Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CHAdeMO adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my Tesla CHAdeMO adapter from the Tesla store and tried it out this afternoon. It's rated for up to 50 kw and it charged at 46kw. It took 31 minutes to go from 55% to 83% and it put back 86 miles on the car. All in all, I am happy with the results and it's a good addition to be able to charge relatively quickly in areas where there are no Tesla Superchargers.

I just received my Tesla CHAdeMO adapter from the Tesla store and tried it out this afternoon. It's rated for up to 50 kw and it charged at 46kw. It took 31 minutes to go from 55% to 83% and it put back 86 miles on the car. All in all, I am happy with the results and it's a good addition to be able to charge relatively quickly in areas where there are no Tesla Superchargers.
Congrats on getttjng yours! I ordered mine as soon as they got back in stock and haven’t even gotten tracking info yet.

Reactions: Gadget63
Can someone explain this network ? Is this the competing network to supercharger ? Are they all same and this 1 adapter will suit all of these stations ? I live in southeast and not many sc stations near me. Spend a lot of time between Atlanta and Chattanooga and also western nc.

I’ve used my CHADEmo adapter a few times. It’s a lot slower than a supercharger only 50 KW but some of the chargers are in more convenient locations.

To answer the above question, yes it’s a competitor to supercharging network, but not as good. Sometimes it’s nice to have options.

Can someone explain this network ? Is this the competing network to supercharger ? Are they all same and this 1 adapter will suit all of these stations ? I live in southeast and not many sc stations near me. Spend a lot of time between Atlanta and Chattanooga and also western nc.
The CHAdeMo adapter is about 2.5 times slower than a Tesla Supercharger (usually) but it gives you another option for charging. Once the Tesla CCS charger adapter comes available, that will bring it on par with most Tesla Superchargers, but the price is roughly 600 or more for it.

The CHAdeMo adapter is about 2.5 times slower than a Tesla Supercharger (usually) but it gives you another option for charging. Once the Tesla CCS charger adapter comes available, that will bring it on par with most Tesla Superchargers, but the price is roughly 600 or more for it.
There's no indication that the CCS adapter will be $600 or more OR that it will charge nearly as fast as superchargers. Right now third party CCS adapters only hit about 70kW... it'll be nice if Tesla can do better, but I'm not seriously expecting more than maybe 100 to 120kW (though will love if it's 150+).

I also think the price point could be as low as $200 to $250 if it's just the adapter and cars already have the hardware.

Nothing has been announced yet though

Reactions: cwerdna
That is encouraging. Ordered mine on July 5. Still waiting for the tracking number. Email inquiries get no response. Seems like they are selling them before they have them in hand.
... over 3 weeks later, and I've received the adapter (July 28). Why should it take so long? Oh well, I'm happy to get it. This should give me a lot more flexibility while towing my trailer on minor highways.

All in all, I am happy with the results and it's a good addition to be able to charge relatively quickly in areas where there are no Tesla Superchargers.
I bought my Tesla chademo adapter when they first came out. I tested it on EVGo and confirmed it works. It did begin charging my M S at 48KW and then tapered down to 20KW in 30 minutes. EVGo has a maximum time of 30 minutes. So, I concluded it might give me enough added miles to reach the next Supercharger on a remote road trip.

Now we go to today after Tesla has added considerably more locations in North America. I test road trips on ABetterRoutePlanner and set it for Chademo and Supercharger stops. It turns out that I could find nowhere in the nation and lower Canada and Mexico that I needed a Chademo to reach the next Supercharger with the range on my M S. There are locations that to make a gap in the route plan I had to go out of my way for 35 miles but any gap in the route where there were no Superchargers, there were also no CCS or Chademo.

Now we do the same thing with a Model 3 Performance that has less range than my M S. Oklahoma has a route that to travel to certain cities require a boost with a chademo to bridge the route to the next Supercharger. I have a friends who still uses one as he has to make that route on his weekly business travels. There may be more. locations. I believe EV Dave found one in WV or Kentucky where they use the Chademo adapter.

I'll keep in with my other mobile charger adapters but knowing what I know today, I would not waste money on either a CCS or Chademo adapter.

Regarding Nissan: They tell me they are not discontinuing Dealer Chademo as they have too many older Leafs in the area. They are just adding CCS1 for the new Ariya. Locally they already made the addition. We got rid of our Leaf right after they put the new CCS charger in at my old Nissan Dealer.

I bought my Tesla chademo adapter when they first came out. I tested it on EVGo and confirmed it works. It did begin charging my M S at 48KW and then tapered down to 20KW in 30 minutes. EVGo has a maximum time of 30 minutes. So, I concluded it might give me enough added miles to reach the next Supercharger on a remote road trip.

The session limits seem to be longer now. See EV Charging Costs: Pricing and Plan for EV Charging. Also, just because you hit the session limit doesn't mean you can't start another. I've done it many times on EVgo.

Chademo Association – EV Fast Charging Organisation was in operation before Tesla even introduced their Superchargers.

Check Plugshare app or web site. Filter by CHAdeMO to see how much it might help. Do look at Plugshare scores and recent check-ins to see if stations you care about are reliable.

Some Tesla Supercharger sites are only the urban style (72 kW) max like these:

Despite the CHAdeMO adapter maxing out at 50 kW, that's still much faster than charging any Model 3 or Y or any current sold Tesla over J1772 or Tesla wall connector. Tesla OBCs for the US max out at 48 amps (Onboard Charger) and have been like that on new vehicles they've been selling/leasing for years. You'll get 11.5 kW at best on a 48 amp J1772 EVSE (extremely rare in public, most max out at 30 amps and often run at 208 volts --> ~6.2 kW max) or 48+ amp capable Tesla wall connector if at 240 volts.

Last edited:
Never got mine, finally someone responded to my email complaint. Said, unfortunately it never shipped and they are out of stock now! Wanted to know if I wanted a refund or wait until more arrive. Bottom line is it is possible to purchase through Tesla and not get what you ordered.