Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cancelled My Order - Am I right to be upset?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Short Versions:
I ordered a M3LR with FSD and waited for six months.
Went on a week-long camping trip.
Returned to my cell phone to learn that while I was gone, they texted me to schedule delivery, and then canceled my order when I didn't respond after six days.
I asked if I could still get my car (I was willing to wait) my advisor said "It wouldn't be fair to make an exception", and that if I still wanted it, I'd have to place a new order that would cost $5k more than the order they cancelled. He ignored my multiple inquiries as to whether there was anyone I could appeal his decision to.

1. Am I right in feeling upset?
2. Does anyone know how/who I could appeal this to Tesla?

1. Am I right in feeling upset?
2. Does anyone know how/who I could appeal this to Tesla?

1. Probably not (right in feeling upset) unless its upset at yourself, since there is definitely 100% more to this story than is being stated here, about why the order was out for so long, and what kind of camping trip you were on in 2022 where you were actually out of cellphone range for 6 entire days without checking in with someone (and seeing your texts).

2. The only people you can escalate with at tesla are at one of the sales locations. There isnt anyone else.

You’re still leaving out a lot of details. If you ordered in September 2021 you should have received the vehicle well before the end of 2021, likely around November. Why did that not happen? What was the exact timeline of events and updates between September and end of March?

Until you provide all that info there is no way to ascertain what happened and who is in the wrong here.

A total of three TMC posts……. Moving on

(repeating that this post is not a moderator note, does not represent TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone except jjrandorin the regular poster, not even "jjrandorin the moderator")

I totally get why someone would think that, but I dont automatically discount someone who has a very low post count. There are other things that go into it with me, on whether I pay too much attention to "a story" or not.

Its somewhat nuanced, and you likely do it yourself, whether you realize it or not. Its not the low post count that is likely making you decide to move on, even though you mention that. Its probably some combination of:

1. extremely low post count, even though the account was created previously.

2. Story with fairly obvious holes / omissions in it, like

a. Why post about this now when it happened in March?
b. What kind of camping trip is a person on where they are not at least checking in to tell someone they are still alive for 6 entire days (and thus seeing their text messages?
c. Why was the order out for so long? (location is not given, we can only guess). The "occams razor" guess is that the OP put it on hold trying to get a tax credit like a ton of other people did, but we dont know, and they didnt say because it would weaken their "Im upset" story.

The OPs post comes across as the standard "smear campaign" attempt that people try to do when they dont get their way, and while they may have created an account here a long time ago, they are basically a new poster.

Anyone used to online forums (not just TMC, but knowing their way around forums) can usually pick out both troll posts (which I do not think this is) or posts made to picture themselves being wronged when they are at least partially at fault (which I believe this is), regardless of post count. There are many new posters here who have things that dont look as much like "I am leaving this stuff out, only pay attention to the part that shows I am being wronged" than this one does.

(repeating that this post is not a moderator note, does not represent TMC, TMC moderators, or anyone except jjrandorin the regular poster, not even "jjrandorin the moderator")

I totally get why someone would think that, but I dont automatically discount someone who has a very low post count. There are other things that go into it with me, on whether I pay too much attention to "a story" or not.

Its somewhat nuanced, and you likely do it yourself, whether you realize it or not. Its not the low post count that is likely making you decide to move on, even though you mention that. Its probably some combination of:

1. extremely low post count, even though the account was created previously.

2. Story with fairly obvious holes / omissions in it, like

a. Why post about this now when it happened in March?
b. What kind of camping trip is a person on where they are not at least checking in to tell someone they are still alive for 6 entire days (and thus seeing their text messages?
c. Why was the order out for so long? (location is not given, we can only guess). The "occams razor" guess is that the OP put it on hold trying to get a tax credit like a ton of other people did, but we dont know, and they didnt say because it would weaken their "Im upset" story.

The OPs post comes across as the standard "smear campaign" attempt that people try to do when they dont get their way, and while they may have created an account here a long time ago, they are basically a new poster.

Anyone used to online forums (not just TMC, but knowing their way around forums) can usually pick out both troll posts (which I do not think this is) or posts made to picture themselves being wronged when they are at least partially at fault (which I believe this is), regardless of post count. There are many new posters here who have things that dont look as much like "I am leaving this stuff out, only pay attention to the part that shows I am being wronged" than this one does.
Right. That plus the additional datapoint of low post count. Not just the low post count.

Shortest Version: What can i do to get someone else from Tesla to look at my case?

Background:
I'm a Tesla fan. I got a MY for my wife in January (Ordered June 3rd.) 10% of my 401(k) is in TSLA I even have the Tesla Tequila decanter and Supercharger phone charger on my desk.

