Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charger Installation Material in Garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I would greatly appreciate some advice regarding the installation of a Tesla charger in my garage.

The installation would require running conduit from the 200A panel in an unfinished basement, along the ceiling, and then drilling a hole from the basement through concrete/cinder block to get to the garage on the other side of the wall, and then running the conduit along the cinder block surface of the garage to the installation location.

I obtained 3 quotes and each of the 3 is quoting different materials. Since they are all ESA certified (companies listed on the Tesla site or ones other forum users have used) I presume that they all are compliant with code and I should get the ESA certification, but I don't know which is a better install.

1. Using 6/3 NMD, with 1 inch PVC, LB and T90s. Approx $1650
2. Using 6/3 BX, a 240v disconnect, and straps. Approx $1350
3. Using #6 NMD in basement, and then with EMT along wall to charger. Approx $1800

All costs include permit/ESA inspection.

I don't know much about the differences (learning by Googling right now). I would appreciate any guidance/advice in one particular installation material is better, and if it is worth it given the price difference (i.e. is using EMT over BX worth $450 difference?)

Thank you in advance,

edyee

The EMT would be my preferred solution, although price might be a bit high. Materials are around $450-$500 (for a ~25 meter run), labour about 6-7 hours for experience person, probably about 10 for someone who isn't, but still has the tools (not counting getting parts), and assuming some drilling through joists.

(If you look through some of my posts, I have links to what I did, and my parts list).

The EMT would be my preferred solution, although price might be a bit high. Materials are around $450-$500 (for a ~25 meter run), labour about 6-7 hours for experience person, probably about 10 for someone who isn't, but still has the tools (not counting getting parts), and assuming some drilling through joists.

(If you look through some of my posts, I have links to what I did, and my parts list).

I find BX ugly, and messy personally. PVC is fine, but is chemically bonded to connect, so must be moslty thrown away to modify.

In general, they all sound like they comply with code, although if you are going with a 60A breaker, you will also need a disconnect box in the garage (cost $20).

Last edited:
I should have indicated that all the prices I listed includes taxes as well.

It is about a 40 foot run.
Well I can tell you that for a similar run through my finished basement it cost me less than your first quote. Finished in the garage through PVC conduit. Same gauge wire, etc. I paid 1100 + tax. YMMV but may be worth getting some more quotes.

One big difference could be if they have to drill through joists in the basement to mechanically protect the cable.

Unless in conduit, or BX, it cannot be stapled to the bottom of joists unless adjacent to something 'big' (e.g. steel girder).

Drilling joists is slow and annoying, although most electricians will whip through it with the right tools, but sometimes a messier job.

That might be a factor in the pricing.

My 25m Teck 90 6/3 run was about $750 by a contractor. This was just the wire run and CB. I don’t mind the look.

727013BB-0B07-469F-B8B9-824AB51A3907.jpeg B4E40DC6-D2C4-4C62-9199-EB2D2A96A251.jpeg D99F7850-D687-4810-A9C4-0EF9EBC7ECD4.jpeg

Reactions: edyee
Mine came to 1458 taxes in. Got it done by Duquette electric from Rockland.
I can send you a pic if you like. Basement panel is directly behind the garage which would make it closer I think.

Thank you for the offer! Though I don't think Duquette would come to where I am. I live north of the Greater Toronto Area, and I just emailed STS (who johndorian used) to see if cover my area.

Reactions: johndorian
One big difference could be if they have to drill through joists in the basement to mechanically protect the cable.

Unless in conduit, or BX, it cannot be stapled to the bottom of joists unless adjacent to something 'big' (e.g. steel girder).

Drilling joists is slow and annoying, although most electricians will whip through it with the right tools, but sometimes a messier job.

That might be a factor in the pricing.

Thanks rdturner0. It is an unfinished basement and there is existing NMD going through holes through joists already, so I just presume that they would just go through the existing holes.

Thanks rdturner0. It is an unfinished basement and there is existing NMD going through holes through joists already, so I just presume that they would just go through the existing holes.

They cannot run it through the same hole. Must be at least 30 mm (can't remember the number from sure) away from parallel conductors due to thermal reasons.

(I could dig up the code reference, but busy with something else right now...)

They cannot run it through the same hole. Must be at least 30 mm (can't remember the number from sure) away from parallel conductors due to thermal reasons.

(I could dig up the code reference, but busy with something else right now...)
Is there anything preventing me from asking my installer to run a line of cat6 cable with the Tek 6/3 wire he is planning to run?

I'm getting about 125 feet (37 -38 meters) of Teck 6 cable. My uncle said he's installed many stove outlets in small basements and this shouldn't be any different except for a much longer cable that will have to go from a basement to a detached garage.