Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla.com site update is VERY hard to navigate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

israndy

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
The new June 28th update to the Tesla.com site:
Electric Cars, Solar & Clean Energy Storage | Tesla

It's still up as of today and took me quite some time to find a way to log into my account. There is no longer a menubar across the top of the upgraded pages.

On the main page Tesla.com the drop-down menu is the same as the old menubar across the top minus your Account:
  • Model S
  • Model 3
  • Model X
  • Model Y
  • Solar Roof
  • Solar Panels
  • Shop
All these pages seem to be the updated ones that seem to rotate thru as to which is the actual main page. Click the More button at the bottom of the drop-down menu and you get
  • Used inventory
  • Trade-in
  • Cybertruck *
  • Roadster
  • Semi
  • Powerwall
  • Commercial solar
  • Test drive
  • Charging
  • Find Us
  • Support
So where is my Account in all that? If you go to any of the More pages they have a link for it in the drop-down menu. The fastest way to your account is to type Tesla.com/semi. Why is this link not in the main pages?

Well, not ANY of the More pages, Cybertruck doesn't have it, nor does it have a More button, qualifies as broke to me. Find Us and the Inventory pages still have the old menubar across the top that has your Account button.

And don't get me started on the Shop button, that takes you to a whole other world, History there is your shopping history, not your car buying history. And there is no way in the menu to get back to the main site, you have to use the Tesla button in the upper left. Really it should have just have opened in a new window or tab.

Hopefully people are complaining about this inconsistency and Tesla fixes it soon.

The "sign in" link shows up in the navigation on the homepage for me. From your description it sounds like you just need to scroll down.

Screenshot_20200807-123142.png

You can also just bookmark Tesla SSO - Sign In and go directly to your account page.
That seems like more effort for every Tesla customer to do.

Thanks for the screenshots, everyone. I tried it on different browsers and it turns out the menubar across the top is SIZE dependant.
  • If you make the computer window small the menubar disappears, and those items move to the menu, except for the login item.
  • If you make the window larger then the drop-down menu is replaced by the contents of the More menu.
So it looks like they just need to update the menu for small windows to include the login, you know, like on a full-size Mac laptop... geez.

@cypho, what's the deal with your screenshot? It has both items from the first menu and the More menu on the same menu view. What browser/platform are you on?

That seems like more effort for every Tesla customer to do.

Thanks for the screenshots, everyone. I tried it on different browsers and it turns out the menubar across the top is SIZE dependant.
  • If you make the computer window small the menubar disappears, and those items move to the menu, except for the login item.
  • If you make the window larger then the drop-down menu is replaced by the contents of the More menu.
So it looks like they just need to update the menu for small windows to include the login, you know, like on a full-size Mac laptop... geez.

@cypho, what's the deal with your screenshot? It has both items from the first menu and the More menu on the same menu view. What browser/platform are you on?

First screenshot is Google chrome on Android. 2nd screenshot is Google chrome on Chromebook.

If I make the window narrow on my computer, (Chrome on Chromebook) I still see the "log In" in the menu so it still seems like you may just need to scroll down.

Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 3.36.58 PM.png

Yes, sorry, I didn't mention that. I am on a Mac and I did check if I needed to scroll. We are just seeing different pages. Heck, even your two screenshots are different.

What's your menu look like on the CyberTruck page? Is there a login button on that page?

Yes, sorry, I didn't mention that. I am on a Mac and I did check if I needed to scroll. We are just seeing different pages. Heck, even your two screenshots are different.

What's your menu look like on the CyberTruck page? Is there a login button on that page?

Cyber truck page looks just the same. However the black font on black background makes the top navigation text difficult to read.

Is there any chance you have ad blocking plugins/settings enabled?

Adblock is not giving me any trouble on tesla.com, but when I find a website not working right, 90% of the time disabling adblock instantly solves the problem.

Screenshot_20200807-165850.png

I think I was able to replicate your problem. I disabled Javascript and this is what I got. Is there any chance you have javascript disabled?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 5.24.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-07 at 5.24.00 PM.png
    354.9 KB · Views: 57
Nope, javascript is on, but I know I go to sites that complain I have AdBlock turned on.

I just went into extensions and turned off DuckDuckGo, the only privacy extension I had. Still don't see login on CyberTruck page and the More button is only visible when the mouse is over it, so hard to find. I now have only the Grammarly extension turned on. Perhaps it's just what a Mac shows... They may not use Macs at Tesla, certainly don't in the showrooms.