Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla China Now Offering Power Trunk Retrofits on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PauliePucks

3rd Party Accessory Junkie
Oct 29, 2021
NJ
Just saw this article linked on reddit...looks like tesla is retrofitting power trunks on MIC M3s. All model years are supported,

Wondering if they'll bring this program to the US sooner than later, I am in the market for one (leaning towards evoffer, but they're backordered)

The direct integration and 3 year warranty from tesla for $628 installed is a no-brainer for me.

Fingers crossed for this and heated steering wheel retrofits soon!

Reactions: dcesq06
Would be all over this if it offered one of those kick activation switches.... but without that (and AFAIK Tesla does not have that) I don't get what this does for you other than provide more parts to eventually fail.

If you need a hand free to open the trunk that hand can just as easily raise the lid (or close it).

Would be all over this if it offered one of those kick activation switches.... but without that (and AFAIK Tesla does not have that) I don't get what this does for you other than provide more parts to eventually fail.

If you need a hand free to open the trunk that hand can just as easily raise the lid (or close it).
I have had many instances in my driveway where being able to not have to physically close my trunk (stroller in hand, sleeping kids, work bags, etc) where if given the option to close my trunk from my app or fob would be very ideal. Parts are going to fail regardless of whether I go with EVOffer, Hansshow or Tesla. I just have more piece of mind with an OEM install given all the potential issues that arise with the aftermarket kits

I guess I don't understand how you don't have a hand to close the trunk, but do have a hand to operate your phone/app?

The kick switches I get- those are awesome because you can open or close it with your hands entirely full.... but if I have to use a hand either way I'm just not seeing the difference between using it to swing the lid open/closed versus using the hand to press a button on my phone to do it.

FWIW I 1000% agree on going OEM if they offer it here, just trying to figure out if/when it'd ever be useful to me... I've had cars and rentals with "power" trunks but can't recall ever getting any benefit from it vs manual without that kick opening thingy (that I've only had on a rental once or twice)

I guess I don't understand how you don't have a hand to close the trunk, but do have a hand to operate your phone/app?

The kick switches I get- those are awesome because you can open or close it with your hands entirely full.... but if I have to use a hand either way I'm just not seeing the difference between using it to swing the lid open/closed versus using the hand to press a button on my phone to do it.

FWIW I 1000% agree on going OEM if they offer it here, just trying to figure out if/when it'd ever be useful to me... I've had cars and rentals with "power" trunks but can't recall ever getting any benefit from it vs manual without that kick opening thingy (that I've only had on a rental once or twice)
If I’m home and have the kids and their accoutrements (strollers, hockey bags, etc.) I can shut the trunk from my phone once I’m in the house, via Siri, via my watch, fob or phone.

Should have mentioned I have the spring loaded struts for easy open, but those things are a pain to shut with one hand also.

And NO MORE HAND PRINTS on the trunk lol

It will likely never happen here or in Europe. The pre auto-trunk cars are in Teslas rear-view mirror, soon to be followed by HWv3/Atom and Ryzen USS or USS-less pre-facelift cars.

Part of the reason auto-trunk was added has to do less with customer demand, convenience and more to do with 3/Y tailight manufacturing issues (stress cracks, water intrusion, etc).

A controlled actuated soft-close helps to prevent tailight damage whioe under warranty... they still fail but less often and later in use - once out of warranty and the customer's problem and dime. Thanks Tesla.