Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CCS adapter activated in North America with 2021.40.6 software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an addendum to my comments about part numbers. I had ordered the 1537264-00-B gen 4 board and my local Tesla service center offered to install it and do the necessary firmware updates. They could not get the component working and said it would only charge briefly and then stop. They believe it is not compatible (at least for now) with my car (mid 2019 M3 LR RWD). If someone else wants to try the gen 3 board on that vintage of car instead of the gen 4 board like I did, Iā€™d be curious to hear the findings, but I think my adventures may be over until the adapter + retrofit is officially offered.

In conclusion: if you have pre 2020 car, Iā€™d highly recommend not installing the gen 4 board yet, I hope this information is helpful to others looking to upgrade their charging board, jury is still out on the gen3 board upgrade.

Tying threads together. I'm working on the DIY approach myself, and ran into the same issue as @danlatlanl above. Here's that thread:

Prognosis so far isn't great. Just discovered today that there are differences in which pins are populated, and there also appears to be at least two different revisions of the entire charge port assembly in the car. This worries me, a fair bit.

When I had the Gen4 installed, I had "CCS adapter support: enabled" in the additional info display... but I also had a mess of charge port faults. In particular, CP_a009_coverOpen (described as "position not detected, can't be determined if closed") and CP_a109_thermistorIrrational (described as basically "there's a missing thermistor so can't determine port temperature"). Makes sense if the ECU has physically different pins populated, and a wire present in the connector lands on nothing, and a pin on the ECU goes to no wire.

Huge bummer, but this may be why the CCS adapter hasn't come to NA yet -- cars in the target Korean market are all >2020, so they all have the Gen4 and new harness already, no need for any ECU swaps for supported cars. For us, they may still be developing the retrofit so they can offer it all together. Hopefully that's the case.

For me, though: oh well, it was a $150 ECU and I can easily toss it on eBay and sell it in minutes. šŸ˜…

Reactions: kayak1