Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cutting costs and refusing to repair paint damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just talked to a coworker that picked up his model 3 last week. Delivery agent promised that fisheye in paint would be addressed and resolved by service center after delivery. So he scheduled an appointment and was contacted this morning by a repair technician that said certain paint issues are no longer repaired by Tesla and are within specifications. Has anyone else experienced this as well?

No but I will share my own little experience along the same thread:

- Took delivery 3/30 (at home delivery)
- Submitted my punch list of items to take care of a couple days later
- Dropped by the service center a day after that to talk specifically about the (admittedly small) paint issues in person. The employee came out, agreed that the damage was there and took some of her own pictures. She said they don't do that kind of correction there, they would outsource for repair

Now, here's where maybe I made a little mistake..... I wanted to get a ceramic coating on my Model 3, and I asked, since they're outsourcing if I could just have the detailing shop take care of it and submit the bill. She said she said my shop wasn't in their normal approved set of 3rd parties so she'd have to forward an invoice for that up for approval. Sure, thing I say, and submitted the bill.

- A few days go by, no communication from Tesla, I send a follow up email.
- Couple more days go by, silence
- A week goes by, I send a 3rd email, nothing.

At this point, I already had a standing appointment to get the ceramic coat done, I went ahead and dropped my car off, had them do the paint correction and ceramic coat. It turned out great, but still nothing from Tesla.

A couple weeks later I need to stop into the service center for an unrelated issue so I ask about the reimbursement or payment to the shop. They can't find anything in my details, the employee that was working there at the time is not there anymore....They are able to find my email history though and let me know I can take it to one of their authorized 3rd parties and get it done. I let them know that we're over a month out and multiple unanswered emails into this, so I already got the work done can they just work with me here and reimburse me for the paint correction that's been documented. The employee didn't seem to think this was going to work.

I said hey, look I take some responsibility for going out of the approved network for this, but I'd like you guys to take some responsibility for letting over a month go by and not following up on any of my communication about this. If you have a contracted/reduced rate with your people just reimburse me for that I'll take a hit on the difference.

Again, they have to discuss it with management. I was promised a call the next day - No call. I wanted another few days, no call. So I stop by the service center again in person. "Oh sorry, I realized I didn't have your number after you left" is what I got.....That's some BS right there, you had my file open, you have my email at the very least even if you didn't bother to open up my account which I'm sure has my VIN, CC# and contact info. It's not like I haven't had 3 other service visits already.

Bottom line once I got there was, we won't reimburse you for the correction because you went outside of our process. Also no partial reimbursement, or reimbursement of the contract rate they have. No one argues there wasn't paint damage though.

Fortunately this was only between $200-$300 worth of work, and again I understand I went outside their approval process - but frankly when you need multiple emails, multiple in person visits and get no communication when I'm not the one forcing the issue, then the process is broken.

I just talked to a coworker that picked up his model 3 last week. Delivery agent promised that fisheye in paint would be addressed and resolved by service center after delivery. So he scheduled an appointment and was contacted this morning by a repair technician that said certain paint issues are no longer repaired by Tesla and are within specifications. Has anyone else experienced this as well?

This is very worrying. Can you pls share more details? I had to wait 4 weeks when somebody contacted me when my model 3 p was delivered and it had 4-6 paint defects on 29.3.2019 At the moment in Finland there is 18 who has paint issues. We already have topic regarding this on here. Also Canadians paint is wearing completely off in 1 year and they are in rust. Check video: Streamable - free video publishing Forum link: Model 3 paint wearing off

I made this a public thing that Model 3 paint is not durable in harsh conditions. This is a design fail because they forgot to add mudguards, ppf:t etc to Model 3 in harsh conditions. This very bad to Tesla

When he picked it up, did they promise in writing on the due bill to fix it?

If so, they are legally obligated to do so.

If not, he's likely SOL (and bad on him for not getting it written out)

When he picked it up, did they promise in writing on the due bill to fix it?

If so, they are legally obligated to do so.

If not, he's likely SOL (and bad on him for not getting it written out)

Tesla agreed to give me an upgrade to 19” wheels but when the car was ready for pickup they had not ordered the wheels. I told them I would take delivery as long as they gave me something in writing that they still owe me the wheels. They told me they will add it to my due bill but they don’t ever put anything in writing.

