Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Cold Weather testing facility in Alaska by CNET: I’m moving back to Canada!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

e-FTW

New electron smell
Aug 23, 2015
San Francisco, CA
An exclusive look at Tesla's extreme cold testing facility — CNET
Disclaimer: nothing here about stuck door handles or windows. This is about how the cars drive on snow and ice.

This could be in the general Tesla area, but I wanted to highlight the part where he covers the Model 3 with and without Track Mode. The short story: looks like a blast!
The Model 3 with all of the electronic nannies on is way more leanient and will let you have plenty of fun before cutting in! Much more so than the Model S it seems. That reminds me of my Subaru WRXs from my days in Canada, where the morning commute was always fun when snow was present even with traction-control on. This makes me very happy!
And Track Mode looks like it is the same but ratcheted up to 11. Woohoo! I want snow, I need to move back to Canada now...

Obligatory: “I can see Russia from my...”
31405990-49C8-471C-8F58-0CEF6563EBD4.jpeg

I prefer California. I can't see Russia (why would that be anyone's selling point?) but I can see mountains, the ocean, the desert, the cities and the countryside. Mostly days are warm and sunny, but it's been near 50 degrees during the day, which we consider cold, and today is raining, which is good, too, though unusual. You can see that we suffer.

By the way, what's in Russia? Can you see the President's oil properties?

[An Alaskan's rant ON] -

I've known about this "proving ground" for a long time, and that Tesla is using it is so ___#$#$%#@!!____ inexcusable that it almost caused me to sell our very large investment in the company.

Fortunately for my sanity and remaining scalp hair, we've been away from my home state for the past several winters and the much more appropriate testing facility we could have offered Tesla is dormant.

It still is galling, irresponsible and truly reprehensible.

[/Rant off]

• Disagree
Reactions: Brando
That Track Mode looks great on snow and ice! Does Lake Tahoe freeze over? Asking for a friend...
I'm not sure, I'm not a Tahoe boy and only traveled there once but from what research says....

The main body of Lake Tahoe does not freeze. The stored heat in the Lake's massive amount of water compared to its relative surface area prevents the Lake from reaching freezing temperature under the prevailing climatic conditions.

[An Alaskan's rant ON] -

I've known about this "proving ground" for a long time, and that Tesla is using it is so ___#$#$%#@!!____ inexcusable that it almost caused me to sell our very large investment in the company.

Fortunately for my sanity and remaining scalp hair, we've been away from my home state for the past several winters and the much more appropriate testing facility we could have offered Tesla is dormant.

It still is galling, irresponsible and truly reprehensible.

[/Rant off]

What’s wrong with it?

So, Brando: you disagree with my rant because you know the back story, or.....?
I tried to find any Tesla factory in Mexico. I couldn't find. So what is your backstory?

What tires? glass? aluminum? come from Mexico?

In Nevada GigaFactory, I THINK I heard an Elon interview and he claimed only bought US steel to build the factory. But I couldn't find that and as it might only be audio, I probably won't ever find it, so can't verify.

PS- I had no idea it was a rant. why/what is your rant about exactly? rant??
You don't like Tesla being called a US built car?? 10,000 parts for most cars come from all over the world, right?

PPS- is it Mexico that supplies those special magnet in Tesla Model 3 motor?

I tried to find any Tesla factory in Mexico. I couldn't find. So what is your backstory?

What tires? glass? aluminum? come from Mexico?

In Nevada GigaFactory, I THINK I heard an Elon interview and he claimed only bought US steel to build the factory. But I couldn't find that and as it might only be audio, I probably won't ever find it, so can't verify.

PS- I had no idea it was a rant. why/what is your rant about exactly? rant??
You don't like Tesla being called a US built car?? 10,000 parts for most cars come from all over the world, right?

PPS- is it Mexico that supplies those special magnet in Tesla Model 3 motor?

I think this belongs in another thread.
Anyway, the two talkings heads said Tesla owns all their own subcontracting suppliers.
And since the Superbottle has a "made in mexico" stamp on the side it would be safe to assume it was from a Tesla factory in Mexico.

What the....

Mexico???? Huh?

I certainly didn't make any mention about Mexico, nor would I. I am concerned solely with what lamentably is occurring in Alaska, most specifically with Tesla performing their tests where they shouldn't.