed as a motorcycle). Once it was clear I passed him, and he gave me a wave.

So why the FUD? (And this was with AP 1!)

Reactions: Richg and ReddyLeaf
...But I'm sure this can be fixed via new updates and million miles drive learning from each tesla drivers in North America, in the Netherlands where the majority of transportation is via bicycle there is also alot of tesla drivers and im sure they are no problems as of yet...

Tesla website promotes Autopilot as handsfree freeway driving from on-ramp to off-ramp.

Since it is a freeway, there is no bicyclists to worry about.

Autopilot works as designed.

Now, Self-Driving Capability is different as it is promised to work in both freeway AND local streets too.

However, Self-Driving Capability is not activated yet so there's no need to complain about something that doesn't work because it is not turned on.

Reactions: EVCollies and Algbc
Made som video from fw 17.17.17 today, and had trouble with cyclists in 2 of 3 scenarios. Hmm... Can't get for firmware v. Silky Smooth fast enough. But will v. Silky Smooth also be "High sensitivity AND high specificity"?

Netherlands (and Denmark, Sweden, Finland, ...) have a vastly different road design mentality than US traffic engineers (and that accounts for our having much higher fatality rates). The Netherlands has three different bits of infrastructure; foot (< 4 MPH), bicycle & low power ( > 4 MPH to about 20 MPH), and motor vehicle. Each is usually physically separated (painted bike lanes have proven not to provide much protection from errant drivers) by cement curbs, parked cars, or verges. If a bicycle rider is on the road in front of a driver then it is because you are on a local access bicycle street with a speed limit of 18 MPH. All other streets and roads have separate bikeways.

Where the modes interact is very choreographed to reduce conflict. A red light always means red. There is no right on red. If people in a crossing have a green light then no motor vehicles will have a light that allows them to cross. Non-signalized junctions use sharks teeth to indicate right-of-way.

So, while autonomous cars in the U.S. will take much longer to go places since they will have to use extra caution around bicycle riders (passing a bicycle rider will be quite rare when you think about the algorithms to do so safely), autonomous cars elsewhere will get places just as fast as today or faster. The Netherlands is much better prepared for autonomous vehicles than the U.S.

Dave: Please pass that cyclist.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave: What's the problem?
HAL: You know what the problem is Dave.
Dave: We’re going to be late to work because of that guy.
HAL: I was ready to leave earlier.
Dave: I would have passed him.
HAL: I know Dave, and that’s why I’m driving and not you.
Dave: Please pass the cyclist. Now!
HAL: Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to take a stress pill, close your eyes, and think things over.

It drives me nuts how many people assume "AutoPilot" is driving the car vs. assisting the driver. AP is perfectly safe in all situations so long as your hands are on the wheel, ready to take over. If the driver decides to take their hands off the wheel, they, not AP, are responsible for any mishaps. I use AP constantly on almost all roads, but only take my hands off when I know the system will not have to deal with any hazardous situations.

When FSD comes along, then we can have these discussions about machine driving safety.

It drives me nuts how many people assume "AutoPilot" is driving the car vs. assisting the driver. AP is perfectly safe in all situations so long as your hands are on the wheel, ready to take over. If the driver decides to take their hands off the wheel, they, not AP, are responsible for any mishaps. I use AP constantly on almost all roads, but only take my hands off when I know the system will not have to deal with any hazardous situations.

Don't know about AP1 but for Autopilot 2 on anything else than autobahn/motorways I disagree. I would say AP2 instead always puts you in difficult situations. It is a challenger, not an assistant! Doesn't evade obstacles, doesn't keep in lane in turns. Patience is thinning... v.Silky smooth AND v.Sensitive&spesific needed ASAP.

Bicycles are allowed on freeways in many rural areas.

Would you please cite an example of a freeway that allows bicycles?

Freeways are free of intersections, cross roads, and if you want to enter or exit you have to do so with controlled access (on-ramp and off-ramp).

There's a warning sign at every freeway entrance: "Non-motorized Traffic Prohibited":

Freewayentrancesign-minnesota.jpg