Long Version:

I ordered my M3 in September.
I did defer delivery 3/2 because the delivery date jumped up suddenly and I wasn't ready financially. 3/17 I said I was ready.
New projected delivery date was more than a month out.
3/22 I went on vacation to Big Bend National Park for a week and disconnected from technology.
3/30 I came back and saw I had missed two texts asking me to schedule my pick up.
I replied that I'd like my car but was told it wouldn't "be fair" to make an exception and my order had been cancelled.
I exchanged emails with an advisor over the next several weeks asking, "Can I appeal?" and "How long between the first text message and cancellation of the order? After several days I would get replies that didn't answer the questions, but instruct me on how to put a new order in at the higher car and FSD prices.
Eventually, he responded that it was six days between first text and cancellation, but never answered my question about appealing to someone else.

What I'm asking is, Is there anything else I can do to get someone else from Tesla to look at my case?

Shortest Version: What can i do to get someone else from Tesla to look at my case?

Background:
I'm a Tesla fan. I got a MY for my wife in January (Ordered June 3rd.) 10% of my 401(k) is in TSLA I even have the Tesla Tequila decanter and Supercharger phone charger on my desk.

Long Version:

I did defer delivery 3/2 because the delivery date jumped up suddenly and I wasn't ready financially. 3/17 I said I was ready.
3/22 I went on vacation to Big Bend National Park for a week and disconnected from technology.
3/30 I came back and saw I had missed two texts asking me to schedule my pick up.
I replied that I'd like my car but was told it wouldn't "be fair" to make an exception and my order had been cancelled.
I exchanged emails with an advisor over the next several weeks asking, "Can I appeal?" and "How long between the first text message and cancellation of the order? After several days I would get replies that didn't answer the questions, but instruct me on how to put a new order in at the higher car and FSD prices.
Eventually, he responded that it was six days between first text and cancellation, but never answered my question about appealing to someone else.

What I'm asking is, Is there anything else I can do to get someone else from Tesla to look at my case?

There must be something else here. If you ordered your Model 3 LR in September, you should have received it in 2021. What happened that delayed delivery by 3 months? Did you change configuration? Hold delivery?

Background:

Long Version:

Sounds legit to me. I ordered a LR M3 in November 2021 after selling my 2020 Performance Y.

I moved my order back once because I was traveling and Tesla was not flexible (even though I waited 6 months with inevitable delays on their end). I then scheduled delivery and then they delayed a week for the chargeport. They sent me a text at 4:30pm on 4/16 and said if I did not respond by 5pm they would release my VIN. I didn’t respond in time (I was working) but the next day they allowed me to schedule and I picked up on 4/19.

I also love Tesla, but their delivery is terrible, they can delay as much as they want, but when they are ready to deliver you better be ready. There is no recourse after 1 delay (2 weeks) that I am aware of. Good luck!

There must be something else here. If you ordered your Model 3 LR in September, you should have received it in 2021. What happened that delayed delivery by 3 months? Did you change configuration? Hold delivery?
None of that. I'm not certain why it was so long. Perhaps the combination I ordered (Blue over Black) or the region I'm in (Wisconin) contributed to my order being pushed back by Tesla.
But even if I ordered it in March, the situation is the same.

Maybe try calling Tesla's 1 (888) 518-3752 Customer Service number or stop by a Tesla Store (if one is local to you) to speak to someone in person.

You should have probably tried the above shortly after the delivery date/order was canceled, though, instead of posting your question ~2 months after the fact...

I definitely hate the wait, wait, wait, oh your car is here you better get it now or we will to sell it to someone else attitude that Tesla has.

That said, I think a lot of this one is on you. You pushed the first delivery out (as you mentioned) because you were not ready financially. For the recent one you must have gotten a VIN notification before your trip? Once you get the VIN you really should have been on top of the delivery window and proactively called them to let them know you will be on vacation and off the grid. While they likely would not have kept your car they likely would have given you another one much sooner and you would have kept your original price and not had to start over again.

If you are Telsa I get it too. People probably flake out on them all the time and they have a very hot car that they can sell immediately to someone else and from their perspective you ghosted them.

I think they should give you the previous price but I think you will have a hard time. I would give the 888 number a call and plead your case.

Reactions: IdaX

Other than going down to a tesla location (where they are unlikely to do anything, but you never know), or tweeting at elon (which for a "I cant buy my car at the old price because I pushed it off once, then was not available the second time" reason is unlikely to get a response... no, there is no other escalation path we are aware of.

Reactions: Hiline
surprised they cancelled. Tesla spent several months text messaging updates to my home phone (which I obviously didn't get). It was only when I got a (voice) phone call from the delivery person (NH home delivery from NJ site) that I actually found out my car was ready.

It seems odd they didn't give you more time to respond or just push it back again or reassign a new VIN, but also you shouldn't have hit "I'm ready" immediately before a long trip where you were going to be completely unplugged from the world...

surprised they cancelled. Tesla spent several months text messaging updates to my home phone (which I obviously didn't get). It was only when I got a (voice) phone call from the delivery person (NH home delivery from NJ site) that I actually found out my car was ready.
I am guessing it was not just a single text. OP, I am assuming Tesla reached out several times (you may not even know if your phone was off).