Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla confirms new models

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hofmeister kink - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hofmeisterknick-e36.jpg

To an extreme:
0306_x3_main_jpg_inline_image.jpg

Something related on the Prius:
kick-prius_thumb.jpg

Or could it be the Hochstetter Klink?

Last edited:
According to the article Whitestar looks like this...

with a BMW-style Hofmeister kink in the rear side glass.

Does anyone have a picture of this effect ? I have no idea what this looks like.
Hofmeisterknick-e36.jpg

Wikipedia is your friend. Edit: One step too late, after TEG.

On your other comments, I don't think it is Tesla Motors that is "wishy washy," it's just the magazines and people who are reporting that are giving a bunch of guesses (which is why Siry had to give corrections). And some cars are just hard to define. For example Mazda calls the last car I showed you in the previous post, "Mazda6 5-door" and also refers to it as a "midsized sedan." You can also call it a "hatchback" since it is technically a hatchback. See what I mean?
They obviously already have a design, since the article mentioned that some magazines got a look at it, but just that they aren't showing to the public yet. I don't think TM "pissed off" anyone given the car isn't even unveiled yet.

My point is really this.... You would not have to make all of those corrections if you just said it in the first place. DS seems to be stuck in the reactive rather than the proactive. Just say what it is - even without a picture - and be done with it. I don't think that most people are pissed off at this given time but there will be many at the time of the unveiling - sometime this decade (sacrasm should be noted here). Expectations will be dashed on many account by the unveiling no matter what it really is because they have been so vague and misleading. I for one am already disappointed - not for the looks of the car but in the handling of the PR of it. Again they are doing the leaaking of information thing rather than an announcement. My thoughts are be PROUD of what you have done. Don't try to sneak it out. If the Design is 90% done release the sketch. Sketches are never exactly the shape anyway so slight variations will not matter. A bunch of bad press takes a lot of making up for and a little bit of good press goes a LONG way. Why fight an uphill battle when you do not have to ...

*shrug* I am content to wait.

As of about 6 weeks ago, the design was not completed. And I think they wanted to wait until their new designer was on board to finish and polish it up. If they aren't ready to show it to the world, I assume they are not completely done with it yet, and I am happy to wait until they are done before they show it off.

The thing I keep thinking is: It takes about 2 years to go through all the government mandated crash testing, etc. They can't start that until they finish the design. They keep giving out the 2010 release date. So they have to complete the design soon if they want to hit that date.

I don't think there will be a big disappointment. Whenever they show it to us, we still will have to wait 2 years. The disappointment will be in how much things differ between when they show the initial design specs and if it changes drastically between then and its final release.

I'm guessing the design or a finished enough version of it that they will release it is right around the corner.
I have to say as stopcrazyypp said above, I don't care formally what "kind" of body it has. I want it to look nice in my own subjective eyes, and as long as the total package is good that's what I want. Hatch, sedan, wagon, whatever, just show me the damn design :)

Cobos

Tesla London Media/Customer Event

OK the source of this SUV confusion - and the reason why so much of this is currently coming out in the British press - is that Tesla are hosting a media and customer briefing and driving event in London.

An 'investor' presentation was given to journalists and early customers outlining future plans and models, particularly the Model S platform and how it can be used for a family of potential body styles. Darryl said that, while there were no plans today, it could even be used as the basis for an SUV, if there was a desire for that in the future. In typical journalistic style, one of them then went off and wrote the story that has sparked this thread.

I'd imagine - and this really is my speculation - that if this is info is going to the press now, a wider announcement is imminent.

Also the £108,000 that we discussed above is another mistake. It is thought that they added VAT twice.

Having seen these mistakes hit the web, Darryl had to nip them in the bud.

How do I know all this? Well I just got back from the event. I didn't say anything earlier because I only got an invite a couple of days ago and I wasn't sure if it was public domain until tonight.

Wow, what an evening. I expected to go down for a glass of wine, some canapés and a chat. I ended up driving VP12 round the neighbourhood, drive train 1.5 and all, with Darryl in the passenger seat. :biggrin:

As much as could be tested in the streets of London :)wink:) this thing is rapid, yet at the same time very docile at typical town speeds. I expected the lack of power steering to be a problem, but it is not at all. The steering felt very precise around the short course I went on. I would *love* to get it out on the open road.

I was very wary at first of touching the accelerator and leaping forward - and achieving notoriety by hitting something. However I needn't have worried, the speed is very controllable. Nevertheless, on the short sides of Belgrave Square I was briefly able to open it up and the kick in the back is unbelievable :biggrin:

Khadine also came down (Yes Malcolm - this was at her request :smile:) and went for a ride around the square. I think any remaining scepticism she had was blown away in those 3 laps.

When I finally wiped the grin off my face, I was left with a strange feeling - it's almost like I saw the future. Only it's now, and for real. And it has only served to increase my enthusiasm for the car and, I hope, the direction Tesla is going.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark77a
Thanks guys, it's nice to know the posts are appreciated.

Back to the day job now - could I get to sleep last night...? I'm sure my colleagues will be sick of hearing about it by the end of the day :smile:

It's strange - you can read about it and look at the numbers all you like, but there is no substitute for experiencing 'maximum torque at any speed'. Even around town to take advantage of a gap in the traffic, it's very useful and fun to have it on tap like that.

Reactions: Mark77a
Tesla to work with other brands, Roadster priced at £108k | Automotive & Motoring News | Car Magazine Online

CAR Online has seen sketches of the Model S hatchback. It echoes the Roadster’s front end styling with very similar, almost horizontal lamps but with a deeper, oval front grille. The profile is coupe-like, with a BMW-style Hofmeister kink in the rear side glass.
lol

Tesla will confirm the location of the factory for the Model S in the next few weeks, but it will be in the San Francisco Bay area, and not in Mexico as previously rumoured.

Looks like they updated the article:
Tesla has confirmed that it is working with several major car makers to develop affordable, fully-electric city cars, with the first going on sale as early as 2010.

The new cars on which Tesla is collaborating with mainstream makers will be significantly cheaper and will not compete with its own Model S. Tesla says it can produce coupe, crossover and SUV bodystyles from the bespoke platform of the Model S, but is not actively working on them.
Tesla will confirm the location of the factory for the Model S in the next few weeks, but it will be in the San Francisco Bay area, and not in Mexico as previously rumoured.

Last edited: