Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CPO: Smoke free? Or,...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd also like to know this. I've been in a rental car with the most horrible smell ever. Took a while to find out that's how bad it smells if someone smokes in there. It gets into everything and it's totally impossible to clean.

With the current chaos level in Tesla pre-owned sales, I'd say there's no way to know for sure. Only thing is that you can refuse delivery but then they'll take their sweet time before you get your money back.

No assurances and sometimes it gets bad that no matter how much cleaning, there will be some faint smell, esp when its hot outside. I know because my CPO Model S had cigarette smell but i was so hyped on getting the car, i overlooked it. Luckily, with treatments, the odor is all gone but do not let that blind you when picking up your car :(

I just purchased a used Tesla from Tesla this past weekend and am waiting for them to tell me to pick it up. When I spoke with the sales representative, he told me that Tesla will not re-sell a car that has been smoked in. Slight cosmetic damage that can be repaired - yes. Smoked in, no? He was adamant about that so we'll see. I hope not since I'm flying down to Orlando to pick it up and drive back to Atlanta. It would suck for it to have been smoked in.

And I can tell you by experience that an ozone machine will NOT permanently remove cigarette smell. Nothing will due to the odor permeating not only the textiles/foam in your seats, carpets, and sidewall materials, but also any plastics. It also gets into the ventilation system and attaches to any foreign particulates, such as dust, etc. I bought my mother a used Smart Car Fortwo that had been smoked in and the dealer promised they could remove the smell but after multiple uses of the ozone machine, seat/carpeting shampoo, etc, it smelled like crap ESPECIALLY on a hot day.

When I picked up my used S from Tesla it smelled like it had been vaped in whenever the AC/heat was on. Tesla swapped the cabin air filter for me, and the smell went away. Not as challenging as cigarette smoke, but don't overlook the easy stuff.