Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see Tesla’s J1772 adapter is only able to provide ~19kW charging speeds. Is there a 3rd party adapter that will provide better charging speeds? I’m just looking for more diverse options in the event there is lack of supercharger during a trip.

Given you list your location as the USA and posting in the Model Y forum - I assume the Chademo adaptor is the best bet for you. Up to 50 kW.

They're fairly expensive, but sometimes regional Tesla Owners Clubs (if you're a member) have them for loaning out.

Reactions: Zer0t
Your Model Y is capped at 11 kW by the onboard charger, not the J1772 adapter.

I suggest:

1) UMC (OEM EVSE that came with your car) with 14-50, 14-30 pigtails. These are used at campgrounds when there is no EV support in the area. The UMC is capped at 32 amps out of 48 (8kW). With the 14-30 it's capped at 24 amp (6kW).

2) CHAdeMO adapter. There are more CHAdeMO locations by 3:1 than Tesla SC locations. You are capped at 50kW AFAIK.

I suggest:

1) UMC (OEM EVSE that came with your car) with 14-50, 14-30 pigtails. These are used at campgrounds when there is no EV support in the area. The UMC is capped at 32 amps out of 48 (8kW). With the 14-30 it's capped at 24 amp (6kW).

2) CHAdeMO adapter. There are more CHAdeMO locations by 3:1 than Tesla SC locations. You are capped at 50kW AFAIK.
50kW is a lot better than 11kW and probably worth the price of mind for the investment. I thought I read 19kW on the J1772 plug but could be wrong. I will have to review the limitations on my raven S as well.

50kW is a lot better than 11kW and probably worth the price of mind for the investment. I thought I read 19kW on the J1772 plug but could be wrong. I will have to review the limitations on my raven S as well.

The AC>DC charging inverter in your Model Y is 48 amps peak (11 kW). This is the same as the Ravens.

The 14-50 + 14-30 pigtails for your existing portable EVSE allows you to use RV hookups which outnumber all DCFC sites in North America with the widest coverage as well.

Definitions:

Onboard charger - This is on all automotive EVs and PHEVs. It converts AC current to DC to charge the battery.
Portable EVSE (aka UMC for Tesla) - This is the "charging cable" that came with your car. All it does is allow the AC current to flow to the Onboard Charger.

There is a faster Portable EVSE made by Tesla that will go up to 40 amps:

Corded Mobile Connector

This has a speed advantage but is still more of an 'overnight' solution. Even your existing UMC is a suitable overnight solution though.

• Informative
Reactions: Dennisis and Zer0t

I suggest:

1) UMC (OEM EVSE that came with your car) with 14-50, 14-30 pigtails. These are used at campgrounds when there is no EV support in the area. The UMC is capped at 32 amps out of 48 (8kW). With the 14-30 it's capped at 24 amp (6kW)...

Being pedantic as I am, RV campground "30 amp" receptacles are TT-30, not 14-30. A TT-30 is a "Travel Trailer" receptacle rated at 30 amps@120V.

Unfortunately Tesla does not sell a UMC adapter for TT-30. However evseadapters does. It even sets the correct max amperage to 24 amps.

Reactions: kayak1
I see Tesla’s J1772 adapter is only able to provide ~19kW charging speeds. Is there a 3rd party adapter that will provide better charging speeds? I’m just looking for more diverse options in the event there is lack of supercharger during a trip.

With J1772, you are limited by the lesser of either the on-board charger or the charging station itself.

Some older Model S had a dual 10 kW on-board charger option that could charge at nearly 20 kW (80 amps at 240V). Likewise, some later Model S and Model X had a 72 amp option - however this is no longer offered. The current Model S, X, and Model 3/Y Long Range cars all have 48 amp chargers. So 240x48=11.5 kW max.

It seems like an awful lot of public J1772 charging stations are 32 amp, 208 volt units - constraining charging to about 6 kW. It is actually somewhat rare to find them with higher power. Look up the reviews for a site in plugshare. Plugshare users will often log the power level the charging station is capable of providing. "Destination charging" sites with Tesla Wall Chargers often provide a full 48 amps.

As mentioned by @MXLRplus, the CHAdeMO adapter is available for DC fast charging at up to nearly 50 kW rates. For top rated speed, the CHAdeMO charger should be rated at 125 amps or higher - as that is the limit for the adapter. Not all CHAdeMOs can deliver 125 amps. A number of them max out at 100 amps or even less. Again, plugshare users will often document what the capabilities of particular stations are.

• Informative
Reactions: Zer0t
I live in an apartment and charge using my 10-50 stove outlet and a massive 50' RV extension cord (6 gauge). I built a whole eco system around 14-50. The extension cord is 14-50 to 14-50. I have adapters to 14-50 from (10-50, 10-30, TT-30, 14-30) as well as s 14-50 plug for the UMCs. These individual adapters were a lot cheaper than the tesla set, plus I think my setup is more versatile, though so far I have only used the 10-50.