Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Charging Adapter for different EV car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I’m looking to get a BMW hybrid plug-in in addition to the model Y that I have on the way. I will be getting a 240v 30a outlet installed in my garage and use the NEMA 14-30 adapter and Tesla stock charging cable to charge the Y.

I know there are some adapters available on Amazon that converts the Tesla charging plug to fit other EV vehicles. I’m wondering if this is my best option to charge the BMW hybrid. My biggest concern is the risk of damaging the Tesla charger and in turn risk damaging the Tesla Y. The BMW will be a lease but I will own the Model Y so really want to protect the Y.

Alternatively I can buy a separate NEMA 14-30 compatible charger to fit the BMW plug-in and switch the chargers out depending which car is in the garage. Since the hybrid gets much fewer miles for the battery and that will be my work commuter, I’m thinking it will be plugged in more often.

I know those are the two options but wanted to see which people thought was best and safest. Thank you!!!

Your risk of damaging either is very low; what connector does the BMW have? I would recommend getting a ‘generic’ charging unit and using the J1772 adapter for your Tesla. I have a Clipper Creek that I got as part of my electric utility’s off-peak charging program and it’s been flawless for me. The only ‘problem’ is it doesn’t have the nifty button on the handle to open the charge door, so if the car’s sleeping I need to take two steps to the left to open the rear door and wake it up. Life’s tough!

They do make Tesla -> J1771 adapters but they‘re quite expensive.

your other option is to have two systems on the same circuit - you just need to make sure you don‘t use both at once. I’d also note that most high-current receptacles are not designed for repeated use and if you continually swap out charging cables you may run into issues.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
You can leave the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector in your Model Y for trips. You can install a Chargepoint, ClipperCreek, Juicebox or other EVSE equipped with an SAE J1772 charging connector. Every Tesla vehicle comes with a Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter so you can charge your Model Y and your BMW hybrid (not at the same time.) Using the J1772 adapter is better than repeatedly plugging in the Tesla Mobile Connector and then the BMW EVSE.

This is the Tesla SAE J1772 charging adapter that comes with the Tesla Model Y (in case you want to purchase a spare.)

SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

It's not that expensive considering a full on setup is going to cost $500 ish versus just $150ish for the adapter.

I'd just get the adapter if going cheap as possible (plus I really like the charge door open button on the mobile charger) or get a whole new charging setup like jcanoe suggested and use that instead with the tesla adapter.

IMO what @jcanoe said above is the best option. I have a ClipperCreek in my garage that I use for my Tesla with the supplied adapter.
By the way, NEMA 14-50 (50 amp breaker) is more common and can supply up to 40 amps. The only extra cost would be the larger diameter wire which shouldn't be that much.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Are you saying that if I have a generic J1772 charger that fits MOST US EV cars, the Tesla comes with the adapter to use that charger?

Is there any benefit to installing a wall charger vs just a second mobile charger/cable that plugs into my 240V receptacle? Is a wall charger like you're suggesting specially installed and wired, or is it just a mounted box that would plug into the 240v receptacle?

Thanks for the tips guys.

Are you saying that if I have a generic J1772 charger that fits MOST US EV cars, the Tesla comes with the adapter to use that charger?

Is there any benefit to installing a wall charger vs just a second mobile charger/cable that plugs into my 240V receptacle? Is a wall charger like you're suggesting specially installed and wired, or is it just a mounted box that would plug into the 240v receptacle?
First, the charger is actually in your car not the wall or the brick/mobile charger. It's called a charger just for semantics. The mobile charger or the wall charger merely delivers electricity to the car. The car decides how much it can safely draw given the amperage of teh circuit.

A wall charger like the Tesla high powered ones allow a higher amperage as the mobile charger bundled with your car is limited to 32amp. Thus it is about how fast you need or want to charge. 30a is fine for most cases as you would never be doing a 0-100% charge anyways so for daily its just for topping up.

Yea if you got a generic charger for J1772, then you can use the bundled Tesla J1772 adapter with it.

Reactions: sleepydoc
First, the charger is actually in your car not the wall or the brick/mobile charger. It's called a charger just for semantics. The mobile charger or the wall charger merely delivers electricity to the car. The car decides how much it can safely draw given the amperage of teh circuit.

A wall charger like the Tesla high powered ones allow a higher amperage as the mobile charger bundled with your car is limited to 32amp. Thus it is about how fast you need or want to charge. 30a is fine for most cases as you would never be doing a 0-100% charge anyways so for daily its just for topping up.

Yea if you got a generic charger for J1772, then you can use the bundled Tesla J1772 adapter with it.
Thank you!

Is a wall charger typically hard-wired, or just essentially mounted box/brick that plugs into the 240v 30a outlet? I'm wondering if there is any benefit to a wall charger vs. just a "mobile" generic j1772 cable charger that I leave plugged in.

Thank you!

