Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Covering Some MCU1 Issues for Some Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve tried scheduling an appointment in Europe (Switzerland); have had the whole panel of random reboots, garbled fonts, noise instead of map tiles, audio stutters, loss of connectivity, unresponsive MCU requiring manual reboots for 2 years now. Let’s see how this goes.

Note: I haven’t received any official communication from Tesla regarding this warranty adjustment; so I don’t even know if it applies here in Europe.

well....very interesting thing just happenedView attachment 607138 View attachment 607138 .......I dont mean to burst anyones bubble here, but I reached out to the service center on the mcu daughterboard email, and inquired about when they could perform this. I received a message saying this......just for some context here. I have been experiencing random reboots, frozen maps, laggy spotify, laggy everything that I would characterize from my understanding of a eMMC chip that is definitely struggling due to whatever reason. So, that being said, not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but it doesnt look like Tesla is just going to happily replace these boards

Yep, All those are EMMC failure symptoms, looks like Tesla is betting it wont fail until the warranty expires and avoid having to take responsibility. They could care less that your navigation, voice control etc is basically non functional and that the weekly reboots that disable all main screen controls for 10 minutes per reboot are perfectly acceptable.

Once again, where post sale customer service is concerned, Elon cant do the right thing, just the cheapest thing

Reactions: gmo43
TL;DR - start documenting date/time you are having eMMC issues and provide that to your Service Center.

This is the text I got from the Service Center when I made an appointment to replace the eMMC shortly after I received the email.

"This is Tesla Service reviewing your scheduled appointment regarding your touchscreen concern and/or the recent communication regarding the Warranty Adjustment Program for the Model S/X memory chip. Please note not all concerns may be resolved by the component replacement provided in this program, and each vehicle would require a full diagnosis by our technicians prior to replacing the part under this Adjustment Program. Please also note this is not a recall, and Tesla is not performing any proactive repairs under this program at this time. If you've had any issues with your touchscreen going blank, or intermittently going blank, in the last 14 days, please provide an accurate date and time of the last occurrence. Without an accurate time and date of the occurrence, we are unable to verify a repair."

FYI

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 1.31.09 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 1.31.09 PM.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 122
Great news! It also helps me in deciding NOT to buy the extended warranty. For $4,500, the main reason to do it was for the touch screen. I'm sure other stuff can go, but now that the motors, battery, and touchscreen are all covered for 8 years, I'm feeling I'll come out ahead just keeping the $4,500. Thoughts?
I did buy it, and am thinking of cashing it in now.

Reactions: Speedr117
I don't think my wife is having any issues with her MS but I am taking it to SC for eval. They need to do this for Model 3 as well. Mine is 2018 M3 and experiencing constant backup cam outages. Finally taking my car to SC this week for repair. Cost is over $2000. Hope I will get that reimbursed some day.

Sounds like a different issue than the MCU1 EMMC issue.

TL;DR - start documenting date/time you are having eMMC issues and provide that to your Service Center.

This is the text I got from the Service Center when I made an appointment to replace the eMMC shortly after I received the email.

"This is Tesla Service reviewing your scheduled appointment regarding your touchscreen concern and/or the recent communication regarding the Warranty Adjustment Program for the Model S/X memory chip. Please note not all concerns may be resolved by the component replacement provided in this program, and each vehicle would require a full diagnosis by our technicians prior to replacing the part under this Adjustment Program. Please also note this is not a recall, and Tesla is not performing any proactive repairs under this program at this time. If you've had any issues with your touchscreen going blank, or intermittently going blank, in the last 14 days, please provide an accurate date and time of the last occurrence. Without an accurate time and date of the occurrence, we are unable to verify a repair."
So now we're all expected to keep a notepad in the car to provide Elon with accurate time and date figures for this craziness ?

I'll bet that many owners who insist on taking in their cars to the SC will be billed for a diagnostic visit if the SC deems the problem not to be eMMC related.

This is so Elon... older vehicles are frying their chips into oblivion... but darn it... we're building a GREAT tunnel in Austin.

So now we're all expected to keep a notepad in the car to provide Elon with accurate time and date figures for this craziness ?

I'll bet that many owners who insist on taking in their cars to the SC will be billed for a diagnostic visit if the SC deems the problem not to be eMMC related.

This is so Elon... older vehicles are frying their chips into oblivion... but darn it... we're building a GREAT tunnel in Austin.

Yup, I'm about take my car in for the 3rd time. Both times, the SC wanted to know the exact date/times. This morning they texted me asking to know the exact behavior and date/time. I told them I uploaded a text file to the service request, I shouldnt have to do this! Not sure why they cant just search/grep for every time the MCU reboots, like look in the syslog for keywords or use the "last" command.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I think tesla should just man up and do the recall. This only help a few affected because down the road after the 8 years or 100K miles is when the problem will show up. So again tesla is trying to do the low cost option instead of the correct option to fix this properly. Personally I'm sure a lot older tesla with the MCU1 will have the problem down thr road right outside the exte ded warranty.

Reactions: Evoforce
MCU2 is much faster, shouldn’t have the EMMC issue, has more features like Netflix. The warranty doesn’t apply if you do the upgrade. Only if you stay with MCU1.

If you have emmc problem with mcu1, you get mcu2 at discounted price.

Edit: The relevant bit in Tesla announcement:

"I opted to purchase the Infotainment Upgrade, will I receive reimbursement from Tesla? 
If you paid for Tesla’s Infotainment Upgrade after Tesla Service diagnosed that your vehicle’s eMMC was malfunctioning due to accumulated wear, you may be eligible for reimbursement up to the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade."

No email yet...and I don't see any other Canucks saying so here....so this may only be a US endeavour. I had my MCU1 replaced in June - prior to the daughterboard fix. I paid the $270 ($CDN) deductible on the extended service....so I'm hoping to get that back.

I am in Toronto and got the email the same day the others did (Nov 9th). 2015 P85D. Slow, laggy, random reboots maybe once a week so I doubt it will get fixed based on what I am seeing here.