I let them know I won’t be picking up the car until I get something in writing. Eventually a manager appeared and gave it to me, but only after I pressed really hard and refused to take delivery without it. So while I know better, a lot of people don’t know you have to push really hard with Tesla to get them to do the right thing. And really they shouldn’t have to.

- Dropped by the service center a day after that to talk specifically about the (admittedly small) paint issues in person. The employee came out, agreed that the damage was there and took some of her own pictures. She said they don't do that kind of correction there, they would outsource for repair

Now, here's where maybe I made a little mistake..... I wanted to get a ceramic coating on my Model 3, and I asked, since they're outsourcing if I could just have the detailing shop take care of it and submit the bill. She said she said my shop wasn't in their normal approved set of 3rd parties so she'd have to forward an invoice for that up for approval. Sure, thing I say, and submitted the bill.

At this point, I already had a standing appointment to get the ceramic coat done, I went ahead and dropped my car off, had them do the paint correction and ceramic coat. It turned out great, but still nothing from Tesla.

A couple weeks later I need to stop into the service center for an unrelated issue so I ask about the reimbursement or payment to the shop. They can't find anything in my details, the employee that was working there at the time is not there anymore....They are able to find my email history though and let me know I can take it to one of their authorized 3rd parties and get it done. I let them know that we're over a month out and multiple unanswered emails into this, so I already got the work done can they just work with me here and reimburse me for the paint correction that's been documented. The employee didn't seem to think this was going to work.

I said hey, look I take some responsibility for going out of the approved network for this, but I'd like you guys to take some responsibility for letting over a month go by and not following up on any of my communication about this. If you have a contracted/reduced rate with your people just reimburse me for that I'll take a hit on the difference.

Again, they have to discuss it with management. I was promised a call the next day - No call. I wanted another few days, no call. So I stop by the service center again in person. "Oh sorry, I realized I didn't have your number after you left" is what I got.....That's some BS right there, you had my file open, you have my email at the very least even if you didn't bother to open up my account which I'm sure has my VIN, CC# and contact info. It's not like I haven't had 3 other service visits already.

Bottom line once I got there was, we won't reimburse you for the correction because you went outside of our process. Also no partial reimbursement, or reimbursement of the contract rate they have. No one argues there wasn't paint damage though.

Fortunately this was only between $200-$300 worth of work, and again I understand I went outside their approval process - but frankly when you need multiple emails, multiple in person visits and get no communication when I'm not the one forcing the issue, then the process is broken.

Your experience mirrors mine almost EXACTLY! After waiting two weeks from delivery emailing norcalconcerns@tesla multiple times I took it in for service. The guy was really nice and took pictures of everything. Since it had been so long I decided to get my own paint correction and ceramic done. FINALLY over a month after delivery I schedule another appointment and put in the notes “I want to talk about my paint concerns at delivery”. I get an email back the next day “I understand you had a concern about the paint on your hood.”

Me: Um, yeah that and about 8 other places but I already got it it fixed.

Tesla: okay, well we don’t cover third party repairs, so thanks and enjoy your car!

What was I supposed to do, wait several weeks then have the car repainted by a THIRD PARTY shop later on? We all know that paint will never match the factory’s...

Reactions: Big-T
I would try to avoid accepting a car that has significant paint issues. The time involved to mess around with Tesla approving a third party shop to do the repairs, then scheduling the appointment and being without your car while it’s getting done seems like it’s just not worth the hassle to me. I understand sometimes it’s difficult to go this route if another car is not immediately available and you already sold your existing vehicle. But if at all possible it’s best to reject cars with paint issues since the Tesla service centers can’t do the repairs.

Reality is that Tesla paint jobs are not flawless show car quality.

Tesla makes over 5,000 of these every week. If you look hard enough you will be able to find flaws. I have seen published check lists where they advocate a buyer go over every inch of their car with high intensity lighting, plus use sophisticated paint thickness measurements to make sure their paint is even over every panel. Tough standard for any volume manufacturer to attain.

Problem is that even if Tesla repaints the problem areas, a vigilant inspector will still be able to locate flaws. For the most picky, nothing will ever be good enough.

Balancing this all out, their have also been many reports form new owners stating that to them their new Tesla has been delivered in a flawless condition. Shows that it can be done, but perhaps not on every single car at delivery.