Is a wall charger typically hard-wired, or just essentially mounted box/brick that plugs into the 240v 30a outlet? I'm wondering if there is any benefit to a wall charger vs. just a "mobile" generic j1772 cable charger that I leave plugged in.
Yea the Tesla wall charger is hard wired. The HPWC can deliver a crap ton more power but it becomes a fixed part of your house, more or less a fixture. And of course it's gonna be a lot more expensive due to one having to buy a HWPC $550, then getting it wired up. The wiring portion is basically same cost as a 30a-50a circuit and socket.

Thank you!

The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector (the product name) is designed to be hard wired into the circuit and does not come with a plug. The current Gen3 Wall Connector has advantages over the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector.

1) Can enable faster charging of a Tesla vehicle when used on a 50A or 60A circuit than the Gen2 Mobile Connector. When used on a 50A circuit the Gen2 Mobile Connector is able to charge at up to 32A versus 40A for the Gen3 Wall Connector (25% faster charging)
2) Now comes with a 24 foot charging cord. In comparison, the charging cord on the Gen2 Mobile Connector is 18.5 feet in length.
3) Is rated for in all weather conditions
4) Supports automatic load balancing (up to 4 Gen3 Wall Connectors can share a circuit.)
5) Can restrict charging to specific Tesla vehicles (identified by VIN)

I think you can get them either way. Local code may require hard wiring, especially if it's exposed. If it's in a garage, most people plug them in. That way, you can take it with you if you travel or move to another house.

The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector neither comes with a power plug connection or instructions from the manufacturer for adding a power plug to the Gen3 Wall Connector. You can add a power plug to the Gen3 Wall Connector but this would not be code compliant.

If you want to use a power plug the Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector can be fitted with a range of power plug adapters.

The Grizzl-E Classic (40A) is a non-Tesla Level 2 EVSE that can be hard wired or fitted with a power plug. The manufacturer provides instructions for hard wire installation or fitting a power plug.

Home products – GRIZZL-E

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
If
Your risk of damaging either is very low; what connector does the BMW have? I would recommend getting a ‘generic’ charging unit and using the J1772 adapter for your Tesla. I have a Clipper Creek that I got as part of my electric utility’s off-peak charging program and it’s been flawless for me. The only ‘problem’ is it doesn’t have the nifty button on the handle to open the charge door, so if the car’s sleeping I need to take two steps to the left to open the rear door and wake it up. Life’s tough!

your other option is to have two systems on the same circuit - you just need to make sure you don‘t use both at once. I’d also note that most high-current receptacles are not designed for repeated use and if you continually swap out charging cables you may run into issues.
Not sure what you mean by two systems on the same circuit. If you mean a nema 14-50 plug that you switch plugged in charger that would work. Or an approved transfer switch that only allows one device/outlet to be powered at a time and locks out the other.

If you mean hard wire two units or two 14-50 outlets or one of each no that is not allowed. All of those need a dedicated circuit per NEC.

IMO what @jcanoe said above is the best option. I have a ClipperCreek in my garage that I use for my Tesla with the supplied adapter.
By the way, NEMA 14-50 (50 amp breaker) is more common and can supply up to 40 amps. The only extra cost would be the larger diameter wire which shouldn't be that much.
I wish I could do a 50a but my panel can't handle it and upgrading my electrical service for more total amps is not an option. So the electrician recommended 30a total with a NEMA 14-30 adapter, which I think will give me 24A charging on the Tesla. I gave it some thought and it seems to be the best option for me. I'm not opposed to a plug-in wall charger that fits the same criteria (NEMA 14-30).

Not sure what you mean by two systems on the same circuit. If you mean a nema 14-50 plug that you switch plugged in charger that would work. Or an approved transfer switch that only allows one device/outlet to be powered at a time and locks out the other.

If you mean hard wire two units or two 14-50 outlets or one of each no that is not allowed. All of those need a dedicated circuit per NEC.
I was referring to having both an outlet and a hardwired charger on the same circuit, but you‘re right, they disallowed that in the 2020 NEC for some reason. It completely negates the benefit of having Tesla wall connectors that can load balance and forces the homeowner to pay for extra wiring to charge more than one car. The way around it that I can see would be to run wire to a subpanel in the garage, then run two circuits off the subpanel.

I think technically you may be able to install a branch circuit with 2 receptacles by saying it was for welding equipment; it depends whether the inspector buys it or not.

Another advantage of hardwiring the equipment is that EV charging circuits are required to have GFCI protection. Hardwired chargers satisfy this by having the GFCI protection built in, saving $100+ on a GFCI breaker.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I wish I could do a 50a but my panel can't handle it and upgrading my electrical service for more total amps is not an option. So the electrician recommended 30a total with a NEMA 14-30 adapter, which I think will give me 24A charging on the Tesla. I gave it some thought and it seems to be the best option for me. I'm not opposed to a plug-in wall charger that fits the same criteria (NEMA 14-30).
I always recommend ClipperCreek EVSE products. ClipperCreek has been manufacturing electric vehicle charging equipment since the original Tesla Roadster was introduced. Made in the US, full 3 year warranty. The ClipperCreek EVSE costs more than other 30A rated (enables charging at up to 24A) charging equipment but does not cut corners.

24A Level 2 EVSE LCS-30P with NEMA 14-30 | ClipperCreek