Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cutting costs and refusing to repair paint damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is very worrying. Can you pls share more details? I had to wait 4 weeks when somebody contacted me when my model 3 p was delivered and it had 4-6 paint defects on 29.3.2019 At the moment in Finland there is 18 who has paint issues. We already have topic regarding this on here. Also Canadians paint is wearing completely off in 1 year and they are in rust. Check video: Streamable - free video publishing Forum link: Model 3 paint wearing off

I made this a public thing that Model 3 paint is not durable in harsh conditions. This is a design fail because they forgot to add mudguards, ppf:t etc to Model 3 in harsh conditions. This very bad to Tesla

Any options to buy mudguards? I’m tired of the dirt on my white M3 after ra

auto manufactures have been using various materials, methods, and designs to protect the most sensitive painted areas of their vehicles for decades. Seems a few dollars invested in some of the more "damage prone" areas like the lower rocker panel, lower front bumper/air dam area and behind each wheel would go along way towards eliminating this easy to fix issue. What am I missing?
Nothing. For those of us that care, that’s what I did.

Tesla is refusing to fix rattles as well as a cost cutting measure.
This is a market economy, we will see how much those measures will cost Tesla for a long run.
I personally, gave up an idea of buying the second Tesla, and looking for a plug-in hybrid instead.

• Informative
Reactions: Big-T
I just talked to a coworker that picked up his model 3 last week. Delivery agent promised that fisheye in paint would be addressed and resolved by service center after delivery. So he scheduled an appointment and was contacted this morning by a repair technician that said certain paint issues are no longer repaired by Tesla and are within specifications. Has anyone else experienced this as well?
Lesson learned: get everything in writing.

• Informative
Reactions: Big-T
When I picked mine up 2 weeks ago - pre "save money" email Delivery would not offer to repair scratches that were through the paint in the rear bumper - likely transport damage. Told me Red was too hard to match and they would not paint it. I asked if they could try and buff some of it out - they said no take it or order a new one. Talked to service and they said it would be no problem to match, and told delivery to include it on the list and they did. Now getting it fixed would will be another issue.

I must say that such things are hardly imaginable in Europe...and luckily we usually experience far less lackadaisical or indifferent service. Sometimes --especially in overstretched Service Centres-- we get promises that take a looooooong time to get honoured, especially when the US logistics/delivery organisation gets involved (in some countries getting AP or FSD enabled is a veritable nightmare; obviously Tesla's constant changes about the pricing and what is/is not included and its propensity to shuffle features around make it difficult to manage).

Last edited:
auto manufactures have been using various materials, methods, and designs to protect the most sensitive painted areas of their vehicles for decades. Seems a few dollars invested in some of the more "damage prone" areas like the lower rocker panel, lower front bumper/air dam area and behind each wheel would go along way towards eliminating this easy to fix issue. What am I missing?
Your missing the fact that the car should be able to withstand YEARS of abuse without the owner having to spend extra to do what the factory should have done.

What do you think the word "warranty" means?

Tesla would NOT be at fault if this happened to ALL manufacturers selling cars in Quebec like Ford, Mercedes, Toyota, etc., BUT IT DOESN'T.

Je me souviens that IT NEVER HAPPENED. Only Tesla is facing class actions for bad paint.

When I picked mine up 2 weeks ago - pre "save money" email Delivery would not offer to repair scratches that were through the paint in the rear bumper - likely transport damage. Told me Red was too hard to match and they would not paint it. I asked if they could try and buff some of it out - they said no take it or order a new one. Talked to service and they said it would be no problem to match, and told delivery to include it on the list and they did. Now getting it fixed would will be another issue.
What is PPF. Thank you.
paint protection film. Clear bra.

It pretty cheap to put on all those areas. You could even order the precut kits from eBay and do it yourself.

I must say that such things are hardly imaginable in Europe...and luckily we usually experience far less lackadaisical or indifferent service. Sometimes --especially in overstretched Service Centres-- we get promises that take a looooooong time to get honoured, especially when the US logistics/delivery organisation gets involved (in some countries getting AP or FSD enabled is a veritable nightmare; obviously Tesla's constant changes about the pricing and what is/is not included and its propensity to shuffle features around make it difficult to manage).
In Europe, if I'm right - all cars use the same chargers. And, at least when I've been there, it would be unlikely to really want to drive more than 200 miles at a stretch.

If it wasn't for Tesla's charging network, and the relatively short range of it, I'd have ordered an I-Pace instead of a 3P.