Some high end cars may have higher quality paint, but even on those they are not always show quality.
If your car can be fixed for $200-$300 at a detail shop to get ready for an aftermarket ceramic coating, that is pretty normal for most production vehicles. Most all detailers will go over their cars with a fine tooth comb to prepare them for the very expensive ceramic coatings. They typically use powerful buffers all over the cars to smooth down the production finishes.

Some small fish eye, orange peal or other imperfections are pretty normal for high production paint booths. Show car finishes are very expensive and time consuming.

Understand Tesla not wanting to pay for this detailing and prep work for an unauthorized shop. (also understand that the owner also would like to find someone else to pick up their tab for the prep).

On the other hand, if a new owner sees significant scratches, large paint runs or obvious signs of a defective paint job, it would be the obligation of Tesla to make it right.

I had paint issues when my car was delivered to me but Tesla did address the issues within weeks and drop some fixes as well that I didn't know there were there.

Overall, it seems that it's a hit and miss with their service since I had amazing experiences when going to their service center.

This is very worrying. Can you pls share more details? I had to wait 4 weeks when somebody contacted me when my model 3 p was delivered and it had 4-6 paint defects on 29.3.2019 At the moment in Finland there is 18 who has paint issues. We already have topic regarding this on here. Also Canadians paint is wearing completely off in 1 year and they are in rust. Check video: Streamable - free video publishing Forum link: Model 3 paint wearing off

I made this a public thing that Model 3 paint is not durable in harsh conditions. This is a design fail because they forgot to add mudguards, ppf:t etc to Model 3 in harsh conditions. This very bad to Tesla

Forgot to add mudguards? Um no

I don’t drive in harsh conditions but I still put ppf on areas prone to dmg. Why wouldn’t you do the same?

Why would you do ceramic before paint correction? That doesn’t make any sense.

Reality is that Tesla paint jobs are not flawless show car quality.

Tesla makes over 5,000 of these every week. If you look hard enough you will be able to find flaws. I have seen published check lists where they advocate a buyer go over every inch of their car with high intensity lighting, plus use sophisticated paint thickness measurements to make sure their paint is even over every panel. Tough standard for any volume manufacturer to attain.

Problem is that even if Tesla repaints the problem areas, a vigilant inspector will still be able to locate flaws. For the most picky, nothing will ever be good enough.

Balancing this all out, their have also been many reports form new owners stating that to them their new Tesla has been delivered in a flawless condition. Shows that it can be done, but perhaps not on every single car at delivery.

Some high end cars may have higher quality paint, but even on those they are not always show quality.
If your car can be fixed for $200-$300 at a detail shop to get ready for an aftermarket ceramic coating, that is pretty normal for most production vehicles. Most all detailers will go over their cars with a fine tooth comb to prepare them for the very expensive ceramic coatings. They typically use powerful buffers all over the cars to smooth down the production finishes.

Some small fish eye, orange peal or other imperfections are pretty normal for high production paint booths. Show car finishes are very expensive and time consuming.

Understand Tesla not wanting to pay for this detailing and prep work for an unauthorized shop. (also understand that the owner also would like to find someone else to pick up their tab for the prep).

On the other hand, if a new owner sees significant scratches, large paint runs or obvious signs of a defective paint job, it would be the obligation of Tesla to make it right.
The Houston guy who does a lot of the Teslas has dealers sending him $400,000 cars for paint correction before they go into the showroom.

Screenshot_20190527-123540.jpg
Screenshot_20190527-123547.jpg
Whaaat? This makes no sense. If the paint is completely wearing off in a year and rusting, that’s a warranty issue and Tesla would have to cover it. As far as I know, all new cars also have a corrosion/rust warranty.

Yep. Have a look.

Tesla owners in Quebec going to court against Tesla because paint is coming off in less than a year (French article) : teslamotors

And the the video... :mad::eek: Tesla has denied repairs.

Streamable - free video publishing

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
auto manufactures have been using various materials, methods, and designs to protect the most sensitive painted areas of their vehicles for decades. Seems a few dollars invested in some of the more "damage prone" areas like the lower rocker panel, lower front bumper/air dam area and behind each wheel would go along way towards eliminating this easy to fix issue. What am I missing?