TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla car cover quality?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Gr8pursuit, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

Anyone have the Tesla indoor (black) or outdoor (grey) car cover.
    Heard they were made by Covercraft and wondering how's the quality and if
    the car side of the cover is soft.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I have the outdoor cover. It is very nice, great quality and very protective, however it is very bulky. Sure it comes in a relatively small bag, neatly and tightly rolled up, but once you use it you are very unlikely to get it back into that bag!

3. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

The car side is soft. I agree that the cover is bulky.

There's a label indicating the manufacturer is CoverKing.

4. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

Does the outdoor cover have grommet holes on the sides to tie down the cover?
    Thanks.

5. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

Yes, the outdoor cover does have grommets. I use mine as an indoor cover for two years with no issues.

6. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#6 artsci, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    I have the outdoor cover. It's the best outdoor car cover I've ever had, far better than any I've had from Covercraft. It's waterproof, has interior flocking to protect the finish, and fits incredibly well. It does have the grommets but in all except the very highest winds, because it fits so tightly, it will not blow off, and tying it down is not necessary. I store it in the space under the lid in the trunk. Fits there quite well. Here are a few photos of it on my car.

DSC_3311.JPG

DSC_3307.JPG

DSC_3300.JPG

DSC_3303.JPG

7. Gr8pursuit

Gr8pursuit Member

@artsci, looks good, thanks for the info.

8. DavidB

DavidB Aug 2013 S85

Rick, I'm curious: How long does it take for you to put on & off the cover, and where do you store it?

9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It takes me a few minutes to put it on and off. The trick is the technique for rolling it up when you take it off. I fold up both sides onto the roof, then roll it up from the rear end into a tight bundle, then fold the bundle in half. It stores in the trunk storage space under the fold up lid (I put hinges on the lid so it was easier to open and close).

When I put it on I place the rolled up bundle on the roof, roll it back to the rear, pull it forward to align the side view mirror pockets, the fold down one side at a time, attaching each side view mirror pocket first. That holds it in place while the bottom edges are stretched around the car. I start that process in the front and work around the the rear. The elastic material on the bottom edge of the cover ensures a tight fit.

10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I use almost exactly the same technique as @artsci describes, but roll the cover from each end of the car up to the roof, then fold in half.