Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla charging in the South West (North Somerset & Devon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I'm sold on the idea of my next car being a Tesla Model 3 and on the verge of pressing the order button!

I do however have a concern which is holding me back.

I live in an urban area where charging both at home and while out and about will be quite easy. This means that a Standard Range Plus would suit all of my needs.

My problem is that I holiday in northern Somerset every year for at least 3-6 weeks in a static caravan where I cannot install a charge point, so I will be restricted to using a 13A plug to charge while I am there. I have looked on the various maps available which show the location of chargers but there seem to be virtually none across the whole of Somerset and Devon which will not be at least a 30 mile round trip from my caravan.

I understand that a 13A plug will only give me about 6-7 miles per hour on charge, so an overnight charge will not give me enough range to travel around to the many beautiful areas that we usually head off to, as there are no charge points en-route.

Anyone here a Tesla owner in South West England who can alleviate my fears on the availability of charge points? I really don't want to have to spend another 10K on the long range option when it will only be useful for 6 weeks of the year!

Many thanks!

Reactions: OfficialMark_H
I understand that a 13A plug will only give me about 6-7 miles per hour on charge, so an overnight charge will not give me enough range to travel around to the many beautiful areas that we usually head off to, as there are no charge points en-route.

If you can't go commando :oops:, 10A via 13A plug gives us around 40% charge overnight (around 6pm - 7:30am). Thats on a LR, so will be more on a SR, or less if you use the car later into the evening, more for a late getaway. Probably around the 100/120 mile mark - a useful amount. I just wish we had access to 13A where we stay on south coast.

Reactions: .jg.
Many caravan parks have 16 A commando connectors available. Although not ideal, the 16 A commando adapter on the supplied UMC does allow the car to charge at 16 A, rather than the 10 A that is the maximum from the 13 A lead.

That would be the best outcome if available. I have read recent reports that indicate the 16A commando adapter for the UMC is no longer included as standard ... though it's not expensive even if you have to buy it (I bought the 32A adapter as an extra and it cost £32 so I am guessing the 16A will be similar).

Depending on the pattern of use, even with 10A charging, unless arriving back to the caravan late and leaving early on trips there will probably be time to put 100 miles plus into the battery. With 16A it would be a breeze.

Just keep it plugged in all the time when you’re at the caravan, either 13A or commando, and I’d guess you’ll have plenty of range for pottering about.

I did the same in France recently, even though there were Superchargers nearby, purely for convenience, and found I was easily adding 70-80 miles each night.

One other thing - if you do pull the trigger on your order, if you haven’t already got someone’s Tesla referral code to use, send me a DM. Using a code will get us both 1000 miles of free Supercharging.

• Funny
Reactions: *Adam and davidmc
Try zap map. On the app you can filter for different charger types and speeds to cut out some clutter. There’s a few around the area that might be useful for you: Exmoor White Horse Inn has Tesla destination chargers for example. Could get a decent charge whilst having a meal. Morrison’s Bridgewater has a 50kw CCS charger on Geniepoint if you had to get supplies.

Seriously Roy, you got mucked around by Tesla and through no fault of your own, you didn't get your referral miles you deserved added. So hopefully someone will make amends for that.

We, like others, suffered the same day 1 ordering Tesla oversight as yourself, but we have been fortunate and got a few referral miles via other means. Not worth a huge amount, but nice to have in your loot box when you need them.

Reactions: Roy W.
Just keep it plugged in all the time when you’re at the caravan, either 13A or commando, and I’d guess you’ll have plenty of range for pottering about.

I did the same in France recently, even though there were Superchargers nearby, purely for convenience, and found I was easily adding 70-80 miles each night.

One other thing - if you do pull the trigger on your order, if you haven’t already got someone’s Tesla referral code to use, send me a DM. Using a code will get us both 1000 miles of free Supercharging.

If you want to DM me then i have a much newer and shinier code :D

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
Many thanks for all of your helpful responses, knowing I can top up by 70-80 miles at least overnight on 13A is probably enough, I can ask the site if I can use one of their 16A power points, they may be accommodating.

I think the adrenalin buzz of not knowing where I'll be sleeping every night due to lack of west country chargers may be quite a thrill :)

If/when I pull he trigger on my order, I'll put all of your names in a hat and draw one out for the super charging bonus ;-)

Great forum!

Many thanks for all of your helpful responses, knowing I can top up by 70-80 miles at least overnight on 13A is probably enough, I can ask the site if I can use one of their 16A power points, they may be accommodating.

I think the adrenalin buzz of not knowing where I'll be sleeping every night due to lack of west country chargers may be quite a thrill :)

If/when I pull he trigger on my order, I'll put all of your names in a hat and draw one out for the super charging bonus ;-)

Great forum!
There have been a bunch of rapid chargers appear last year, Geniepoints in Morrisons and Podpoint in Tescos. When you start looking its surprising how many are available and are increasingly reliable.

I can ask the site if I can use one of their 16A power points, they may be accommodating.

Am not sure you will even need that if you have 3 pin charging. EVs work great on holiday if you have 3 pin charging. Unless you're literally out of the door at 8am sharp and never back after 10pm a 3 pin is fine.

Late breakfast, leave the accommodation at 10-11am, back by afternoon for a rest, than out for some dinner, than back for some shut eye. Your likely find the car will be charged with no issues on a 3 pin.

Simply plugin when ever you are at the accommodation. I really love taking our EVs on holiday, its a great feeling not having to worry about fuel costs.

35694347754_15f4705de3_c_d.jpg

Reactions: Jez_GB