Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Certified body shop can't resolve regen vibration/noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was hit from the side at the rear wheel. It's been in a Tesla Certified body shop for over 3 months for repair. The body shop kept discovering more hidden damages over the course of the repair so there's about 7 supplemental parts orders so far. When I first got the car back I noticed there's a vibration/noise mostly when the car is regen braking so I took it back to the body shop. They then replaced the axle, hub as well as the wiring harness to the rear drive unit but that didn't resolve the issue. Now they want to replace the rear drive unit but they want to bring the car to a Tesla Service center for diagnosis before committing to replace the rear drive unit. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Is it common that body shop would need to take the car to the service center for diagnosis? They asked me to schedule an appointment with my phone since they have no way of making an appointment.

A "certified" shop is mostly certified by Tesla to meet minimum collision repair and safety standards. For hidden or unknown mechanical damage on a brand they don't specialize in only repairing getting another more knowledgeable opinion seems reasonable to me. In some ways I'm impressed. So I'd be inclined to do it.

However, the issue you are going to have is that Tesla is going to charge you for the diagnostic time. It's not warranty work and they rightly need to get paid. So you need to work out with the collision shop how you will be reimbursed by taking the car to Tesla.

Upvote 0
A "certified" shop is mostly certified by Tesla to meet minimum collision repair and safety standards. For hidden or unknown mechanical damage on a brand they don't specialize in only repairing getting another more knowledgeable opinion seems reasonable to me. In some ways I'm impressed. So I'd be inclined to do it.

However, the issue you are going to have is that Tesla is going to charge you for the diagnostic time. It's not warranty work and they rightly need to get paid. So you need to work out with the collision shop how you will be reimbursed by taking the car to Tesla.
Thanks for chiming in. The payment arrangement is that the body shop will pay Tesla, then my insurance will reimburse the body shop.

Upvote 0