Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cancelled my solar roof order.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put the deposit down almost exactly 3 years ago. Never got an update until today.

vha98P6.jpg

Hmm 3 years. Maybe they had hoped to have enough orders at some point to make sense to expand into your area. There is a lot that goes into training staff and keeping them busy so I can see passing for that reason. And if they would install and didn't have support staff and you needed service you wouldn't be happy. Three years is a long time although I know some people placed orders in 2019 and with supply constrained finally got an install in March.

I wonder if other solar installers in your area can buy Tesla products and install. Oh wait I see that this was for the solar roof. I can picture this more now. We have a neighbor a few blocks over that we noticed they had two teslas in their driveway and stopped by to talk to them, this would have been back in 2017 when my husband first got his car. They mentioned that they had put in a deposit on an order for the solar roof. Drove past their house the other day and still no solar roof. And this is California bay area so I think as they found changes they wanted to make with version 1 they held back. The fact that they are now making moves into areas really has been a protracted introduction period. Curious what you will do now? solar panels or wait. Don't think there is anyone else I know of doing solar tiles or would consider even going with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
People who put down deposits on newly announced products that won't go into production for a while, I think know it's not necessarily a short wait. And as the company proceeds with changes and testing if the wait becomes too lengthy they have been issuing refunds. My deposit on my Model 3 was to secure me a place to be earlier in line once production started. As with the Model 3 it took a long time before non-reservation people had a chance to order and then get their cars. I don't think most deposits on things earn interest.