Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Caravanning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my MYLR in March, used it to tow the caravan on the first trip of the year and thought I'd share the results as I spent a lot of time searching for efficiency beforehand and a lot on the forum seems to relate to trailers.

Car was loaded with 2 adults + 3 kids + luggage + awaning etc., caravan is light weight at MRO at 1150kg. Not sure how much impact it has but I had the 12v fridge running although I'm not 100% sure the Tesla is feeding that.

Journey there - 92.12miles - 494 wh/mile avg speed 38mph time taken 2 hours 38 minutes elevation loss 140ft temp 17.4
Journey back - 90.56miles - 497 wh/mile avg speed 33mph time taken 2 hours 51 minutes, elevation gain 143ft temp 13.9

So this is a range of about 150 which is around what I thought.

My next journey is 180 miles away and across south wales with its dearth of fast chargers. I wasn't planning on using the Tesla for the journey but it's such a good tow car I think I will now. Overtakes are a breeze even with a caravan!

Site had 11kwh chargers this time so no detours, for a longer journey think I'm going to unhitch and supercharge.

Agree on the drag, made me curious about those wind deflectors but it's a lot of money to waste if it's not set up to push the air over properly.

2 for the car, call it 1.2 for the caravan, 0.2 in people and luggage probably 0.2 too. Old rules probably would have had it slightly over maybe just sneaking under, thank god for the rule change.

I hadn’t realised the rules changed. I thought if you had a licence after 97 the most you could tow was 3.5t. So the max weight of the car and caravan combined had to be under 3.5t. But that’s no longer the case… Handy when the gross weight of a Y is nearly 2.5t.

I hadn’t realised the rules changed. I thought if you had a licence after 97 the most you could tow was 3.5t. So the max weight of the car and caravan combined had to be under 3.5t. But that’s no longer the case… Handy when the gross weight of a Y is nearly 2.5t.
Model Y is around 1930 kg, i have a class 1 anyway so weight is irrelevant to me.

Model Y is around 1930 kg, i have a class 1 anyway so weight is irrelevant to me.
It’s the gross weight that used to matter so much. So the max weight of the car fully loaded. The payload on a Y is huge.

So for ‘normal’ licenses, your car and caravan had to be under 3.5t. That’s the fully loaded max weight of car and fully loaded max weight of the caravan, regardless of how much stuff you actually have in it. The Y’s gross weight never left much over for a caravan.

It’s the gross weight that used to matter so much. So the max weight of the car fully loaded. The payload on a Y is huge.

So for ‘normal’ licenses, your car and caravan had to be under 3.5t. That’s the fully loaded max weight of car and fully loaded max weight of the caravan, regardless of how much stuff you actually have in it. The Y’s gross weight never left much over for a caravan.
I know about the 3.5t rules, you can go over it but then you need an O licence and a tacho lol

The above seems to contradict what Gov.uk says:

If you got your licence before 1 January 1997​

You can usually drive a vehicle and trailer with a combined weight of up to 8,250kg MAM. View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

If you got your licence from 1 January 1997​

You can tow a trailer that weighs up to 3,500kg MAM.

So before 1997 a combined weight of 8.25t, after 1997, the trailer itself can weigh up to 3.5t. The car can also weigh up to 3.5t so the combined can be up to 7t. You can’t exceed the rated towing weight of the tow car which is usually way less than 3.5t in most cases anyway.

If it was a combined 3.5t for the vehicle and trailer, it would say so above.

Until a year or so ago, for a licence after 97 it was a combined max weight of 3.5t. This must of changed as above
All UK B licence holders were given B+E entitlement in November 2022. Purpose was to make it easier for people to obtain HGV licences as it removes one of the steps required. Benefit to us towers with post-97 licences was just a Brucey bonus.

Reactions: UrbanSplash
and I'm here, in my thoughts, trying to understand the reason of caravanning :/
I agree but with 3 kids its a cheap option to getting away a bit more, 5 flights anywhere is costly these days particularly at high demand times. As someone else mentioned it's cheaper per night so if you compare a Haven static holiday with a tourer what you could lose in depreciation is offset in savings per night. Admittedly you do have to tow and set it up but it's not too bad. I've used mine to go to London too effectively a cheap hotel room then for somewhere your just going to sleep.